• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Photo's from our HHV vacation

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Also, since you are there now, how crowded is it? Does it seem unusually more crowded or less crowded? I imagine this time of year will be different from April due to Spring Break but I just want to get a general feel. Thanks!

Crowded is such a subjective matter. IMO, it's busy but not overly crowded. There does appear to be a convention that hit the Rainbow Tower either yesterday or today and traffic around that particular check in seems rather brisk. Still, it's been easy to get around, I haven't felt like I was in a huge crowd and we haven't had an issue getting a table for any meals we've eaten on the grounds.

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! Going to the Lagoon Towers in a few weeks, and can hardly wait.

It's almost time to call them with a room request. I have a 2BR+, so my "partial ocean view" should be similar to yours. Which side of the building do you think is best to request? Since you can't see Diamond Head, might it be better to request a harbor view (Ala Moana side of the building)? Or do you think your view of the pool is a better choice?

Thanks.
-Bob

Blues,

My favorite 2 bedroom plus at the Lagoon Tower is 1960. It is a corner unit with two lanais - one off the dining room and the other off the living area. It has a good view of the ocean, the lagoon and Diamond Head. We've also enjoyed the fireworks and the luau from the lanai.

nonutrix

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite 2 bedroom plus at the Lagoon Tower is 1960. It is a corner unit with two lanais - one off the dining room and the other off the living area. It has a good view of the ocean, the lagoon and Diamond Head. We've also enjoyed the fireworks and the luau from the lanai.

Thanks! And thanks to dougp26364 and everyone else for the replies.

So, for room 1960, what's the configuration of the 2nd bedroom? We're going with another couple, and I want them to have a double, queen, or king bed; not a pair of twin beds.

-Bob

HatTrick

Reaction score
Although there's at least one convention at HHV right now, and the Sony Open (golf) is going on, it's definitely less crowded here than it's been in January for quite some time. There's ample parking, even with the new GW tower.

Speaking of parking, a little has been added to floors 2-5 of the existing garage. About 30 stalls have been added to each floor on the Ala Moana Blvd. side of garage. These stalls are adjacent to an elevator that takes you down to the GW entrance, which is off of Ala Moana (Hobron Lane).

This is useful because the concrete staircases on the village side of the garage are rather "low rent" for a place like this. And with the lawn of the Lagoon tower being partially blocked by construction, there's a long and narrow path from the garage to the tower. (The elevated walkway that once took you from the parking garage directly into the Lagoon lobby no longer exists.)

Taking the elevator brings you to either (2nd floor) the GW's outer lobby or (1st floor) out to the GW's storefront (currently unoccupied) on Hobron Lane. If you take the 1st floor, you walk to the left and up some stairs to the GW outer lobby. Then it's across the new GW/Lagoon check-in area, and down some stairs (where the old Lagoon check-in was) or down the handicap-access/luggage ramp to Lagoon's elevators.

(FYI, we were told by a bell captain that Grand Waikikian's sales have stalled at about 35%.)

There's construction on both sides of Lagoon (pool on one side, replacement of the parking circle on the Lagoon green side) but the pool construction seems to be noisier.

Also new at HHV is a luau on Sunday and Wednesday nights, on the Lagoon green (the part that isn't under construction). Looks like it's taking the place of the Royal Hawaiian luau, since RH has been closed for renovation. Don't know if the luau will return to RH or stay here; it's been at HHV since last July. $95 per person, but that should be no surprise! :annoyed:

Update: We met Gloria Estefan at last night's luau. She has an unexpectedly strong handshake!

Roger

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the update. :)

Any info on the new Grand Waikikian prestige room category?
I'm assuming plus and premier means oceanview and oceanfront (just like Lagoon Tower) but what is prestige for the Grand Waikikian?

We now have the following additional room categories for the Grand Waikikian:
1 BR PRESTIGE
1 BR PRESTIGE +
1 BR PRESTIGE PREMIER
2 BR PRESTIGE
2 BR PRESTIGE +
2 BR PRESTIGE PREMIER

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Saw your latest photos

dougp26364,

Wow, were your pictures of the seal and turtle taken from the beach in front of HHV?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Thanks for the update. :)

Any info on the new Grand Waikikian prestige room category?
I'm assuming plus and premier means oceanview and oceanfront (just like Lagoon Tower) but what is prestige for the Grand Waikikian?

We now have the following additional room categories for the Grand Waikikian:
1 BR PRESTIGE
1 BR PRESTIGE +
1 BR PRESTIGE PREMIER
2 BR PRESTIGE
2 BR PRESTIGE +
2 BR PRESTIGE PREMIER

You must have missed this link being posted earlier. It shows exactly where those units are located in the tower.
http://www.grandwaikikian.com/021_viewtype_T_E.php

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
dougp26364,

Wow, were your pictures of the seal and turtle taken from the beach in front of HHV?

No, those were on a beach on north shore. I just haven't had time to label all the photo's yet. The birds and most of the flowers are on HHV grounds.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I'm not following you. Where does the link show the difference between a prestige room and non prestige room?

I thought that site had the difference, my bad.

I would have to guess, based on the description, these are extraordinary view or location, might translate to the higher floors in there building. So not all oceanviews in that picture are the same point categories. The higher the floor the higher the point value, or perhaps some of them are corner units.

Does anyone who owns or has toured GW got any information on this, so it can be a definitive answer and NOT a guess.

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! And thanks to dougp26364 and everyone else for the replies.

So, for room 1960, what's the configuration of the 2nd bedroom? We're going with another couple, and I want them to have a double, queen, or king bed; not a pair of twin beds.

-Bob

Blues,

The 1960 unit might not work for you if you will be traveling with another couple. The extra bedroom has two twins. Aside from that, I find it to be very large and well laid out. It is the ocean side corner unit, thus the two lanais.

Hope this helps!

nonutrix

HatTrick

Reaction score
FWIW, I asked at the front desk and was told that the 2BR-LO on the marina side of the Lagoon tower has a king in the guest (studio) room, and the 2BR-LO on the Diamond Head side has two doubles.

Roger

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
FWIW, I asked at the front desk and was told that the 2BR-LO on the marina side of the Lagoon tower has a king in the guest (studio) room, and the 2BR-LO on the Diamond Head side has two doubles.

Roger

This is something I'll keep in mind if we ever request to exchange back into this resort and I can spy a 2 bedroom unit. Under normal circumstances, I'd go for the king size bed but, after having been there, I'm sure we'd really prefer the Lagoon side of the building. We felt fortunate to have been placed on that side this past trip.