• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Old Town Alexandria Policy

GeorgeInNePa

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW, that's ridiculous.

I think I'd need to talk with a manager about that one, especially if the name on your ID is the same name as the registration for the room.

If you walk out without your wallet, what is your recourse to get back in to get your stuff? Do they expect you to just sit outside until the next morning?

I just bought a rental for WYNDHAM Old Town, on Ebay. Thanks for the reminder to never forget my keycard.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Other Wyndham resorts have gone to the security guard after 11PM to sit in the lobby. The one resort has a list of inbounds with their room keys with a formal checkin the next morning where the security guard verifies ID and gives them the room key.

belfry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry Double Post

Last edited:

belfry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am at Old Town Alexandria this weekend. Checked-In a little before 10:00 p.m. Am on the 1st Floor. A little before 12:00 midnight, I went outside for a cigerete and forgot to bring my room key. I found out the hard way they lock the front doors between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.

The Front Desk is manned. I knocked on the front door and the front desk person advised that since I did not have my key I could not come in.

Fortunantly, both my wife and I both have cell phones so I called her and she came out to let me in. When she tried to use her card to get in the front door it did not work. The front desk person did come over and let us back in because she did have a swipe card.

I did have ID. He could have confirmed I had a reservation there but that was not one of the authorized options.

I am staying at Old Town Alexandria this weekend also. We arrived Friday night at about 6pm. In addition to telling me about getting into the front door after 11pm with my roomkey, the check in lady informed me that I would also need the roomkey after 11pm if I reentered from the parking garage.
Belfry

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
We stayed in four Wyndham resorts during almost three weeks in late December and early January. We found the Wyndham keycards very susceptible to being zapped in what would seem like normal usage, such as putting it in a wallet.

So, I quit putting the card in my wallet. That solved the zapped keycard problem but about half the time, I walked out with the card on a dresser, in another pair of pants, etc. We'd have spent a lot of cold nights in Old Town's garage!

Thanks for the heads up. At Old Town, I'll put the card back in the wallet.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I'm constantly demagnetizing these cards with my cell phone by accident.
Quite annoying that they can't come up with something that won't demagnetize with a simple cell phone. :annoyed:

Technology. :crash:

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm constantly demagnetizing these cards with my cell phone by accident.
Quite annoying that they can't come up with something that won't demagnetize with a simple cell phone. :annoyed:

Technology. :crash:

I tended to demagnetize the cards with my magnetic sunglass clip ons. Do not ask how many times I have done that to my WDW AP's.

Finally invested in a pair of prescrip sunglasses so it's less of a problem now. But I have to be careful with the front pocket on my Ebags city purse. Too close to the magnet that closes the front. :doh:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am at Old Town Alexandria this weekend. Checked-In a little before 10:00 p.m. Am on the 1st Floor. A little before 12:00 midnight, I went outside for a cigerete and forgot to bring my room key. I found out the hard way they lock the front doors between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.

The Front Desk is manned. I knocked on the front door and the front desk person advised that since I did not have my key I could not come in.

Fortunantly, both my wife and I both have cell phones so I called her and she came out to let me in. When she tried to use her card to get in the front door it did not work. The front desk person did come over and let us back in because she did have a swipe card.

I did have ID. He could have confirmed I had a reservation there but that was not one of the authorized options.

I wonder what happens at a late check in...

There is a simple solution to this problem and that would be to give up smoking and go to bed at a decent hour...either that or smoke in bed

I appreciate the security. When I was at Ocean Walk recently they have no security...anyone can walk in and walk the halls. I was uncomfortable there....However from your story Id say Alexandria goes too far.....

I hesitate to say this but the thought did pop into my head as I read your post...... didnt you have similar problems at National Harbor. As I recall some of the staff wanted to throw you out...again...I may be way off base here but the common factor might be you...:shrug: just saying

In any case, I always make it a point to meet the desk clerks on all the shifts when Im traveling. I never know when I might need a favor...a kind word at check in and a hello and wave..every time I walk by the desk, goes a long way

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
these are 2 if the three locations that were demanding I turn over my Mrytle Beach and Smokey Mountain timeshares to Wyndham (deeded properties) and buy for a massive price Club Wyndham Access.

They were "demanding" you give them something you own?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is this occurring at the front desk during checkin, or when? Who is demanding it?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mostly in owners updates, sales staff or sales managers. The harassment a the various locations is usally the resort staff.

Then why meet with them for the fake "updates" or sales pitches just to be harassed? Are you thinking of purchasing more from Wyndham directly? That's the only reason I can think to sit through one of those; to me, it's not woth the time or aggravation for whatever compensation they're giving out.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do not go to owner updates for the compensation, only occassionally do they actually give me anything. I am very much interested in what is being said by the Sales Staff, as for future purchases, no one knows what tomorrow may bring.

Fair enough. I guess for me, there isn't much info that theyre gpoing to give me that would be worth feeling harrased. I value my relaxation on vacations quite a bit.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
The front desk scolded me for having my wife let me into the room and not finding another place to stay last night. Their position was I did not follow the rules by finding another place last night. They re-affirmed the rule that if a guest has checked in and goes out after 11:00 they cannot have access to get back in until 6:00 a.m. without the card. The trick with having me have my wife come out and briing me in was not appriciated.

They really thought you should go to the Hilton next door and get a room?

This can't be! For one, what difference does it make when you go out? If you go out to dinner, have a couple of drinks afterward, watch a movie, whatever, and return to the facility at 11:30 PM, you can't get in if you don't have your keycard?

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole thing about your wife breaking the rules by letting you in is absurd. The rules sound more like what I remember from my European youth hostel days than branded timeshare resorts. Jeez, people.