• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owning a timeshare is not for everyone, that's for sure

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have been talking back and forth with a gentleman who is interested in a timeshare I am selling, a float, weeks 20-38. He had his son go by the resort to look at it, and his son reported that it is a great place, and of course it is, it's got a fantastic pool and the units are very large and nice, but the son couldn't go into the units because the place is booked solid by owners, of course, because it's a popular beach destination.

The back and forth on this week has been interesting, to say the least. Every email is sent with an urgent symbol, yet when I answer his urgent emails, he takes hours to answer.

One week we own has week 27 on the deed. He said, "I want to use the week this year, and I want 7/6." Yeah, that is not going to happen. I booked my rental week for 7/13 a year out. I still have that one for rent. I rented two, one left, and it's my RCI Points home resort reservation, so I didn't have to pay an exchange fee, but I did pay for insurance, and because RCI has to get their money, I will have to pay a guest certificate fee. "I can rent 7/13 to you for my cost of $1,400." I know the next question will be something like, "I thought the week would be $1,196, the cost of MF's?"

I don't want to go into any long conversations about how my week is in RCI Points with someone who doesn't even understand that usage was for 2025, and that 2024 week is reserved for 7/13. I feel like I have explained the float season to the nth degree. I don't have time to teach someone about timeshare and how it works. I told him to book a full year out, if he buys the week. It's easy to book this particular resort, and as long as fees are current (we pay monthly), you can book even further out than a year.

This is exactly why people get disenchanted with timeshare. They think any week should be sitting there for the taking. If I could get him an RCI exchange for 7/6 last-minute for a bargain, I would do it, but that isn't likely to happen.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
I agree it's not for everyone. It takes work to make it work but it's so satisfying when it does!

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely not for everyone. Some people are not planners. Some people hate that it’s a different experience from a hotel.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You either have to be a planner or a flexible opportunist, or both. But you can't be a specific and demanding short term booker. That is NOT a thing in the TS world.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The name of Resort, the week of the TS, the TS Trading Power and the Location of the timeshare are very important in owning a timeshare,
Finally, you must use your Timeshare for a weekly vacation . IMHO
Use it or do not purchase a TS. IMHO

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Even after all these years my husband still doesn't quite get it. He thinks that if we give up our 3 bedroom at Maui Hill for a trade we should be able to get whatever we want, whenever we want, lol.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
For sure it's a special breed of personality. When I discuss timeshares with friends, relatives I tell them not to do it.
For me it's a hobby / game / treasure hunt!
Me too.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
No, it isn't for everyone. But I'm sure glad it's for me. (Typed as I sit here in my lovely 3 BR cabin at Rangeley Lake Resort!)

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it isn't for everyone. But I'm sure glad it's for me. (Typed as I sit here in my lovely 3 BR cabin at Rangeley Lake Resort!)
It takes knowledge and skill to navigate the timeshare jungle. One must possess a level of technical savvy to navigate and utilize the digital and online resources the various systems employ. Also you need to commit your family and spouse to planning. Not for the faint of heart.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
So far so good - most of my family is moderate planners, so they get why I sometimes am poking them a year out. They're also opportunists so we can often do the best of both worlds. I'm currently in HIVC Oak and Spruce that was something that popped up on RCI Extra Vacations for cheap. However, I also know plenty of people who don't plan at all, and it's not for them. Though I will say, I rarely used to go on trips pre timeshares. It was always such a big thing and seemed like so much money.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Disneyworld is becoming timeshare boot camp. The new questions we should ask people is can you navigate a weeks vacation at Disneyworld during a busy period with all of the planning that entails or not? If the answer is no, timeshares are not for you.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disneyworld is becoming timeshare boot camp. The new questions we should ask people is can you navigate a weeks vacation at Disneyworld during a busy period with all of the planning that entails or not? If the answer is no, timeshares are not for you.
It's a challenge for sure. The Genie+ is outrageously expensive for a family of four, but as my friend Josie says, "It's good for those who can afford to pay it, bad for those who cannot."

