• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ok...admit it...Who purchased from the developer?

CaboColl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another direct from developer purchase here - and before TUG.

While on vacation a few years ago in Cabo, we also went on a timeshare tour at Hacienda Encantada. We never intended to purchase a TS :) - Boy, were we wrong.

We bought pre-construction, (2) connecting studios that share a balcony, 3rd floor - ocean front for a fixed week #8 (for the next 39 years).

I am also married to a work-aholic....we take quite a few 3-4 day trips, but for him to take a full week was always difficult. Now we know that every February we will take a vacation for usually 10 days in our favorite location... Cabo San Lucas .

Our decision to "over-pay" was very simple.... Between the two of us, we have 7 adult children. A few of them would never be able to take such deluxe vacations unless we provided the accommodations. I am OK with that!

This way, we know that for 7 glorious days, we are all guaranteed Ocean Front - with a beautiful view and deluxe accommodations.

We chose (2) studios, so my husband and I can still enjoy our own privacy :) - and our guests (kids) can enjoy themselves in their own studio. But, we can always meet on the balcony. We bought (2) studios because, if some day if we decide to trade our week, we will deposit one studio and still have our other studio to spend week #8 in Cabo.

No regrets for buying direct from the developer. Life is too short, and now we can enjoy and share memories with our family and friends.

Last edited:

Mimi

TUG Review Crew
Reaction score
We bought our first timeshare on my 50th birthday trip to Maui when Shell was selling weeks at Kona Coast II on Front Street in Lahaina in 1995. We purchased a 1br for @ $13,500 summer season, and we were given a free flight to The Big Island to tour the resort the following day as a purchase reward. The Shell employee that accompanied us (and 2 other couples) sat with us on the plane and encouraged us to apply for a charge card to build up frequent flyer miles. That was great advice, because we rarely pay for airfare to Hawaii from the east coast. Since 1995, we have purchased 16 more timeshares resale and sold 4 of them, now owning 13, which we use every year as retirees--6 in Hawaii, 4 in Cocoa Beach and 3 in Las Vegas. Life is good! We would NEVER consider buying from the developer after locating valuable information via Timesharing-Today and TUG. :whoopie:

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I bought my first timeshare from Hilton before I heard of TUG. I had purchased the explorer (or whatever it's called) package the year before after a presentation; the vacations I had off that included two weeks in Hawaii. I went to the presentation again (requirement of the package) prepared to not buy since there had been a foul-up on the first reservation I had earlier that year. However, I was having such a great time in Hawaii, the incentives were good, and when I ran the numbers it made sense for me to buy. I bought an EOY preconstruction in Orlando.

I do regret not knowing about the resale market then since I could have bought more points for less. However, I've gone to Hawaii every year and gotten my money's worth out of that purchase. If I sold it today for next to nothing, I'd still be ahead financially compared to what I would have paid for the vacations I've taken on those points. I've since bought more Hilton points resale.

Regardless of the cost, that first timeshare forced me to take regular vacations and provided the means to stay in nice places for less than the cost of a hotel room.

Last edited:

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
bought my 3 marriotts(2 preconstruction) from developer,THEN i found TUG and started looking into resales. purchased 2 more non-marriott weeks resale, sold 1 of the marriott weeks and actively search the resale sites for something i might want to pick up. i only have buyers remorse on 1 of my marriott purchases because i could have picked up the week SO MUCH CHEAPER, but i do like the points that i get from that purchase.
now i'm RESALE all the way

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought our first SIX timeshare weeks from the developers. The places were (but NOT at the same resort) Lake Tahoe; Hawaii; Hawaii; Lake Tahoe; Hawaii; and Hawaii. This started in 1983, and ended in 1988. Of course, this was before I knew about resales (if there were any at that time); before TUG; AND, before Al Gore invented the internet !!!

After that, nothing until 1998---a "WHOLE BUNCH"---have over 20 weeks of timeshare right now.

Tony

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two for us

Before we found out about Tug we bought a studio at the Donatello in San Francisco and then bought a 2-bedroom at Orange Lake.
Yes, we paid way too much but we have been very happy with our trades and have seen lots of the world that we would not have attempted to see.
If I knew then what I know now I would have done the resale thing but I don't regret what we did and either do the kids. We went on about 15 vacations before buying the next 2 resale.
Bart

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two for us, too

Yep, both from the developer - Welk and Marriott Newport Coast. After haggling for a couple of hours the Welk week was not much more than resale and I want the ability to trade for points with Marriott, so no regrets.
Both before TUG. No resales yet, although as we get closer to retirement and have more vacation time I would like to add when the opportunity is right. Lately it seems like last minute getaways are less expensive than owning, but we'll see as time goes on!

Danette :)

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First two resale, third from developer

We bought our first timeshare, Christie Lodge, after doing a 5 day preview package at the Marriott Maui in 2000 or 2001. I figured we should try something inexpensive to start with after reading all the "bad" things about timeshares . After a few years, which included a stay at CL and a couple of great trades we realized that we missed Marriott. We then bought our second timeshare, Marriott Waiohai, off eBay for a very reasonable price.

