• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Only a matter of time....

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Jya-Ning,

I think you've hooked me on Fairfield. I've now bid on two straight eBay Fairfield auctions, but didn't win either.

I just missed an 154,000 bi-ennual at Smoky Mountains, which went for $860.

I think I'll be a Fairfield junkie soon...

Thanks again for your help!

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
:D Don't buy too many that you can not used yourself more than say 33% of your vacation time. There are a lot other travel lodging alternative, and a lot of places where TS is not a choice.

You can always add more when you know what you can do with these after mix with external exchange.

Jya-Ning

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Good advice -- thanks again!

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Enjoy bidding!!! its addictive!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is addictive....

I've noticed that bi-ennial accounts don't always sell for less than annual accounts -- and are sometimes more. Has anyone noticed a pattern or rule of thumb?

I was very surprised to see a 154,000 bi-ennial sell for $860, but it has low MF's (Smoky Mountains). This is the one I missed on.

A 154,000 annual in Florida just closed for $810, and has decent MF's.

FYI, in case anyone owns Smoky Mountains, they are about to have a 8-10% MF increase because their reserve study came in showing they needed to build reserves. I spoke to the GM of the property about it and they are going to try to get back to the 3% annual increases in 2010, but 2009 will be a little higher than historical. Still pretty reasonable.

Please let me know your thoughts on the bi-ennial versus annual pricing. Thanks!

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I only watch weeks, not points. However, I have noticed that the eoy properties usually sell for less than 1/2 the price of an every year. But when you figure in the closing fees, they may be slightly more.

I bought an eoy in Villas of Sedona in 2007, first year of use in 2009. My total costs were $323. Quite a deal, I thought.

Sue

ajdon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be picky

As with any Ebay auctions, you need to be careful, but if you know anything about Ebay (and I do), you can scoop up some bargains!

I got an annual 154K for $959 (inc Closing costs) at Pats Place a few weeks ago.

On a NON-Fairfield, I picked up an EOY-odd and EOY-even week (prime weeks - essentially an annual week) at Gatlinburg Town Square for $300 (INCLUDING CLOSING COSTS).

Sit back and watch mid-day auctions they go for less than evening and Fri/Sat evening goes for less than Sunday or Monday evening.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I am thrilled to say that I just bought my first account!

eBay auction just ended, for 112,000 bi-ennial points at Smoky Mountains. Closing price was $247, with $500 in junk closing costs (dammit).

Fortunately for me, 112,000 points will be enough to get a studio at the place I really like, Elysian Beach Resort, so it's big enough as a starter account.

Thank you all (and particularly Jya-Ning) for all of your advice, and I look forward to continuing the discussion!

All the best,

Greg