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
It's a challenge for sure. The Genie+ is outrageously expensive for a family of four, but as my friend Josie says, "It's good for those who can afford to pay it, bad for those who cannot."
When I go I see it as a business evaluation. With a normal ticket you ride maybe 4-6 rides. With the Genie pass you ride about double that. So for about 1/4 the normal ticket price you get to ride double the rides. Not sure how you turn that down when you are from out of town. I myself as a season pass holder of Disneyland don't get the genie+ here because I am with friends and we talk and catch up at the line different for other disneys since I make it out maybe once every few years.

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
You either have to be a planner or a flexible opportunist, or both. But you can't be a specific and demanding short term booker. That is NOT a thing in the TS world.
I think this is why I like Timeshares so far. I go during off season value withint 2-3 months. I know this will change once My kid is in school but for now I will enjoy the two month planning. I am also not obsessed with timeshares. I see it as my routine vacation to a tropical place to relax, and then one more adventurous vacation that I dont use timeshares for. unless I can pull off Thailan Bangkok + Phuket for a two week trip but havent really done the research of normal hotel prices there yet.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think this is why I like Timeshares so far. I go during off season value withint 2-3 months. I know this will change once My kid is in school but for now I will enjoy the two month planning. I am also not obsessed with timeshares. I see it as my routine vacation to a tropical place to relax, and then one more adventurous vacation that I dont use timeshares for. unless I can pull off Thailan Bangkok + Phuket for a two week trip but havent really done the research of normal hotel prices there yet.
The obsession just kind of blooms. I didn't used to be obsessed but now, I am super obsessed.

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
The obsession just kind of blooms. I didn't used to be obsessed but now, I am super obsessed.
It definitely controls my short vacations within US/Carribean/Central America but it just doesnt offer the international travel needs that I have. Althought with me WFH this past year i definitely did a few more staycations at resorts than I am used to. Vegas, SD, OC, AZ, so far. Havent done HI yet but it may work out if the opportunity is right since I would be off of work by 1pm but would have to wake up around 3-4a.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

GloBerry

Reaction score
le sigh. Thinking about getting a timeshare and trying to be realistic. Don't need a spring bring week. I like off seasons due to crowds, but how do people deal with getting the right week with their partner/families schedule more than 3-6 months in advance of the trip. Work usually approves my schedule within a 6 month mark not a 12 month mark; even then have to match it up with my partner's schedule.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
le sigh. Thinking about getting a timeshare and trying to be realistic. Don't need a spring bring week. I like off seasons due to crowds, but how do people deal with getting the right week with their partner/families schedule more than 3-6 months in advance of the trip. Work usually approves my schedule within a 6 month mark not a 12 month mark; even then have to match it up with my partner's schedule.
It depends on where you want to go. I think timeshare works for most people. Some people do not understand the concept of float vs. fixed.

GloBerry

Reaction score
Think mainly Hawaii and California as I'm West Coast based. Is there an option with timeshares to swap out the floating week you picked and then pick another or bank those points in case you didn't reserve the right date? Or is timeshare best for a dual WFH couple?

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Interesting, for me the earlier you know for work the better. I'm not really used to there being a "too soon". I suppose if you're ok with the heavily developed areas or off season, you can often book a little closer, especially if you're ok with "Orlando", "Vegas" etc, but not specific locations. That said, 6 months is probably hard to guarantee availability. If you could push them to 9 months I'd say you have a pretty good chance in most systems, as well as exchanges.

The other thing you could probably do is book at 9-10 months out, pay for change insurance and call it cost of doing business and try and lock in with work ASAP and change the week if you must.

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Within 6 months includin a 2-3 month period? if so time share exchanges become way more available for the leftovers in a 2 month period. Alot of us look for these that can adapt decently.