Finally, after reading and studying more about MR Points we decided that we wanted a developer unit. We considered Ocean Pointe gold but decided on Legends Edge after they began a closeout phase and upped the annual MR points.

Terry

Last edited:

kathyj0205

TUG Member
Reaction score
FIrst 3 for us, we're slow learners

We bought our 1st from FF at the Grand Desert in 2003 - one of those come to Vegas for $69 things. We bought over 300K points, and received a 10day trip to Hawaii, airfare and car rental. While there, we bought an EEY at Royal Seacliff, and got a week in St. Thomas and 1 airline ticket. We went back to Vegas the following year and bought another EOY there, which included another week in Hawaii. Then I discovered TUG. So this year I bought 2 weeks at Hacienda del Mar in Cabo for about 3K total.

Do I regret buying our timeshares? Not at all. We have taken fabulous vacations that we would not have taken otherwise. My DH is a workaholic, and his idea of relaxing is taking his laptop on trips, and only answering emails and crisis in the morning. To him, a great resort has a comfortable bed, a great shower, and free WiFi in the room.

Do I wish I hadn't paid retail prices? Sure, but that is water under the bridge. It's over and done, and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm VIP gold with WW, and I use the perks to my advantage as often as I can. I have sent my son and DIL on several trips, my DD and future SIL on some, my inlaws, my friends, my hairdresser, my nail tech, my mother, my yoga lady, and donated for several years to our Catholic school charity auction. Yes, it was a lot of money, but I won't cry over it - I'll just enjoy!!

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought first timeshare from Westgate Vacation Villas 2 bedroom w/loft for $6K

Have bought all other timeshares resale.

Am I sorry I bought from Westgate? Contrary to popular belief NO.

We use Westgate for the most part and I love the last week of October. I can fit lots of people in that unit. When I havent used it and traded I received excellent trades. (They have changed thier exchanging policy in the last year so not sure how that will work but thats another story).

I could have bought resale alot cheaper but over the years it has paid for itself. I think that is true for most timeshares. If an owner will learn how to use it and put that knowledge to work they will come out ahead of the game.

I found that game plans change over the years. Two of the timeshares that I bought resale (for under $100) I wouldnt do again.

No one rule holds true for everyone and something that worked well for years will change

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a 3 br lock off EOY for $9,600.00 from Westgate Lakes :wall: I sold it back to CFI for $2,000.00 or $ $2,700.00 (can't remember if the MF came out).

Resale:

2 2br units at Wapato point.

1 1br unit at Wolf Run Manor at Treasure Lake ($1.00 + closing)

1 3 br unit at Sandyport III :cheer:

Looking for a couple more.

wa.mama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought all but two from the developer (Marriott)

Why?

1) wanted the points option for later, and they are all good point generators.
2) purchased fixed weeks - kids are still in school and I did not want to waste time trying to trade into prime vacation weeks.
3) our extended family buys "in bulk" and often receives discounted weeks (for example, bought a two-bedroom president's week at Timberlodge, got 2 one-bedrooms president's week at 50% off). We have an excellent sales rep who has been working with us from day 1 and is good at scrounging up these deals.

I'm the first to admit, however, that resale has it's deals. Our Kona Coast resales were purchased at amazing prices. Now if we only had enough time to use them all......

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought 2 Developer Blue weeks, one in '84 and one in '86

I still own the first purchase a blue week on the Outer Banks Week #12. We were newly married and had very little money; however, I had grown up taking vacations (camping) with my grandparents and Mom. When I married my husband (who never vacationed growing up), we rented a cottage on the Outer Banks for our first vacation. He liked the idea. We hooked up a 3-night getaway to the OBX in exchange for attending a timeshare presentation. We were put up in a really cool 3-level condo in Duck. We had never stayed in such a grand place in all our lives. We were blown away. We bought pre-construction. It is a blue week. The salesman suggested that since we could only afford a blue week, that we might as well buy a blue week that was right next to a white week. We have used that week several times and thoroughly enjoyed our stays. I have always deposited this week 2 years out when trading and have always (except once, but I didn't know any better about the area) gotten what I consider to be great trades. The other purchase was a South Carolina coastal February week. Again, we got really great trades with this week utilizin 2-years-in-advance deposits. However, we experienced poor management all along the way. We held onto the week, however, until 2003. Upon joining TUG and and realizing that we had options, we Quit Claimed the deed back to the resort (thankfully they accepted it). We definitely got way more out of those weeks than we spent, so there were no regrets (except the poor management of the one that required ongoing attention). Since joining TUG, I have bought several resale. I have sold just about all those that have been purchased since they were mostly one bedrooms bought as Tiger-traders. Since then, I've decided to tweak things and forego timeshares that are only used as traders. My ownership includes those timeshares that are in the three areas I like to go on a regular basis and that are within driving distance (Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina). However, they are also great traders should we decide to go somewhere else. I have been able to raise my sons to know what vacations are all about and that there is a great big world out there to explore. I'm glad we took that initial plunge. Even before finding TUG, we always got the most we could out of our timeshares. Since finding TUG, it has only gotten better!:D

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We bought retail at Divi St Maarten (RTU) more than 10 years ago. We were vacationing on the island at a different resort, and fell in love with the place. It was the year after their big hurricane, and they weren't geared up for sales. So we worked with one of their people who normally did resales to current owners. Rather than trying to sell us the moon, she recommended we buy a studio within the better trading season, and then swap internally for the spring break week we needed, which changed each year, and pay their fee to upgrade to a 1 or 2 bedroom.

