• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pennies (1 cent) don't count anymore????

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Twice today I came across this in stores, I think it is wrong.

1. At a convienance store and the woman in front of me purchased something for .99. She handed them a $1 bill and waited. The clerk said "is there anything else I can do for you?" Then realized the woman was waiting for her change and said "oh, you want your penny?" in a condesending tone.

2. I then walked across the parking lot and made a $29.99 purchase and noticed the clerk rang it up for $30 even though he already had my credit card in hand, so it wasn't about me having to deal with a penny in my pocket.

I honestly don't pay enough attention to know if stores are skimming a bit.....

Anyone else notice this is a trend?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canada changed this years ago. Not too familiar with it but see my point. Even my sons and people making minimum wage ($2 something an hour) think pennies are worthless. I think look after your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves is a good motto. For me nothing better then finding free money and I walked into $380k once.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Canada the rounding for pennies goes both ways though, and is only for cash transactions. So for debit/credit you'd pay exactly $29.99 in the example above, but $30.00 with cash.

But a bill of $29.96 or $29.97 paid with $30 in cash receives a nickel in change.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I went to the movies with my son last night and was told at the concession stand that if I wanted to use cash, that I would not receive any coin change back. I had switched out my wallet and didn't have my cc packet. It was $10.55 and I paid with a $20 and received $9 back. I felt better about the fact that we were sneaking in 2 cans of soda to drink with popcorn. It was a 45 cent "corkage" fee.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

1. At a convienance store and the woman in front of me purchased something for .99. She handed them a $1 bill and waited. The clerk said "is there anything else I can do for you?" Then realized the woman was waiting for her change and said "oh, you want your penny?" in a condesending tone.

Work it out so that the next bill is $20.01 and hand them a $20. When they [grouse] about it, ask them in a condescending tone, "You actually want a penny?"

Other countries have worked out rounding up and down so that nobody feels [cheated.] Here, it's going to be "heads we win, tails you lose."

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Back in the 1980's while stationed in Germany the PX did away with Pennies. Round up or down to the Nickel.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

2. I then walked across the parking lot and made a $29.99 purchase and noticed the clerk rang it up for $30 even though he already had my credit card in hand, so it wasn't about me having to deal with a penny in my pocket.

I honestly don't pay enough attention to know if stores are skimming a bit.....

Anyone else notice this is a trend?
Never experienced anything like this.

Much more common is the "penny tray" at checkout. Give one or two, take what is needed. Karma.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I saw a penny on the ground in a parking lot.
I thought, "Shall I pick up?" Decided, "Not."

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We pick up all coins we find on the Ground. We put them in a Ceramic Container on Patti's Chest of Drawers. At the end of the year we deposit them. It is normally about $100.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We pick up all coins we find on the Ground. We put them in a Ceramic Container on Patti's Chest of Drawers. At the end of the year we deposit them. It is normally about $100.
You must be finding a lot of coins. That is about $0.25 a day. Unless you also toss any loose change you might have in there too. I know I don't stumble across a quarter a day on average.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I saw a penny on the ground in a parking lot.
I thought, "Shall I pick up?" Decided, "Not."
I always pick pennies up. Then I sing “I’ve got a penny in my pocket, yes I do” to the tune of “If You’re Happy and You Know It”, then I put it in my penny jar.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
You must be finding a lot of coins. That is about $0.25 a day. Unless you also toss any loose change you might have in there too. I know I don't stumble across a quarter a day on average.

Must either walk a lot or walk somewhere where people are very careless with their change. I live in a place where we have commonly circulated $1 and $2 coins and find nowhere near that amount of change per year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I pick up any change I see on the ground. I may need that penny sometime. I put pennies in my shoe for luck, even though I no longer wear loafers with the slot in them. Remember those? Penny loafers?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There are people hoarding copper pennies who hope this happens. The value of the copper far exceeds $0.01. One reason the mint keeps minting zinc pennies is to keep them from having a massive payday.
I have three gallons of pennies. I just put them in a jar when I get them.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I always pick pennies up. Then I sing “I’ve got a penny in my pocket, yes I do” to the tune of “If You’re Happy and You Know It”, then I put it in my penny jar.

I also always pick up any money I find. Every time, even if people give me side-eye. "You need a penny that much? Really?"

The way I see it, the universe is offering me free money. If I decline, I'm telling the universe that I have all I need and to stop sending opportunities my way. Well, I can't do that because I have a farm to clear, farm houses to build, and another mile of private road to lay down. All of that costs.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I have three gallons of pennies. I just put them in a jar when I get them.

There are people with millions of pennies. Shipping containers full of them. They can't melt them down until the penny is no longer legal tender. The government is wise to this and has been for decades. (The switch to zinc was to stop the hoarding of copper pennies.)

My wife and I bring change to the supermarket and use it to pay for items. Run a buck in found change through, then put the rest on the credit card. We probably find $10 each per year.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I always pick up change, mostly a penny or nickel at a time. But once I found several hundred dollars of Japanese yen with no way to find the owner; it paid my mortgage that month.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the 1980's while stationed in Germany the PX did away with Pennies. Round up or down to the Nickel.
When I was deployed for OIF the FOB businesses wouldn't give coins as change. Instead we got "POGs" printed with the denominations on them. A lot of people would end up leaving theater with a whole bunch of them, but you couldn't spend them back stateside.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I pick up any change I see on the ground. I may need that penny sometime. I put pennies in my shoe for luck, even though I no longer wear loafers with the slot in them. Remember those? Penny loafers?
LOL, we used to put a nickel in ours, so we’d always be able to make a phone call!

(New Orleans area in the 60s)