• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orlando TV Investigative report: Timeshare Exit Scams

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Had a nice long chat with Todd on this topic, and he has done numerous stories on Timeshare scams over the years.

I hope this latest story saves some owners from being ripped off by upfront fee exit companies!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe he need, to share this article with all the Florida elected officials across the state.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Multiple people in the story state that they were told that there was a buyer lined up for their timeshare. As many here know that is a common tactic of true scammers who cold call and then steal as much money as they can before disappearing. That isn’t a typical spiel by exit companies. While I consider exit companies to be a scam most toe the scammer line right to the edge. It may very well be that while exit companies are certainly bad, the people in the article may not have even been dealing with an exit company.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Im fairly sure the one part of the story claiming a 6500 "money back guarantee" involved an exit company.

fact is, these sorts of folks will say anything they think you want to hear to get you to fork over money.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Multiple people in the story state that they were told that there was a buyer lined up for their timeshare. As many here know that is a common tactic of true scammers who cold call and then steal as much money as they can before disappearing. That isn’t a typical spiel by exit companies. While I consider exit companies to be a scam most toe the scammer line right to the edge. It may very well be that while exit companies are certainly bad, the people in the article may not have even been dealing with an exit company.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused by the article. The upfront fee scammers tell their victims that they have buyers lined up ready to pay tens of thousands of dollars for their zero-resale value TSs whereas the exit companies simply promise to get owners' TSs canceled without any sale.

So were the victims in this article victims of upfront fee resale scammers or exit companies?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not sure there is much distinction between outfits who solicit owners for the sole purpose of helping them end their ownership, regardless of which lie they choose to tell.

all have a special place in hell, and all share the same truth that anyone who knows not to pay large upfront fees wont ever become a victim of any of them!

as was explained to me, the gist of the story was that with the pandemic limiting travel/vacations/bank accounts/etc, more folks were getting more desperate to otherwise end their ownerships...and thus resulting in more victims for the scammers.

chaparrusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village at bonaventure , sheraton vistana orlando ,
THERE ARE SOME LISTINGS WITH TIMESHARE OWNERS NAMES THAT ARE SOLD TO ANYONE INTERESTED . IF YOU WERE SMART ENOUGH TO BUY A TIMESHARE YOU WILL BUY ANYTHING , SO ,COMPANIES TARGET TIMESHARE OWNERS , EASY CATCH . THE SAD PART IF THAT MOST TIMESHARE OWNERS RATHER KEEP QUIET AND PRETEND THAT THEY SCORE A DEAL , THAT IS WHY THERE IS STILL PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SCAM .

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We actually went to a presentation for one of these exit schemes. Free dinner at RED LOBSTER! Kinda yuck, but anyway I told myself it was research. No disrespect intended, but these guys are pretty convincing to the uneducated timeshare consumer. None of the other people in the room really knew what they owned. One said they owned with Interval International. Another with Bluegreen, but no idea how many points they owned. You could tell they were watching and knew who their easy marks were when they finished their short presentation. They went straight to those people first. There was also a couple that seemed like a plant by the company. I will be doing a full roundup of my "research" during a livestream on my channel tomorrow (Sunday March 6, 2022).

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
THAT IS WHY THERE IS STILL PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SCAM .

That's true. There are, sadly, many TS owners who do not know about this scam. I've always contended that it would be nice if the resorts in their quarterly/biannual/yearly letters sent out to owners would include information about these scams (rather than how to save $10 on petting zoo admission) and how to protect oneself from these. I realize that some resorts do do this and that it's ultimately an owner's responsibility to beware, but a little warning from the resorts would go a long way to curtail these scams.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's true. There are, sadly, many TS owners who do not know about this scam. I've always contended that it would be nice if the resorts in their quarterly/biannual/yearly letters sent out to owners would include information about these scams (rather than how to save $10 on petting zoo admission) and how to protect oneself from these. I realize that some resorts do do this and that it's ultimately an owner's responsibility to beware, but a little warning from the resorts would go a long way to curtail these scams.

This is an excellent idea!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I actually offered to pay for mailings to owners to warn them against upfront fee resale scams at an ARDA meeting many years ago.

can imagine how excited they were to take me up on my offer.

mkimber

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Chelan, WA
As a new TS person myself these stories make me so mad. Really heartbreaking that first dishonest salespersons sell these products without any thought or care in the world for the consumer and then even more dishonest people come along to take another bite at the reeling consumers. I tell everyone I meet don't don't don't buy anything from resorts unless you want to put cash in the trashbin. There are so many alternatives. TS should only be attempted by super sophisticated consumers with a lot of time on their hands to research the pants out of things to get any economic value.

Last edited: