• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paypal Offline on 4/19

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I just got an email the Paypal is doing a system upgrade on 4/19 and will be offline. I recommend that you pull all funds out of your Paypal Acct. ASAP, and that you let your renters know not to send payments on that day.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
More info.:

Planned Site Outage for April 19th

Apr-13-201204:56 PM

Hello everyone!

To ensure that PayPal continues to offer the best possible products and services to our customers, we are planning a technology migration of our data center on Thursday, April 19, 2012, starting at approximately 10 p.m. PT. We expect it to last 45- 60 minutes. During this time, there will be a system-wide interruption to the PayPal service and our website. This means that customers will not be able to log into or use their PayPal accounts. Rest assured that, during this time, all funds will be secured as usual by PayPal’s powerful security and fraud protection.

Please check the PayPal Announcement Board, @askPayPal on Twitter, the PayPal Facebook page and The PayPal Blog for confirmation that the outage has concluded. Once the migration is complete, consumers and merchants will be up and running again, business as usual. This technology migration will set us up for some of the planned future product innovations that users will start to see over the next several months.

PayPal continually makes improvements to our system and platform so we can continue to provide a great experience to our more than 100 million customers and launch innovative new products and services to create the future of money.

We wanted to let you know in advance so you can make plans to accommodate the downtime, and we appreciate your patience as we work to improve PayPal.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you take your funds out of paypal? I have only use it for payments.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How do you take your funds out of paypal? I have only use it for payments.

Click on the "withdraw" link and transfer them to your linked bank account.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I have 2 paypal accounts, with 2 different e-mail addresses, and I did not get an e-mail regarding this at either address. I logged in to Paypal, and there was no notice of this on the site either. - Jacki

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 2 paypal accounts, with 2 different e-mail addresses, and I did not get an e-mail regarding this at either address. I logged in to Paypal, and there was no notice of this on the site either. - Jacki

I didnt get an email either and I dont see any notice on the website

Denise, I think you are the target of a phishing expedition...but well see what happens tomorrow

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

JWR

Reaction score
Looks like it could be fake. Is this page linked to from the actual paypal.com site? I see they ask you to log in, which could be their way of getting your username and password. Being in IT, I know they have multiple layers of redundancy and backups of their data. I seriousyl doubt anyone is in danger of losing funds.

Seriously??? - You think I would post something like that here without verifying the source? :p

And you don't think I can detect a scam email? ;)

Here is a direct link - https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/News-Announcements/bd-p/US-News

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't get the message, either. It hasn't allowed to me check my PayPal Mastercard today, though. I've been trying to set up a payment and it won't let me.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seriously??? - You think I would post something like that here without verifying the source? :p

And you don't think I can detect a scam email? ;)

Here is a direct link - https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/News-Announcements/bd-p/US-News

Yes, Seriously...Since Ive been hanging out on TUG Ive come to be a paranoid as so many here are, and have come to believe everyone is out to scam me

But I did link to the paypal forum through the website and see that its true...It looks like the site will be down for an hour...whats the big deal...Pay pal wont be closed for an hour, just the website

I fail to see why thats cause for panic, and why you see the need to " ......pull all funds out of your Paypal Acct. ASAP, and that you let your renters know not to send payments on that day."

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pay pal wont be closed for an hour, just the website

What? How can the website be closed, and Paypal be open???

During this time, there will be a system-wide interruption to the PayPal service and our website. This means that customers will not be able to log into or use their PayPal accounts.

My experience has been that when something goes "wrong" with Paypal (usually operator error) renters panic and imagine they are being scammed and all kinds of things.

Also, if Paypal's system update doesn't go smoothly, I want my money in my bank - not sitting in Paypal.

I actually think they've already started behind the scenes, because Paypal has been glitchy all day, and I can't log in at all right now.

YMMV

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like it could be fake. Is this page linked to from the actual paypal.com site? I see they ask you to log in, which could be their way of getting your username and password. Being in IT, I know they have multiple layers of redundancy and backups of their data. I seriousyl doubt anyone is in danger of losing funds.

No, it's not a fake! - I went directly to Paypal at www.paypal.com - that's a direct link to the notice on Paypal.

Yes, of course you have to log in to access your Paypal Acct.

I didn't say anything about losing funds - I was talking about having access to funds - which in fact are inaccessible right now - 24 hours before it was supposed to go offline.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used my pay pal debit card last night and the transaction is reported accurately on the website this morning. and money moved from my bank to paypal to cover the shortfall. The system seems to be working

When my bank closes for business each afternoon I dont worry that they wont reopen in the morning. When the Bank of America website doesnt work I dont worry that someone is stealing my money, or that I wont have access to it later on

Also when I went to bed last night it was dark. You might think me naive but I honestly believed that the sun would rise again this morning ...and it did just as it has ever day of my 65+ years...I know thats no guarantee that the sun will rise again tomorrow, but I choose not to go through life concerned about it...Nor am I worried about PayPals website not working for an hour or so

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I got an email from my bank that they are changing hours and closing at 1PM on Saturday - I'd better hurry and pull my money out... :hysterical:

btw - I use PayPal and did not recieve an email - you made it sound like something awful was going to happen to funds kept on the site, sorry but...

