• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Original Nook Color Users

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I went to a Barnes and Noble store this evening and was
looking at the new Nook Color. The salesperson mentioned that sometime soon - the rumor is early December - B&N will roll out an updated operating system for the Original Nook Color that will give it the same
functions as the new Nook Color.

The salesperson said to keep in mind that the new Nook Color has a dual-core processor while the Original Nook Color has a single-core processor. So the new Nook Color is faster, and I think has more internal memory too but otherwise they will work the same.

Looking forward to the update.

Richard

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this - I have an original Nook Color and I would be thrilled to be able to get it upgraded. I'll stay tuned...

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Original Nook Color Users Update

I received an email from Barnes and Noble last week telling me that B&N is in the process of doing a phased-rollout of their new operating system 1.4.1.

They provided a link to their website to download 1.4.1 immediately if you didn't want to wait.

I decided to download the new operating system and have been happy with the results.

With the new OS you can now read your books in landscape or portrait mode. Couldn't do landscape before. You also now have a couple additional features when you touch and hold on a word while reading. You will now see icons for 'Highlight, Notes, Share, LookUp, and Find'. If you choose, LookUp, the default dictionary will pop up with the definition if the word is in the dictionary. If the Word is not in the dictionary - don't fret, there are two icons - Google and Wikipedia - toward the bottom of the notification box , choose the icon you want - and voila, now you'll have a new box with the info you were looking for. I'm reading a historical novel now with a lot of place names that the dictionary did not recognize. Wikipedia was spot on, and provided nice maps and Coat of Arms info. This feature alone has transformed my reading experience.

Also another neat new feature is if you tap at the bottom of the page - a new toolbar appears which tells you what chapter you're reading, the page you are on and (the biggie for me) how many more pages to go before the end of the chapter.

You get availability of some new Apps - Smithsonian Channel, My Media, Netflix and Flixster - among others.
So you'll now have access to TV and Movies streamed through Netflix.

You get a New Category of Books called 'Page Perfect'.
This gives you carefully packaged electronic versions that keep the original print version format. Think Art Books and Cookbooks.

However, for some folks, all is not bliss with 1.4.1.
You lose the ability to side-load (can't download non-Barnes and Noble Apps). This is not an issue for me. However, if it is a deal-breaker for you, do a Google search on Rooting 1.4.1.

The only minor problem I was with the new download. I had a library ePub book on my bookshelf. The book downloaded but I was not able to open it because I didn't get the book from Barnes and Noble. However, all was not lost. I opened up my Overdrive App and redownloaded the ePub book back unto the Nook. A message popped up telling my the book was already in the library - did I want to over-write the file. I said yes, download completed and I was back in business.

Both my wife and I are happy with 1.4.1

Richard

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report, Richard. I don't have a Nook color, but it was interesting to see how much B&N supports an older (in the warp speed time of modern electronics) product.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never understood the hype behind the color ebooks, the appeal for 'me' atleast for an ebook over just using a tablet or netbook was the 'e-ink', which is better on the eyes then LCD screens and the ability to use it in direct light with the typical LCD glare...With the new color ebooks i don't think they have either of those features anymore