• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

One Bedroom Club Wyndham Canterbury in San Francisco Ca Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
If you want to have a great vacation in San Francisco, I highly recommend the Club Wyndham Canterbury. The one bedroom has a mini kitchen with dishes, etc.. so you can request a electric skillet and cook in the room.

The resort is a short walk to Union Square for shopping and is close to downtown San Francisco. San Francisco is a fun city to walk (my opinion), so this is an ideal location for either a Worldmark or a Club Wyndham owner. I book using Wyndham Rewards, so the stay was free over the weekend.

One Bedroom Club Wyndham Canterbury in San Francisco Ca Review

Map of all my timeshare reviews

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Midtown 45, Santa Barbara, Avenue Plaza
Has the city been cleaned up enough to avoid stepping in stuff? Are there any stores left to shop in? Do you feel safe?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Has the city been cleaned up enough to avoid stepping in stuff? Are there any stores left to shop in? Do you feel safe?
Uhmm… some of the things you hear about large cities isn’t true. Of course, with any place that has hundreds of thousands or millions of people, some of those people are going to cause trouble. Fortunately, they tend to congregate in a few locations, meaning the vast majority of those cities is nice and safe. You just have to educate yourself about where you want to go. The front desk clerks can be extremely helpful, also.

troy12n

Reaction score
Uhmm… some of the things you hear about large cities isn’t true.

Last time I was there was in 2019, pre-pandemic, I send 3 nights at Donnatello and 3 nights at Canterbury in a 1BR Dlx. This was before Donnatello became officially available to Wyndham owners, but were offering stays there for owners who needed more nights than were available at Canterbury.

Anyway, I personally witnessed quite a few examples for human "stuff" on the sidewalk, witnessed a couple people urinating on the sidewalk. It was worse over by Donnatello, specifically on the road around the corner by the closest Walgreens by Donnatello. Saw people smoking crack out on the street. It was pretty bad. Probably the worst behaved junkies and homeless i've ever experienced in my life. Worse than New York City in the 70's...

It's a shame too because it's a nice city, but seems like even the "good" areas have rampant problems with people who have taken up residence there unofficially. I can't imagine it has improved much since 2019, probably much worse.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe @Clifbell will report back with an update and let us know if it is still a beautiful city.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe @Clifbell will report back with an update and let us know if it is still a beautiful city.
The city is struggling.... With the reliance on Tech workers and many working remotely, the city has taken a hit. I lived in San Francisco for 30 years so this was a chance for me to check back in. I was a little sad... But the place was really nice. I didn't notice any odd situations.... But I just noticed a drop in the energy in the city....

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did feel safe... But I am 6'6" male. The city is just not as busy as it was.

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So sad. That was the city of my birth. My mom was a native San Franciscan back in the day when it was a nice city. Dad is native Hawaiian, took us back to Honolulu when I was still a tot. Honolulu is home to me. As a young adult, I entertained the thought of moving to SF while my Grandma was still alive. She eventually moved to what was then a suburb, Walnut Creek. My parents have fond memories of their teen years there and are saddened by what it has become. The last time I visited 10 years ago, it still looked nice but was beginning to look like a shadow of itself. What’s left of Mom’s family moved out of or to other parts of California. Too bad about the entire State. It was once a beacon of hope for many.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We were just in SF. Felt perfectly safe. My daughter said it was cleaner that she'd seen it lately. Yes, there are problem spots, but you will find those everywhere, even in Tacoma I bet.

California is still wonderful. Yes, we moved out of state but only because it was getting so crowded. I guess many people still feel it's a beacon of hope.

Here is an interesting factoid I just found:

"With a crime rate of 81 per one thousand residents, Tacoma has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 12."

In fact when my daughter and I were doing college visits for her about 15 years ago we visited UPS in Tacoma. We were warned then to be careful in certain parts of the city. Has it improved?

