• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Payroll Errors

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our payroll department made an error on my paycheck, they under paid me. I pointed out the error and they said they would add the amount they underpaid me to my next check. (I get one salary check and 10 days latter I get a supplemental check that pays me all my extra time and overtime) When my supplemental check came I was shorted again on some overtime that I had done. I pointed this out on the 10th they said they would send me another check in the amount they shorted me in 2 business days. That would have been the 14th. Yesterday morning, the 20th, I called and asked them where my check was they said they didn't know and that they would look into it. They day came and went and I heard nothing. Is there a labor law that defines how many days an employer has to correct a payroll error? I know there is one if they let you go but I can't find anything in regards to errors.:mad:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our payroll department made an error on my paycheck, they under paid me. I pointed out the error and they said they would add the amount they underpaid me to my next check. (I get one salary check and 10 days latter I get a supplemental check that pays me all my extra time and overtime) When my supplemental check came I was shorted again on some overtime that I had done. I pointed this out on the 10th they said they would send me another check in the amount they shorted me in 2 business days. That would have been the 14th. Yesterday morning, the 20th, I called and asked them where my check was they said they didn't know and that they would look into it. They day came and went and I heard nothing. Is there a labor law that defines how many days an employer has to correct a payroll error? I know there is one if they let you go but I can't find anything in regards to errors.:mad:

The quick answer is I don't know.

The longer thought is LA Unified School District went to a new payroll system a couple years ago and has had infinite problems under and overpaying people since it went in. They STILL don't have it straightened out and they've spent multi-millions of dollars for the system and corrections to date. Now they cite it's a very complicated situation with people working various forms of hours, clasifications and getting incremental adjustments for possessing certain certificates and degrees, in addition to the "normal" pay, taxes and benefits issues. Basically they paid alot for a system which didn't work.

From the outside knowing that has been going on, it doesn't appear there is any law that has forced them to get a resolution at least in any reasonable period. What ever happens, keep independent records so in the end you have backup as to what's owed, in addition to any official records you can copy as they are submitted.

I then return to my first answer, I don't really know.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The "labor laws" I've read offer very little protection for the worker. For instance, in KS there isn't a maximum number of hours your employer can require you to work, no requirement for a lunch break and they don't even have to allow you a restroom break.

You're more likely to find protection under your employment agreement or any implied/written conrtract you have with this employer. Personally, I'd be looking for work somewhere else if they can't manage to pay people on time.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Theresa, those guidelines are covered by state law. For an answer, call your state labor board. My guess is the time they are allowed to correct a paycheck is far longer than you thing it should be. If you wish the labor board to work on your behalf, it will take even longer.

Good Luck... Jim Ricks

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
My assumption is you have a union and a union rep who should know about this issue under your contract.

UW Surfer brings to mind the horror story of LAUSD's payroll problem....if it wasn't such a real life tragedy, it would be a great script for a comedy!:( :eek:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but in this situation it is probably the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. In other words, call every day. EVERY day. If you're union, have them call, too. A grievance probably serves no purpose because they are intending to pay you, its simply a matter of when. If you keep taking their word for it and letting them string you on, they will.

Your payroll department may not actually be the ones cutting the check. I know this was my situation when I worked for City & County of SF, and also for LA County. Payroll Department keeps track of your hours and processes the request for a check (or supplemental). They then send the proper forms to the Controller's Department (could have a name of Auditor or some such), who draws the check and sends it back to your payroll department for distribution.

If this is the case, and you are positive that payroll has done their deed (check with a supervisor, department head, etc), then the problem lies with the check writing people. If you stress that you aren't able to meet your bills due to the now two shortages, they can probably issue an emergency check within three days. If you say it is an emergency you will probably have to go somewhere to pick the check up.

That's how it worked for me. Several times over the years. Good luck!

Fern

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Finely heard back from payroll. It is a bit like Fern said. They do not cut the actual check from the District Office it is cut at the County Office. My District Office put in the request but the County Office had made the decision not to cut a check but to again put it on the next check. The District Office asked again for them to cut the check now so we can get all of the errors clean up and start fresh. Hopefully they will get it right next time. I do try to be understanding. Paying the school bus drivers is the most difficult department to pay. We have our regular salary pay and then on top of that we get a supplemental check. From there they have to pay close attention to each persons daily route hours because the extra hours we work also go toward how much we pay toward our benefits. It is complicated and a pain in payroll's side but it is to our favor.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Theresa,
I know exactly what you are saying. I guess I forgot to mention that I worked in Public Transit for over twenty-five years, many of them as an Operator. I faithfully kept a daybook with all my hours (and minutes!), as I am sure you do. Many people are not aware that transit operators and school bus operators are paid by the minute, not by the hour, and that sick pay, vacation pay, etc., is based on hours worked, not weeks worked. When I was a dispatcher (and thus a timekeeper) I used to have guys come to me on payday to complain that their vacation balance hadn't moved in a couple of paydays. My first two questions were, 1--are you near your anniversary date, and 2--have you worked a lot of overtime this year? If both were YES, then they had probably already earned all their vacation days for the year.

Good luck. Can you call the Controller's office? You need to stress that you need the money, not that you want it "cleaned up." Although that makes sense, it isn't going to move them.

Fern

geekette

Reaction score
... then there's the time all payroll direct deposits got reversed.

a hosted system HR had gone to messed up BIG that time. A human there thought something was in error and hit rollback on our pays and did not detect that REAL ERROR. This guy lost his job (of course!) and the company had to pay big to correct all the overdrafts caused.

We are no longer with them, of course, as they were worse than subpar from the start and this sealed it. Their initial response to this issue was, "Someone on your end must have done something wrong."

Our Payroll Lady is a friend of mine, and she usually gets tripped up and yelled at when it's HR that doesn't make a change to a benefit or something like that. Paperwork for a raise hasn't gone thru, stuff like that.

Glad your pay issue is on the way to resolution. No one likes it when their money is messed with.