Before purchasing, we were renting apartment-style units to travel with our kids and spending considerably more. In fact, compared to the $$ we were paying for a less-nice place, the cost to buy retail seemed reasonable. So despite paying $6,000, it's turned out to be an OK deal for us, and even with paying upgrade fees it's been much cheaper than purchasing a larger spring break week. We've gone to SXM most years, or swapped within the Divi system to Aruba. We've made some wonderful family memories at Divi, and always enjoy going back. Would it have been nice to spend less? Sure, but we have no real regrets about the purchase and feel we've gotten more value for the money than from other purchases we've made.

hkg3k

Reaction score
My wife and I bought our 1st timeshare from the developer.....albeit a resale week on Hilton Head Island. We paid right at $10k for a 2 bedrm, labor day week in a development in Shipyard Plantation......this being about 15 years ago.

Maintenance fees have always been "reasonable" compared to a lot properties I've seen and this unit has always traded very well.

My wife and I agree it has been a pretty good purchase.........could've been a great purchase if all the info available now was available then. We've never stayed in our unit or that particular property, but we have used it to trade for some really nice stays at other properties on HHI and throughout the US.

We just bought our 2nd TS this summer.......an RCI points (92,500) unit in VV@P which is deeded as a 2 bdrm lockout week 28. We're looking forward to using this for mostly trading and purchased it mainly because we've been taking 2 "nice" vacations per year for the last few years and the single week just wasn't enough to fill our needs.

I'm grateful for this website as this if where I did most all my research before we bought our 2nd TS.

places2go2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought from developer twice, no regrets

We bought at the San Luis Bay Inn twice from the developer and we are part of The Club at a Platinum Elite level (only bought deeds not the trust) and we have never regretted these purchases. This system makes for great vacations if you go to the places where your deeds are, including flexible use of partial weeks/weekends/instead of full weeks plus we can choose room size. We are using the system to bring guests to St. Maarten this fall for our destination wedding. We have many other weeks that we bought on the resale market and though we use some and trade some, we are very pleased overall with our developer purchases.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought Developer;
Maui (2)
Aruba
Myrtle Beach

Received a boat load of Marriott points, approx 2 million. Bought at preconstruction pricing. Subtracting the points value combined with the low pre-build price turned out to be a better deal than resale.

I couldn't do what I did, today, prices have gone way up since I bought, and Marriott does not give nearly the points they did in the past, but I'm am so grateful I did buy back then. It is the single best thing I've done for my family. The quality time we've experienced has been priceless. It opened up a whole new whole world of fun and excitement for my family.

Since the market changed several years ago, I've been buying resale. Doubt I'll ever buy developer again.

Bought resale;
(3) Grand Ocean Hilton Head gold weeks
(3) Newport Coast Plat weeks

Regards.
Joe
WWW.CAMBRAFAMILY.COM

Fitzriley

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Wyndham
We bought from the developer pre-construction Hyatt Sunset Harbor in 1995 and have never regretted. We leave Saturday for our week, our unit, the 13th trip down. We have brought our kids, gone alone, and even got married there in 1996. I thank God every year that we bought it and will never ever let it go.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, its nice to know that there are still people out there who don't regret purchasing to their TS from the developer. We talk so much about buy RESALE it makes you wonder if anyone on TUG purchased new.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Resale All The Way.

Shux, we feel extravagant for having $5,500 or so tied up in our 4 resale timeshares.

Even so, at a timeshare sales pitch 1 time, the timeshare seller kept adding so many more free Celebrity cruises to the deal that for a while there I was afraid The Chief Of Staff was getting ready to whip out her checkbook.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Jollyhols

Reaction score
Yes, me a few years ago whilst staying in the horrible Best Western on I-Drive, bought Westgate Lakes to get cheap Disney tix. Well, the intention was just to attend the presentation to get the tix, but you know how it is.

Didn't know anything much about timeshares then - IF ONLY we'd seen Disney or Marriott before Westgate I would be so much happier now.

Still, won't moan further about Westgate as its already been done to death on this forum, including my own moans!

Nobylspoon

Reaction score
I purchased 6000 WM credits from the developer before I knew about resell credits. I dont really have any regrets though (If I bought more then 6000 I might) but I probably would have never gotten around to buying if I didnt do it then and the way I look at it, its the developer credits that help pay for our new resorts.

However I do plan on buying another 6000 next year resell :D