• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pizza is a Vegetable

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Uh huh. And our Idaho Potato Commission has a dog in this fight too. Seems they want kids to be able to have french fries 6 days a week instead of the 4 allowed now. No wonder too many of us are shaped like potatoes.

Jim

Last edited:

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Maine we have a saying that even if your cat has kittens in the oven, you still cannot them biscuits.

My mother used to say you cannot make something true just by saying it is.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I remember in the 70's when I was in elementary school, slapping down a big spoonful of ketchup on our cafeteria plates satisfied the "vegetable" requirement. Not much difference than the tomato paste on a slice of pizza, IMO.

Kurt

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeez, I checked Snopes on this, because it seemed so weird.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think serving vegtarian pizza in school lunches is actually a great way to get kids to eat more veggies!

This is Papa Murphey's Gourmet Veggie - my favorite!

MainGourmetVegetarian.sflb.ashx

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think serving vegtarian pizza in school lunches is actually a great way to get kids to eat more veggies!
I agree. The title of the article was very misleading, to say the least. They are not saying that pizza is a vegetable, they are saying that a slice of pizza can contain a serving of vegetables. BIG difference, IMO.

Kurt

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
A supreme pizza is the perfect food. You have something from all four food groups: meat, dairy, grains, and vegetable.

My four food groups are salty, cheesy, greasy, beer. Pizza only fills 3 of my 4 nutritional requirements.

davhu1

Reaction score
According to Oxford Dictionary: Tomato is technically the fruit of the tomato plant, but it's used as a vegetable in cooking. Therefore pizza, has ZERO vegetable.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to Oxford Dictionary: Tomato is technically the fruit of the tomato plant, but it's used as a vegetable in cooking. Therefore pizza, has ZERO vegetable.

OR, Education is knowing that tomatoes are fruits. Experience is knowing not to put them in fruit salad. :)

Jim

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. The title of the article was very misleading, to say the least. They are not saying that pizza is a vegetable, they are saying that a slice of pizza can contain a serving of vegetables. BIG difference, IMO.

Kurt

No, what they are saying is that the negligible amount of tomato sauce on a slice of pizza qualifies that slice as a serving of vegetables.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, what they are saying is that the negligible amount of tomato sauce on a slice of pizza qualifies that slice as a serving of vegetables.
I'm not arguing about counting a small amount of tomato paste (2 tbs!) as a serving of vegetables. That certainly is not equivalent to the standard 1/2 cup of vegetables as a serving.

But the original title of the article said "pizza is a vegetable" -- that is the part that was misleading. They are not saying that pizza is a vegetable, they are saying that pizza could contain a serving of vegetables. The editor took a huge leap to come up with that title, and they just did it to manufacture a shock value. Cheap journalism, at its best.

Kurt

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not arguing about counting a small amount of tomato paste (2 tbs!) as a serving of vegetables. That certainly is not equivalent to the standard 1/2 cup of vegetables as a serving.

But the original title of the article said "pizza is a vegetable" -- that is the part that was misleading. They are not saying that pizza is a vegetable, they are saying that pizza could contain a serving of vegetables. The editor took a huge leap to come up with that title, and they just did it to manufacture a shock value. Cheap journalism, at its best.

Kurt

But I think that you and I can agree that as soon as someone is allowed to call pizza a vegetable, for that purpose it will become one. As far as what the law means, it means that pizza is a vegetable. In this instance, I think the use of the shock title is an acceptable mirror of the shocking decision. (Of course, you may disagree, which is cool, too.)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Pizza. It has been a significant part of my diet for over 50 years and I am still here clicking right along at age 76.

George

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw the news story on this topic on TV tonight. I had passed it up til now but realized what the title was actually meaning now! It said frozen pizza too , ack, with no mention of real vegetables on top.

Unbelievably sad :eek:

Last edited:

mecllap

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always put some slices of fresh tomato on my pizza slices -- knowing full well that they are a fruit, but with similar (some better) bennies to vegs. I was quite surprised, however, when I went to diabetes training to learn that corn and peas are not counted as vegs but as carbs (but at least they do have fiber).

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Soon it will be revealed that blinking while watching tv is exercise.:D