• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pagosa Springs in December

Elizabeth O.

Reaction score
We're considering giving our daughter and her family a week at Pagosa Springs around Christmas time. We've been there before, but in the summer. Any advice about a winter trip? Their kiddos are 11, 12 and 4. They are not interested in skiing, but I think they would enjoy day trips, such as to Durango and the train ride. Also. we are VIP gold, so I could book Wyndham or World Mark. Is there enough of a difference between the two to make preferable over the other?

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
The WM units are just Wyndham weeks that WM owns so same as Wyndham.

We were there in January and it was super quiet.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they are not skiers, there is not a lot to do in the winter. Summer is a lot more fun at Pagosa Springs and surrounding areas.

We usually book a 3 Bedroom Deluxe unit or 4 Bedroom Presidential using Wyndham points to guarantee a unit in the Teal Landing section. They are generally regarded as the "nicest" units at WM Pagosa Springs.

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
The WM units are relegated to the "lesser" associations at Pagosa. If you're looking for those nicer units, I would book early through Wyndham and focus on the Teal Landing or Peregrine associations. The holiday week is about their busiest week of the year, so book very early.

patdouma

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there the last week of December two years ago and it snowed a LOT. We had sleds and just did the hills in the resort with the kids. There's a horse drawn carriage through the snow near the resort.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
We're considering giving our daughter and her family a week at Pagosa Springs around Christmas time. We've been there before, but in the summer. Any advice about a winter trip? Their kiddos are 11, 12 and 4. They are not interested in skiing, but I think they would enjoy day trips, such as to Durango and the train ride. Also. we are VIP gold, so I could book Wyndham or World Mark. Is there enough of a difference between the two to make preferable over the other?

Just wanted to mention, anyone who purchased directly from Wyndham can book WorldMark, regardless of VIP status. Retail bought points are the only ones that can be used for Club Pass reservations. Someone who bought 105,000 points can make a 105,000 point Club Pass reservation. I only mention it in case a salesperson told you that you had to be VIP to book WorldMark resorts. Resale points cannot be used to book WorldMark reservations.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't think the train, if you are talking the Silverton train, runs in December. Double check to make sure.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been to Wyndham Durango over Christmas. Sent my brother to Pagosa Springs because they wanted to go skiing. Snowstorm was forecasted so I got them a condo where we were. Glad we did because the highways closed for a couple days. If you can swing it, stay in Durango. Everything is within walking distance. Historic Downtown Durango goes all out over Christmas. The train does a Polar Express run for the kids. It doesn’t go to Silverton because the tracks aren’t cleared in the winter, and the train station is next to Wyndham.

troy12n

Reaction score
I don't think the train, if you are talking the Silverton train, runs in December. Double check to make sure.

It doesn't but that may be changing in the future. The D&S is buying some diesels and they are considering running in the winter, i doubt if that will start this year though

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
We usually book a 3 Bedroom Deluxe unit or 4 Bedroom Presidential using Wyndham points to guarantee a unit in the Teal Landing section. They are generally regarded as the "nicest" units at WM Pagosa Springs.
We are booking for December 2023 winter ski season. First time in Colorado Wyndhams. Online, Teal Landing and Peragrin show up as unique units with different (higher) point values than the other sections. So even though we booked the 2BR deluxe at Teal Landing we could be put in the lower point value Villiage or Masters?

I wonder if the 3BR teal guarantees the lake view or just a Teal. Also, if lake is frozen / snowed over I wonder if the view / mountain visibility is any better than Peragrine 2BR lockoff view of a golf fairway.

I also wonder if there is a best view to request up at Steamboat.

Bob

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are booking for December 2023 winter ski season. First time in Colorado Wyndhams. Online, Teal Landing and Peragrin show up as unique units with different (higher) point values than the other sections. So even though we booked the 2BR deluxe at Teal Landing we could be put in the lower point value Villiage or Masters?

I wonder if the 3BR teal guarantees the lake view or just a Teal. Also, if lake is frozen / snowed over I wonder if the view / mountain visibility is any better than Peragrine 2BR lockoff view of a golf fairway.

I also wonder if there is a best view to request up at Steamboat.

Bob
Insider tips, since you are a TUG Member (or for anyone reading on TUG):

You must have booked into Teal Landing using Club Wyndham points. 100% of my experience booking into Teal Landing using Club Wyndham points over more than 10 years, is that I get Teal Landing without having to call and confirm, because I specifically "paid extra" for Teal Landing. I believe there are two out of seven or eight Teal Landing buildings with "parking lot views." If you want a (snow covered) lake view, call about 4 days in advance and request, call on the day of arrival to confirm and ask for "do not move" designation. If that does not lock it up, nothing will.

imo - people are waaaaay to hung up about "lakeview" at Pagosa Springs. Yes, in winter the lake is frozen and snow covered, just like the fairways that Peregrine overlooks. Even in summer, the geese seem to prefer "lakeview" so there is a whole lot of goose poop to deal with around the lake at Teal Landing and Masters Place versus the golf fairways.

As for Steamboat, I always call to request a unit that faces "into the resort" to avoid the noise from US highway 40 in buildings 2, 3 and 4, and the busy street next to building 6. For a Club Wyndham points stay, either side of building 5 is quiet. Views from all units are nice, but higher floors are, course, somewhat "better." The check-in agent at Steamboat for my last stay was new and confused. She mistakenly assigned me a "highway side" unit in building 2 (B2 is all WorldMark), but this is the nice view I had from the balcony overlooking the highway

Attachments

• WM Balcony.jpg
    WM Balcony.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 8

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Insider tips, since you are a TUG Member (or for anyone reading on TUG):

You must have booked into Teal Landing using Club Wyndham points. 100% of my experience booking into Teal Landing using Club Wyndham points over more than 10 years, is that I get Teal Landing without having to call and confirm, because I specifically "paid extra" for Teal Landing. I believe there are two out of seven or eight Teal Landing buildings with "parking lot views." If you want a (snow covered) lake view, call about 4 days in advance and request, call on the day of arrival to confirm and ask for "do not move" designation. If that does not lock it up, nothing will.

imo - people are waaaaay to hung up about "lakeview" at Pagosa Springs. Yes, in winter the lake is frozen and snow covered, just like the fairways that Peregrine overlooks. Even in summer, the geese seem to prefer "lakeview" so there is a whole lot of goose poop to deal with around the lake at Teal Landing and Masters Place versus the golf fairways.

As for Steamboat, I always call to request a unit that faces "into the resort" to avoid the noise from US highway 40 in buildings 2, 3 and 4, and the busy street next to building 6. For a Club Wyndham points stay, either side of building 5 is quiet. Views from all units are nice, but higher floors are, course, somewhat "better." The check-in agent at Steamboat for my last stay was new and confused. She mistakenly assigned me a "highway side" unit in building 2 (B2 is all WorldMark), but this is the nice view I had from the balcony overlooking the highway
Thank you!

I forgot that you get in on Worldmark as well.
Our reservations are Wyndham points.

Bob