• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Perks worth it

B4d 24

Reaction score
Just bought a Westin timeshare on Maui yesterday. From reading this wonderful site it looks like I can and should rescind. I did like some of the perks like lifetime gold elite status at Marriott hotels. I was told if I buy a timeshare secondhand I don’t get thst perk plus I’d lose the other sign up bonuses (bribes). Is this true? If I like the gold status perk what other good options exist for this benefit? (I did see I can get like 2 AmEx’s or something like that for gold status). Is this perk even worth it? Thanks!!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
"Lifetime gold" is worth little to nothing (free breakfast at Marriott hotels, maybe), isn't really lifetime -- it goes away if you sell your timeshare, and you can get it for ~$100/year by having the right AmEx credit card.

Rescind. You paid too much for your timeshare.

B4d 24

Reaction score
No perks are worth whatever it is you paid. Rescind now....

George

im not trying to be contrarian here but a little more context would be helpful. I basically got the flex deal for $13k with 81k options every other year. They added another 81k as a “signing bonus” plus some bonvoy points etc. I know now I can find a much better deal on the TS alone but I guess what are people’s thoughts on the additional gold elite perks etc?

B4d 24

Reaction score
"Lifetime gold" is worth little to nothing (free breakfast at Marriott hotels, maybe), isn't really lifetime -- it goes away if you sell your timeshare, and you can get it for ~$100/year by having the right AmEx credit card.

Rescind. You paid too much for your timeshare.
So upgrades not worth it...or it doesn’t happen very much? Sorry for all the dumb questions...noob here

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You got along without the perks thus far in life. You don’t need them now just because a timeshare salesman said you do.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
So upgrades not worth it...or it doesn’t happen very much?
I've been comped Gold status for the last I-don't-know-how-many-years through a credit card. The fact that this status is comped for relatively low fees should tell you something. The term "upgrade" is used here loosely---it can mean as little as "upper floor," it almost never e.g. means "club room," and it specifically never means "suite."

More broadly: if you have questions, any questions at all, rescind while you can and do your research. If you later decide that this purchase was a good one, call the sales office back, tell them you changed your mind, and would like the same deal you have right now. My guess is that they will fall all over themselves to write up the term sheet. (And that should probably tell you something too.)

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
im not trying to be contrarian here but a little more context would be helpful. I basically got the flex deal for $13k with 81k options every other year. They added another 81k as a “signing bonus” plus some bonvoy points etc. I know now I can find a much better deal on the TS alone but I guess what are people’s thoughts on the additional gold elite perks etc?

You can buy 81K annual options on the resale market for about 25% of what you paid for 81K every other year options from the developer.

The perks are worth a couple thousand dollars (the bonus 81K options are worth $1000 - $1800; the Bonvoy points are worth about $0.008 each; you don't say how many they "gave" you).

You overpaid by about 200%.

It is your choice whether those perks are worth the extra $8-10K.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As indicated, there are far cheaper ways to get Bonvoy Gold status, which in reality is the old Bonvoy silver. It has little real world value. As you have found, you basically get gold now for free. Looking at the Bonvoy website, it doesn't look like gold includes free breakfast and with so many Platinum and Titanium members, upgrades are probably fairly limited.

There are far cheaper ways to get 81,000 or even more Options via the resale market.

B4d 24

Reaction score
You can buy 81K annual options on the resale market for about 25% of what you paid for 81K every other year options from the developer.

The perks are worth a couple thousand dollars (the bonus 81K options are worth $1000 - $1800; the Bonvoy points are worth about $0.008 each; you don't say how many they "gave" you).

You overpaid by about 200%.

It is your choice whether those perks are worth the extra $8-10K.

this is what I was trying to get at!!! Basically I was wondering if the lifetime gold status was worth $8-10k. Like would I get my money’s worth with getting 5th night free and upgrades etc? I was wondering peoples’ experience with it. So far it sounds not worth the extra. Thanks for all the responses!!!

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
this is what I was trying to get at!!! Basically I was wondering if the lifetime gold status was worth $8-10k. Like would I get my money’s worth with getting 5th night free and upgrades etc? I was wondering peoples’ experience with it. So far it sounds not worth the extra. Thanks for all the responses!!!

Definitely not worth it because a) many of these benefits can be gotten for free (5th night free requires no elite status); b) Gold status can be gotten much "cheaper" via holding a credit card and paying the annual fee (which may garner you other benefits); c) Marriott can change the benefits at any time; and d) the benefits themselves have limited value (at the Gold level very rare to get any upgrade worthwhile and remember that you should be staying in hotels LESS if you're using your timeshare).

As everyone else has said, RESCIND before the cooling off period expires, read and research here....if MVC is still for you, buy something resale.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you want the hotel perks more than the timeshare points. You can google the hotel credit cards and see all the benefits that come with each card. Often you can get more hotel benefits via the credit cards and for far less money. However, I haven't had a Marriott credit card and don't have any experience with that type.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Because you have many questions about how all this works, RESCIND NOW while you have the chance. Do some research. You can accomplish what you think you want to now for far less money. Plus, next time you feel the need to buy a timeshare, you'll be an educated consumer and you can make a better decision on how you spend your money. Timeshares are luxuries so it's never a good idea to take out a loan for them. If you can't pay cash, don't do it. Every day we get posts from people who fell for the salesman's talk and now find themselves stuck with ongoing mortgage payments plus never-ending and always-increasing maintenenace fees. They are past the rescission period and don't have the option you do to get out now!

Be sure to follow exactly the instructions in your purchase agreement about rescission. Be sure everyone who signed the purchase contract also signs the simple letter where you state that you're exercising your legal right to rescind your purchase and have any money paid refunded. Send your letter by USPS certified mail so that you have a receipt from the post office showing that you rescinded in time. The key part of rescission is doing it within the specified time period and being able to prove that you did.

Once you've rescinded, start your timeshare education and learn all you can about timesharing with the best results. You've come to the right place--TUG.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind NOW. You can get the Bonvoy AMEX card with $450 annual fee and get automatic gold status every year for far less money! Or you can get either of the Bonvoy Chase cards ($95 AF or Free depending on the card you chose) and get 15 elite night credits per year, and qualify for gold with only 10 nights per year. I have gold status this way every year, and reach platinum occasionally.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
So upgrades not worth it...or it doesn’t happen very much? Sorry for all the dumb questions...noob here
What you paid, for what they sold you, its a terrible deal.
I hit titanium status by staying nights on accommodation certificates last year. I’ve already hit platinum for next year (on my way to titanium again).

You’ll earn elite night credit for the nights you stay in your timeshare. The Gold elite status is worthless. They don’t even give you breakfast or lounge access anymore.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
For $13k you can get a 2 bdrm EOY OCEANFRONT resale at the Westin North property with 187,000 options. This can be locked off into a 1 bdrm and studio giving you two weeks or 1 week plus 81k points to use here or elsewhere in the SVN system for another week in a studio. Rescind now, research resale, and pick up an AMEX credit card for the gold status if you want it.

What does 81K Flex buy? A studio in WKORV or Nanea overlooking the parking lot? If you are lucky you might get an inner resort view.

Which perk would you rather have? Parking lot view from a studio and gold status (developer)? or Oceanview/front 2 bdrm which can be locked off into 2 weeks (resale)?

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Well thanks for everyone’s advice!! I rescinded today!!! I guess still gotta find a nice TS on the resale market now

@Grammarhero - just in case you missed this one for the savings tally....