• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Over 65? get $900 from SS

CRAIGS

Reaction score
What is this all about, it looks like a scam. See it advertised everywhere on the web. Can someone explain just what is this about.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
This refers to not claiming SS at Full Retirement Age, but waiting until you're 70. For someone who gets the average SS payment, the difference in your award amount is about $900 per month.

Here's an example of an article with explanation.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
This refers to not claiming SS at Full Retirement Age, but waiting until you're 70. For someone who gets the average SS payment, the difference in your award amount is about $900 per month.

Here's an example of an article with explanation.
That is almost exactly my scenario of FRA vs. 70. I did the extrapolation, however . . . and I'd need to live to roughly age 86 for that delay to break-even in terms of total SS collected . . . and only long term benefits if I live to 86.5 years old. For me and my actuarial projection (given my other health issues), it doesn't really seems like a decent risk to delay past my FRA (66.5 or May 2024).

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My rationale for claiming early...
I'd take a smaller amount to use while I'm still ambulatory,
than wait on a larger sum for which the break-even point
may be after I'm already in "the home."

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My rationale for claiming early...
I'd take a smaller amount to use while I'm still ambulatory,
than wait on a larger sum for which the break-even point
may be after I'm already in "the home."
I agree. At the break-even point, most people aren’t globe hopping, and don’t need the money for fun. Their lifestyle has calmed down.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Agree also, took it at FRA while I can make good use of it.

There is another risk / uncertainty in waiting - the fund will need to cut benefits by 25% in 10 years at the rate it's going, and no politicians seem interested in changing course.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I also noted when on the SS Administration page, whether I collect at FRA (66.5) or wait until I'm 67 y/o, the payout is exactly the same . . . so no monetary benefit to waiting even the next 6 months.

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Midtown 45, Santa Barbara, Avenue Plaza
What is this all about, it looks like a scam. See it advertised everywhere on the web. Can someone explain just what is this about.
The govt is trying to get folks to delay drawing. The great baby boom generation has been retiring at the rate of 10,000 per day for the past 10 + years. There are not enough tax payers to replace us and maintain benefits as they currently exist. Not even with the boomlet that occurred during the 80s. If the govt doesn’t figure out something soon, the program may be insolvent by 2035. The best they can do right now is convince people to delay drawing until later. There’s already talk of raising the retirement age to 70.
If you’re in reasonably good health and have a history of longevity in your family AND like your job, it might be worth delaying drawing benefits. Because there’s no guarantees anymore, I preferred drawing as soon as I became eligible. More time to enjoy my timeshare and check things off my bucket list before I can’t anymore.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I'm at a quandary right now. I planned to retire at the year I turned 69, 2024, as I was working and maxing out my 401K.

That got thrown out the window. I've got severance which can take me to June/July and I have Unemployment Insurance which I can start claiming after that runs out as I have up to a year to claim my UI. We can apply for Medicare to avoid COBRA.

I really don't think I would be an attractive permanent new hire, but contracting might be a possibility.

If I can hold out to file for Social Security in January, my monthly increase would be substantial. With the recent market downturn, it is not a good time to liquidate investment capital to capture that monthly gain in Social Security. I need to see what our draw was going to be with the SS numbers from January numbers and start drawing at that rate and have to see if we need more. Then, I have to see how bad the bleeding will be if we hold out until January.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
If the govt doesn’t figure out something soon, the program may be insolvent by 2035. The best they can do right now is convince people to delay drawing until later.

2030-ish is more likely.

Medicare's trust fund is running dry 2028-ish. So we'll see what (if anything) the government is willing to do to save these programs. My guess is "nothing at all." By the time I can take money out of the system, I'll be happy if it amounts to beer money.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I am certain this has been discussed here before, and probably at least annually.

It really comes down to "do you need the money sooner than later?" and what your other income sources may be.

The government does not care when you take it. Statistically, they know exactly when we (on average) are going to, err, stop collecting. And it's about 82.5 years.

If you're married and the lower-earning spouse is likely or possible to outlive you, the better plan is to wait as long as possible, so that the spouse will get your larger award when you expire. The lower-award spouse should start at 62 if the income is needed. A couple living on two SS incomes is doable many places; a single person on one is harder.

Or maybe you don't need it at all, and just want to maximize your benefit for your heirs. In this case, take it early and invest it.

And there is no big "step" in your award amount at FRA or any other time -- your "delayed retirement credit" goes up incrementally every month you wait from 62 to 70, not 8% all at once annually. And the reduction for early retirement is also per-month.

The above does not apply if disability is part of the picture -- just standard retirement. And it's a little different for spousal awards.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
And there is no big "step" in your award amount at FRA or any other time -- your "delayed retirement credit" goes up incrementally every month you wait from 62 to 70, not 8% all at once annually. And the reduction for early retirement is also per-month.
That is not what I saw in my benefit calculator on the "my Social Security" site. There was a pronounced jump in benefits close to my birthday.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My DW delayed taking SS by a few years past. After submitting her application, a SS minion called to offer her a lump-sum which would effectively back-date her start-date. It would mean lower payments based on the earlier start-date.
She was tempted, but ultimately decided not tol take the bait.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
My DW delayed taking SS by a few years past. After submitting her application, a SS minion called to offer her a lump-sum which would effectively back-date her start-date. It would mean lower payments based on the earlier start-date.
She was tempted, but ultimately decided not tol take the bait.
I think this is standard. When someone doesn't start at 62 but wants to start before FRA, sometimes it is because Something Has Changed, like health, employment, death of spouse, natural disaster, etc. Most folks don't know they can get the last six months payments as a lump sum then, by effectively doing a retroactive application which would indeed reduce the monthly award.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The tax man is likely to take a bite of that lump sum, up to 85% of SS could be taxable if there is other income.