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I did feel safe... But I am 6'6" male. The city is just not as busy as it was.
We were there over Mother's Day weekend. Union Square was hopping and all decorated up with flowers. We went to Japantown and it was packed. With Covid there are a lot of people who are still working remotely so the city streets aren't as busy as they once were during the weeks. But it certainly isn't dead. We had a great visit.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Last time I was there was in 2019, pre-pandemic, I send 3 nights at Donnatello and 3 nights at Canterbury in a 1BR Dlx. This was before Donnatello became officially available to Wyndham owners, but were offering stays there for owners who needed more nights than were available at Canterbury.

Anyway, I personally witnessed quite a few examples for human "stuff" on the sidewalk, witnessed a couple people urinating on the sidewalk. It was worse over by Donnatello, specifically on the road around the corner by the closest Walgreens by Donnatello. Saw people smoking crack out on the street. It was pretty bad. Probably the worst behaved junkies and homeless i've ever experienced in my life. Worse than New York City in the 70's...

It's a shame too because it's a nice city, but seems like even the "good" areas have rampant problems with people who have taken up residence there unofficially. I can't imagine it has improved much since 2019, probably much worse.
We stayed at the Donatello in March of this year. Didn't see any of what you mentioned.

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were just in SF. Felt perfectly safe. My daughter said it was cleaner that she'd seen it lately. Yes, there are problem spots, but you will find those everywhere, even in Tacoma I bet.

California is still wonderful. Yes, we moved out of state but only because it was getting so crowded. I guess many people still feel it's a beacon of hope.

Here is an interesting factoid I just found:

With a crime rate of 81 per one thousand residents, Tacoma has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 12.
Dont dare leave my car out of the garage at night. That’s why I’m looking to move back to Hawaii. Honolulu is turning into a nightmare as well but, at least I’ll get to “enjoy” it with the rest of my family.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dont dare leave my car out of the garage at night. That’s why I’m looking to move back to Hawaii. Honolulu is turning into a nightmare as well but, at least I’ll get to “enjoy” it with the rest of my family.
You really should change your television channel. The real world is not anywhere near the dystopian place that some want you to believe.

heitmullerj02

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, HGVC Carlsbad
My son lives there, told me not to visit anymore, homeless issue out of control. And yes, we get along, he was just here for 2 weeks.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My son lives there, told me not to visit anymore, homeless issue out of control. And yes, we get along, he was just here for 2 weeks.
As I said we have visited twice this year. Yes there are homeless. This is not just a San Francisco problem, it's a national problem. We certainly didn't feel it was "out of control" in SF though.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shouldn’t the issue be that there ARE homeless people, not WHERE there are homeless people?

troy12n

Reaction score
As I said we have visited twice this year. Yes there are homeless. This is not just a San Francisco problem, it's a national problem. We certainly didn't feel it was "out of control" in SF though.

I don't know how you can say that with a straight face...

Yes, there are homeless people everywhere. But I travel a lot and by far the worst I have ever seen it is two places: San Francisco and Seattle.

San Francisco's homeless may not be violent everywhere, but the rampant open drug use (not just marijuana), the open urination and defecation on the street is downright embarrassing and disgusting. If you didn't see it, you must have stayed in some of the more sanitary parts of the city.

Not sure how these people can be helped at this point, I have no idea how to solve the homeless population, but maybe exporting them to somewhere they can get help and jobs... which sure as hell isn't "the most expensive city to live in America". These specific homeless not only make poor life choices, but can't be put in a situation where they can be fixed, while IN San Francisco. It just doesn't work like that.

We stayed at the Donatello in March of this year. Didn't see any of what you mentioned.

Next time, open your eyes and watch your step... the Walgreens on Geary, just around the corner from Donatello. Poo row... that's kind of a border street with what's known as the "tenderloin"... the skid row of San Francisco, going back decades.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Next time, open your eyes and watch your step... the Walgreens on Geary, just around the corner from Donatello. Poo row... that's kind of a border street with what's known as the "tenderloin"... the skid row of San Francisco, going back decades.
How insulting. I do have my eyes open. As does my husband. We lived in the SF Bay area for years and visit at least once a year. We know the city, areas to avoid at certain times. Your opinion won't deter us from visiting.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The usual culprits whip out the dog whistles every time San Francisco comes up. The world has moved on - you should too.

Status
Not open for further replies.