• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Overwintering geraniums

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Hi,

How have you overwintered geraniums? what method has worked best for you? I've tried the bare root in the dark method, and also indoor potted method, both with mixed results. I've also done the buy new plants from Costco in the spring method LOL, after some of my in the dark plants dried out.

thanks in advance!

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had you placed the ,in the dark roots, in saw dust or slightly moisted peat? I have cut back also in pots but both methods are so so. Best results was when I put them outside the bilko door (cellar door below grade) where it does not freeze. I gave up. Only do dalias now

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Had you placed the ,in the dark roots, in saw dust or slightly moisted peat? I have cut back also in pots but both methods are so so. Best results was when I put them outside the bilko door (cellar door below grade) where it does not freeze. I gave up. Only do dalias now

No, I put the bare root plants in paper bags, but without anything moist. I'll try that, thanks!
I should have moistened their roots 2-3X, but in the basement crawl space they were out of sight, out of mind.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I put the bare root plants in paper bags, but without anything moist. I'll try that, thanks!
I should have moistened their roots 2-3X, but in the basement crawl space they were out of sight, out of mind.
Go to home depot or Lowes and ask for thier sawdust
But be careful not to get any where they cut treated lumber.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
DW pots cuttings in potting soil with some rooting hormone. Put 'em in the trays the pots fit in and slip the whole mess into a dry-cleaning (clear) plastic bag. As long as they are kept even slightly moist, they'll root and be ready to go out in the spring. We've done the bare root in paper bag thing with less success.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have actually just brought them in the house-in pots with potting soil -and kept them in a sunny spot and they always do fine.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a customer who had one in his front window for years, but it got leggy and about 3 ft tall, and not very nice

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly large (10-12 inch) pot with three or four geranium plants. I been moving it outside in the summer and inside in the winter for 7 or more years now. We have a south facing sunroom where I keep it in the winter, it seems to like the bright light and heat. It went through one hailstorm several summers ago which beat it down to the ground in the pot. I figured it was a goner but in a few weeks it was sprouting new growth.

I cut it way back before each move. It looks very ragged after the pruning but it grows back with new bright leaves and blooms all summer and winter after it has recovered from the pruning.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've kept two large pots in my family room for several years. They don't get much sun, but they survive. They are leggy after the winter so I cut them back and stick the cuttings in soil. Since they aren't all that expensive, I think I may just go and get new ones next spring.