• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orlando Area question

GoHerd1028

Reaction score
I have posted this question before..but I want to hear again in case anything has changed....We own at the Sea World location in Orlando. I have been previoulsy told that we can NOT book through RCI into a DVC property because of being within a 50 mile radius...however, I was told by several members on here that there was an agreement with RCI that would enable us to do so. Which one is true.

The reason this question has even come about is because we received a call from DVC...I explained to the guy that we were HGVC owners and that is where the conversation started to go south. He asked if we had ever stayed at any of the DVC properties and I told him that I was inquired about it once to trasnfer and then decided not to for whatever reason. He then told me that it was NOT possible to do that because that would allows owners of "cheaper properties" like Hilton to buy there and transfer to Disney. My blodd pressure began to rise from his smug answer. I explained to him that I was told that there had been a recent agreement that would allow such a trade. He then said he was going to have that investigated and make sure it was not happening. So, what IS the right answer..can we or can't we transfer to DVC if we own one of the Orlando properties....Also, the guy lost any chance of a sale with me due to his attitude toward the property we already own.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Why are you even listening to a sales weasel? :confused:

Others have reported here that they have used HGVC points to trade into DVC. We as HGVC owners use the corporate RCI account, so it does not matter that the points come from Orlando or any other HGVC property. If you want a more definitive answer (since you are questioning answers that were previously posted on this forum regarding DVC trades), why don't you just call HGVC customer service and ask?

Of course the sales weasel is going to say that you can't trade into DVC -- they want to make a sale, and they want you to believe that the only way to stay at a DVC is to buy DVC.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
But what does that say about someone who has the temerity to question the combined wisdom and sage advice of TUG posters AND HGVC. Perhaps you might recall your own post and this reply on March 29, 2011:

GoHerd1028: I called back...and got a totally different asnwer. The person on the phone went and asked their supervisor and also contacted RCI and confirmed that YES we CAN book Disney with RCI, even though we own at Seaworld... So who do you believe?

Rick and Cindy:
If it were me asking, I would believe the people here over anyone at Hilton or RCI.

================
Like for no reason, we're suddenly going to say: "OMG, the DVC dude is right and we were wrong!"..... as if.

Last edited:

Asl18940

Reaction score
You can theoretically trade into DVC properties. Usually the one that's available is not at Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom or Beach Club. I forget the name, but it is on the Disney property, just pretty far from the Parks. I think the activities are better for the kids at the HGVC properties anyway.

GoHerd1028

Reaction score
You can theoretically trade into DVC properties. Usually the one that's available is not at Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom or Beach Club. I forget the name, but it is on the Disney property, just pretty far from the Parks. I think the activities are better for the kids at the HGVC properties anyway.

Back when I was searching it out...I believe it was Boardwalk and Saratoga Springs that were available...

Now, answer me this....once you book through RCI there is no way that they can trace back where you own is there??? I mean it is not like you could show up at the desk and be denied your reservation. right??

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
As folks have explained, the Orlando restrictions doesn't apply.

I'm a SeaWorld owner and I've used my HGVC points for a DVC exchange via RCI and had no problems when I checked in this past summer.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Nevermind. :deadhorse:

Last edited:

GoHerd1028

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers.....I was just concerned that something had changed recently is all. Didnt mean to beat a dead horse or question the answers or wisdom shared already...

Purseval

Reaction score

We're booked into Bay Lake Tower. That's pretty close to the park :rofl:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Thanks for the answers.....I was just concerned that something had changed recently is all. Didnt mean to beat a dead horse or question the answers or wisdom shared already...

Since you're so worried about this, forget about a DVC trade and stay at Bonnet Creek instead. :shrug:

That way you're as close as you can get to the Mouse House without the fear of being booted at the door in case you get discovered now that you've brought attention to yourself at DVC. :cool:

Leaves more DVC trades for the rest of us. :p

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Since you're so worried about this, forget about a DVC trade and stay at Bonnet Creek instead. ... Leaves more DVC trades for the rest of us.

We should not make light of travel anxiety.
Some folks won't leave home for fear about what awaits them on the road.
They worry about crashes, theft, cards not working, sinkholes and alien abduction.
Being turned away at the Inn is, in ther order of things, merely a minor concern.

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
We should not make light of travel anxiety.
Some folks won't leave home for fear about what awaits them on the road.
They worry about crashes, theft, cards not working, sinkholes and alien abduction.
Being turned away at the Inn is, in ther order of things, merely a minor concern.

Was I making light of the anxiety? :doh:

Honestly trading isn't for everyone.
Sometimes RCI screws up and then what? You're there and you hope they help you make the best of it.
I had an exchange go bad in the Berkshires and RCI didn't help me but offered to refund my exchange money. I ended up calling a resort that is in the family of resorts that I own at Vacation Village and speaking to the general manager Mark, who intervened with RCI and gave us a room on the exchange fiasco. That was stressful but we made the best of it. The berkshires doesn't have nearly as many nice timeshares as Orlando does but in the end we got lucky and moved to that resort instead and RCI made it right for us.
Sometimes stuff happens. :eek:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Was I making light of the anxiety?

Actually, that was me, but my sense of humor is so dry, its easy to miss.

I encountered "lost" resevations in Italy, on two occasions. The prospect
of trying to find alternate accomodations after a TAL crossing, in a foreign
language, was not much fun.

On those occasions the booking was miraculously "found" and the hotel
found room in a sister property, but now, I always have a confirmation
in my hand.

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why trade to DVC?

We are planning a 4 day pre cruise stay in Orlando. I was just going to book the HGVC resort. Should i book a dvc instead????

Will go to epcot 1 day, another park the next day, space center the third day and drive to Ft Lauderdale the 4th day.

Have never been there and have never booked an HGVC room other than my owner resort (Vegas).

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
DVC will give you the cachet of staying on campus and use of the transit system. However, others have said that HGVC units are more spacious. If this were a WDW-only trip, I'd prolly elect DVC, but HGVC is an even bet, and since you'll have a car, the freedom to come+go on your time schedule.