• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OGG on Saturday

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So now it's Budget with the best rate that has gone down from $1800 to now $1004. Budget to me is the best Maui rental car company in my experience. Its crazy how much the pricing fluctuates even on a daily basis. I check it multiple times a day and that has paid off. just saved another $30 today after reducing by $100 the other day.
Today another another $100 down with Budget! Now at $925 for 16 days in a full size. Can't imagine it goes much lower but I'll keep watching until I depart in 30 days.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Today another another $100 down with Budget! Now at $925 for 16 days in a full size. Can't imagine it goes much lower but I'll keep watching until I depart in 30 days.

Did you register with Autoslash?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you register with Autoslash?

I do but the thing with Autoslash is it seems to deal with the lower end company, like Thrifty and the others. I have used AS in the past but for the most part Costco is still the best car rental site in my experience.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I do but the thing with Autoslash is it seems to deal with the lower end company, like Thrifty and the others. I have used AS in the past but for the most part Costco is still the best car rental site in my experience.
We booked with Avis through AutoSlash.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Autoslash checks Costco rates as well. I’ve rented from several companies with AS including Sixt just two weeks ago.

Ultimately, I’ve had similar cars from all the companies. A Nissan Altima is a Nissan Altima.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We booked with Avis through AutoSlash.

Yes, exactly. I’ve also had Alamo, Sixt, Thrifty, and IIRC Enterprise once.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Autoslash checks Costco rates as well. I’ve rented from several companies with AS including Sixt just two weeks ago.

Ultimately, I’ve had similar cars from all the companies. A Nissan Altima is a Nissan Altima.

No AutoSlash does not check Costco rates. I verified this with AutoSlash. They work directly with the car rental companies

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
No AutoSlash does not check Costco rates. I verified this with AutoSlash. They work directly with the car rental companies

Serves me right for being in a rush. I meant, they check reservations made from Costco and the rate you reserved it at… but, they seem to check Costco since they request if we are members (same with Sam’s club). If not, then it’s deceptive.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Serves me right for being in a rush. I meant, they check reservations made from Costco and the rate you reserved it at… but, they seem to check Costco since they request if we are members (same with Sam’s club). If not, then it’s deceptive.

When I have used Autoslash they do ask if I have a Costco membership (among other). That is so they can offer the same perks, like extra driver free. Again, this was verified by Autoslash. But they don't ask where I made my original reservation just what company, the confirmation number and the price.

What are you saying is deceptive?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When I have used Autoslash they do ask if I have a Costco membership (among other). That is so they can offer the same perks, like extra driver free. Again, this was verified by Autoslash. But they don't ask where I made my original reservation just what company, the confirmation number and the price.

What are you saying is deceptive?

If they ask for membership, it was assumed they checked prices... but then, I've only received offers from them for car rental companies or agencies (such as priceline). I really don't care as long as it's a better price.

I didn't know they honored Costco's 2nd driver free policy when booking with other agencies or companies. Do they have this stated anywhere on their website? If not, how we any of us know unless we specifically asked? Thanks for the info.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If they ask for membership, it was assumed they checked prices... but then, I've only received offers from them for car rental companies or agencies (such as priceline). I really don't care as long as it's a better price.

I didn't know they honored Costco's 2nd driver free policy when booking with other agencies or companies. Do they have this stated anywhere on their website? If not, how we any of us know unless we specifically asked? Thanks for the info.
I did find out by asking. That is why I have indicated certain things have been verified by Autoslash. Oh one rental it didn't look like I was getting the second driver free. So I asked why. I was told if I had a Costco membership I would, I just needed to check that box.

I went to their website to see if there was an explanation about why they ask you to check off which credit cards you have and what memberships you have. It just says it will help finding discounts. Nothing about the benefits that will carry over.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I did find out by asking. That is why I have indicated certain things have been verified by Autoslash. Oh one rental it didn't look like I was getting the second driver free. So I asked why. I was told if I had a Costco membership I would, I just needed to check that box.

I went to their website to see if there was an explanation about why they ask you to check off which credit cards you have and what memberships you have. It just says it will help finding discounts. Nothing about the benefits that will carry over.

I would have thought they would have checked Costco's rates as well... but if they can't earn a commission from Costco then it makes sense they don't.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I would have thought they would have checked Costco's rates as well... but if they can't earn a commission from Costco then it makes sense they don't.
I think (and this is just me quessing) is that Costco doesn't really have rates, they are using the car rental companies rates that they find at that moment.

I have found AutoSlash very pleasant to deal with. I recently got a better rate but when I went to confirm it the rate was higher. Avis couldn't tell me why. When I checked with AutoSlash they were able to figure it out. I made the change needed and the price dropped. What the difference was is that Avis charges $25 if you want to get airline miles with your rental. I opted out. You would think the Avis rep would have known that.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
This information re: second driver is on the AS website:

Some states allow the primary driver’s spouse to be an automatic authorized additional driver without a fee. When a spouse is legally authorized as an additional driver by state law, it is not necessary to explicitly list them on the rental contract. In fact, by doing so, the rental company may pressure you to pay an additional driver fee when it is unnecessary to do so.

The primary driver’s spouse is automatically a legal extra driver in these states:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Some states allow the primary driver’s spouse to be an automatic authorized additional driver without a fee. When a spouse is legally authorized as an additional driver by state law, it is not necessary to explicitly list them on the rental contract. In fact, by doing so, the rental company may pressure you to pay an additional driver fee when it is unnecessary to do so.

The primary driver’s spouse is automatically a legal extra driver in these states:

I often run into an issue where a rental agency doesn't want to add the spouse's name to the contract. We have rented in California before with Costco rates and when we tell them we have a second driver, they ask if it is a spouse and when we say yes, they say they are covered. Yet I don't see them on that list. I always worry what would happen if the second driver was driving and in an accident, would CDW cover it since they weren't named on the contract. CA isn't on the list you provided.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

I think California is on that list as well.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Today another $105 down! Now it's at $820 for a full size car for 16 days through Budget. Also I've been monitoring the electric car costs and it was $4700 for the longest time and then down to $1895 for weeks. Today electric is listed at $1187. If it were a S model AND they had a supercharger on the island I'd consider electric but not a Model 3 and from what i read no supercharger so that would be a big mistake.

So the question is how long can it go?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Today another $105 down! Now it's at $820 for a full size car for 16 days through Budget. Also I've been monitoring the electric car costs and it was $4700 for the longest time and then down to $1895 for weeks. Today electric is listed at $1187. If it were a S model AND they had a supercharger on the island I'd consider electric but not a Model 3 and from what i read no supercharger so that would be a big mistake.

For comparison, I paid $353 after taxes for a full size for one week on Kauai a couple weeks ago from Sixt.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
For comparison, I paid $353 after taxes for a full size for one week on Kauai a couple weeks ago from Sixt.

What did you get with Sixt?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We have a Kia Sportage, $668 all in for two weeks with Avis (through Autoslash). This is on Maui right now.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We have a Kia Sportage, $668 all in for two weeks with Avis (through Autoslash). This is on Maui right now.

Well, that certainly shows that the earlier quoted rate from Budget is high.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I finalized my car rental for our 16 day Maui trip next week, taking a pre-pay deal, direct with Budget, with an Amazon discount that will ultimately make my total cost $725. That doesn't include a 3% cash back rebate from using my citi card. I think that's a good landing spot, considering I thought perhaps I'd have to pay north of $1400+, where the price was stuck at for the longest time.