• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Passport expiry limitations?

CSB

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a story on the news last night about a couple who booked a vacation to Panama. When they tried to check in for their flight, they were refused and were unable to take their vacation. The reason? Their passports were about to expire in another four months and the airline turned them away because there is a rule that they can be refused if their passports expire within six months of a trip. They were not going to be away during the expiry of their passports.

I thought this was very strange and never heard of such a thing. The news station tried to help get the money back from the travel agency that booked them but to no avail.

Anyone ever heard of this?

aptiva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi CINDY
You could have just phoned & asked me. (LOL ) Yes this is true. They don't publicize the fact too much. So in essence the passport is really only valid for 41/2 years.
Luckily I found this out years ago ==Before we left= from the travel agent.
Many do their own travel arranging on internet now=So it is Buyer Beware

Marie

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
aptiva said:
So in essence the passport is really only valid for 41/2 years.
For how long is a passport valid?
10 years (if 16 or older at issuance)
5 years (if 15 or younger at issuance)
in the US, that is.

Last edited:

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
I ran into this problem on a trip to Ecuador. Called to re-confirm airline the night before and got the spiel on "must be valid for 6 months". Son's passport had 4 months left on it and we were only going for 10 days. Spent a sleepless night. Had the hapless ticket agent at the counter so befuddled with upgrade coupons etc that he didn't do all the math. We made it out with no repercussions on the far end (didn't expect to have any as we were going to visit the President's son's family).

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Cindy -

It's true and it's not true. A lot depends on what country you are visiting. From the U.S. State Department:
Some countries require that your U.S. passport be valid at least 6 months or longer beyond the dates of your trip. If your passport expires before the required validity, you will have to apply for a new one. Please check with the Embassy or nearest Consulate of the country that you plan to visit for their requirements.

aptiva

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Canadians passport is valid only for 5yrs. (minus the 6 months when you may need it most)
As of last October when we renewed cost was $87. each.
Bummer eh??

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In the UK we are always advised to ensure that our passport will be valid for 6 months after the proposed return travel date. Over here passports can be renewed early and the additional time, up to 12 months I think, will be included on the new passport. At least that way we don't lose 6 months off each passport.

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
just happened to me

On a recent trip to Australia/Tahiti my passport hit the 6 month mark 3 days before the end of the trip and there were no exceptions, even for 3 days. It became a problem because I was doing aother trip prior to this one and needed my passport but it all worked out in the end. Our local township (town of hempstead, long island ny) now processes passports,even takes your picture for free and it was back in about 3 weeks. Beats the post office for sure.

ellend

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read recently that you can also be refused travel if you don't have a certain number of empty pages in your passport. I can't see the reason for that - if there is room for a stamp surely that's enough.

But I would have thought that anyone with a passport that full would be well-travelled enough to know that bit of information.