I had a work-friend just call me because she got a bill for $1000 from Verizon for the iPhone that is paid by work (and is on the ATT network) - unfortunately she clicked on the link (oops). Never click on an email link - even if it seems legit. One large scam is an address book that is broken into - sending email messages out to your friends that comes from your address ('Hey, check out how I got a new iPad...')

My first reaction when I saw the OP was that someone hacked into Denise's TUG account :p

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Clarification: It is my policy to never leave money in my Paypal Acct. Did you know that if someone disputes a payment, Paypal will reverse it out of your Acct. without authorization?

Since I don't want that to happen, I don't want to get into a position where there is money in my Acct. - and I'm locked out of it.

Also - I don't want a renter to try to make a payment during the upgrade, and freak out because Paypal doesn't work.

Since I use Paypal several times a day, it's probably a bigger deal to me.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but better safe than sorry.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Clarification: It is my policy to never leave money in my Paypal Acct. Did you know that if someone disputes a payment, Paypal will reverse it out of your Acct. without authorization?

Since I don't want that to happen, I don't want to get into a position where there is money in my Acct. - and I'm locked out of it.

Also - I don't want a renter to try to make a payment during the upgrade, and freak out because Paypal doesn't work.

Since I use Paypal several times a day, it's probably a bigger deal to me.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but better safe than sorry.

I am aware... I do not leave $ on PayPal either, but not for that reason.
PayPal seems to be up and running - did you know that there our times when your bank account is also not assessible?

still... you made your 1st post sound as something nefereous was going on - "I recommend that you pull all funds out of your Paypal Acct. ASAP" - thus my joke... and laughing person (not trying to go jarta on you...)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - "we are planning a technology migration of our data center on Thursday, April 19, 2012, starting at approximately 10 p.m. PT."

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

You authorize paypal to do just that by agreeing to the terms when you sign up. I have pointed this out to you before.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You authorize paypal to do just that by agreeing to the terms when you sign up. I have pointed this out to you before.

Really? So you are saying that I don't have the legal right to transfer my money out of my Paypal Acct. to my bank? How very odd! :rolleyes:

I should mention that my accountant, financial planner, and business consultant all advised me not to leave money in my Paypal Acct.... I think I will listen to them...

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Even if you don't have money actively sitting in your PayPal account, they can still back charge you. With the amount of business you say you do with them, you must have guaranteed your PayPal account with a bank account number.

Fern

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even if you don't have money actively sitting in your PayPal account, they can still back charge you. With the amount of business you say you do with them, you must have guaranteed your PayPal account with a bank account number.

Fern

Actually, the bank account linked to Paypal has no money in it either - on the advice of my accountant - and no overdraft protection. I can and do give refunds willingly - but I'm not going to turn money over to a scammer. They will have to sue me - and win. ;)

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? So you are saying that I don't have the legal right to transfer my money out of my Paypal Acct. to my bank? How very odd! :rolleyes:

I should mention that my accountant, financial planner, and business consultant all advised me not to leave money in my Paypal Acct.... I think I will listen to them...

You do have the legal right to transfer money to your bank account. I do not see where I have ever said otherwise. But if someone disputes a paypal charge, paypal has a right to get that money back. They will send it to a collection agency if needed. I do not want you misleading others on here. The money that is cashed out of paypal is not yours until at least after the reservation has passed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They will send it to a collection agency if needed. I do not want you misleading others on here.

No problem - they can take me to a collection agency. I'm not handing money over to a scammer.

I have no idea about what you mean by "misleading others." You may not agree with me, and that's your prerogative, but I find it amusing that every time this topic comes up you lecture me on withdrawing money from my Paypal Acct., as if it violates Paypals rules. Now that's misleading...

*BTW - I'm happy to report that PP is up and running this morning.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no idea about what you mean by "misleading others." You may not agree with me, and that's your prerogative, but I find it amusing that every time this topic comes up you lecture me on withdrawing money from my Paypal Acct., as if it violates Paypals rules. Now that's misleading...

Misleading others into thinking that once they cash out their money paypal has no way of getting it back. In the end Paypal will start holding everyones money for a length of time. This will hurt the honest paypal sellers.

Paypal is not perfect. If you do not like their terms do not use them.