• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oceanfront at oceanwatch (MOW)

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying at MOW next April ocean front and havent been there in years (not since phase 2 garden views completed).So we were wondering if anyone had a site map with info as to which units are now considered ocean front? Thanks for any help!
Vicki

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the week, rent it or exchange in? I'll assume you didn't get this week on an exchange because OceanWatch puts all exchangers (with only a handfull of exceptions) in the back two buildings.

If you rented the week, just be careful that you actually have an ocean front unit. I've found a lot of renters on Redweek list their week as ocen front, when in fact it is ocean side.

Assuming you have a true ocean front unit I have gathered from theses boards that more likely than not you will be in that large building behind the pools (Starfish) where all the rooms are ocean front. You could have one of the two side buildings (Conch or Scallop) but I guess Ocean Watch has a policy where they rotate ocean front owners into those two buildings. So whether this is your week or a rented week, it really doesn't matter in terms of getting one of those two side buildings, if you get into one of those buildings it will be because it was that owner's "turn" to be there. Otherwise, your odd's are probably close to 80% that you will be in the Starfish building.

Just be careful if you rented that you really do have an ocean front unit. Have fun.

mlfrancis

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
OceanWatch puts all exchangers (with only a handfull of exceptions) in the back two buildings.

Not true - we exchanged an ASC lockoff for a week at OceanWatch this past May and got an oceanfront unit, even though we own oceanview (top floors of the back two buildings) - can't believe we were one of the exceptions. And we weren't even the ones staying there, we gave it as a graduation present to our housesitter - it was reserved in her name.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, what I posted is very true. It's true of all the Carolina properties, not just OceanWatch. Your friend was an exception. Tug is littered with posts about people (exchangers) complaining about getting the worst view at OceanWatch and GrandOcean and SurfWatch, etc...

I think the view you get on your confirmation sheet should be a guarantee, but it just isn't. I think the original poster rented his week or owns the week, though.

Not true - we exchanged an ASC lockoff for a week at OceanWatch this past May and got an oceanfront unit, even though we own oceanview (top floors of the back two buildings) - can't believe we were one of the exceptions. And we weren't even the ones staying there, we gave it as a graduation present to our housesitter - it was reserved in her name.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
mlfrancis. I'm curious as I just bought an ocean view unit at this resort, what has your recent villa placement been when using your own deeded week. Do you alway get ocean view or have you been upgraded over the past year or so. What floor and up is "ocean view"? I've heard mixed things, floors 7 and up, 10 and up? Thanks.

griffinhouse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Oceanwatch in June of 2010 on an exchange through II. Prior to leaving I entered the reservation number into Marriott.com and saw that both our units were oceanfront. (It was listed under unit detail.) I was skeptical but much to our surprise we received 2 units on the 6th floor in the Starfish building. It was wonderful vacation and the units were perfect.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
We owner a Gold season - Garden View there and are going to OceanWatch next week on an exchange. Our reservation number shows an Ocean Front view. I called and requested an Ocean Front view. (The lady on the phone laughted.) We will see what I get next week. We are looking forward to our trip. When we stayed at Ocean Pointe a few years ago the Ocean Front view matched what was on the reservation. I am hoping for the same results at OceanWatch.

There is a note on the website that they are starting construction on a new quiet pool in front of the Maple building from Oct. 15, 2011 to Mar. something, 2012. The other two pools will remain open during construction. Let's hope it is warm enough to get our feet wet. I am hoping for a heat wave.

mlfrancis

TUG Member
Reaction score
mlfrancis. I'm curious as I just bought an ocean view unit at this resort, what has your recent villa placement been when using your own deeded week. Do you alway get ocean view or have you been upgraded over the past year or so. What floor and up is "ocean view"? I've heard mixed things, floors 7 and up, 10 and up? Thanks.

The exchange certificate for that week specified oceanfront; I didn't believe they'd be put in that unit but they were - better than we've ever had.

We've always gotten a top floor in either Pine or Maple - once it was the very top and that floor is noisy (the HVAC is above it) and the deck has no roof, so it bakes in the sun - we always request "high floor but not the top". I think the lowest we've ever gotten is 10 or 11. Pine and Maple are a bit different in terms of which floors are garden and which are OV; I know I've seen the differences posted somewhere on this site, I'll see if I can find it for you.

Never been upgraded to the other buildings, other than the first year when woodsy was still under construction, when we had a side view of the private club.

My understanding has always been that the view an exchanger receives is whatever the deposited week is - and that seems to have played out for us.

mlfrancis

TUG Member
Reaction score
found it

there's a layout on the Resort page of TUG (under images). It's a bit hard to read but what I can see is:

Pine: 1-5 gardenview

Maple: 1-10 gardenview

Last edited:

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. This explains why I have heard different things. Maple must have more garden units because the Marriott hotel gets in the way of the lower floors? Great info, thanks.

...It would only make sense that whatever view your certificate shows is the view you get. I've heard really good things about OceanPointe in terms of that policy. I have just read countless posts from people complaining about their view at OceanWatch, and then the Hilton Head resorts are the next most complained about. This post appears to attracting a lot of people who have had good experiences with villa location. Nice to know.

...now, if we could only get summer trades into OceanWatch, that would be the best and the last thing I would complain about is a view.

there's a layout on the Resort page of TUG (under images). It's a bit hard to read but what I can see is:

Pine: 1-5 gardenview

Maple: 1-10 gardenview

mlfrancis

TUG Member
Reaction score
From an owner's standpoint, I've always gotten great villa assignments in Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. I've only had one bad trade back into SurfWatch, where we own ... it was on a free Marriott week (don't ask!) ... we were put into OceanMarsh, which would have been fine, except that two rooms (I think #1 and #2, we were in #2) are on the back side of the building- looking at the trees, very dark; the other rooms overlook the pool area often with a peek at the ocean.

I was able to get an August week at OceanWatch last year ... just did it online as soon as the system was available. So it is possible.

I think the people who are complaining about villa assignments in SC are exchangers, and there is a pecking order for assignments...non-Marriott owners are at the bottom. It's a fair way to do it, in my opinion.

(Hope you're not a Browns fan, I'm from Pgh)

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
...now, if we could only get summer trades into OceanWatch, that would be the best and the last thing I would complain about is a view.

I totally agree. I got an exchange there this past August. Our II confirmation happened to designate oceanfront but we got gardenview. We were thrilled to just be there, as we exchanged a non-Marriott week. The garden villa we were in was fabulous. Everything and everyone were top notch, so much so that we are looking to buy a unit resale as my family loved it that much. It is a great place, and I didn't mind my placement. Being able to walk to the beach---priceless!!

Anita

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our oceanfront reservation ...

was made using DC points (yes, we succumbed and bought some as filler)...

We'd certainly BETTER get oceanfront since we spent more points to get it:)

Seriously though, we've had pretty good luck with the DC program thus far; loved our stay at Marco Island (oceanfront also, on floor just below the penthouse) using DC Bonus points this past August...

And thanks (someone) for the tip re the Resort database; we checked and saw the map that answered my question regarding which rooms were oceanfront. Eastertime 2006 (or was it 2007) we stayed there in Scallop in what looked to us like an oceanfront villa, but we were then told it was oceanside (front, corner). It will be interesting to see the resort now 5 or 6 years later during the same time of year...

FYI, we stayed back then on a trade of our Cypress Harbour sport week, which we are still getting great trades with (3 bedrrom at Marbella April 2011 and Newport Coast Villas August 2012)...

We're excited about all our 2012 vaction plans - looking forward to what will come in 2013!
Vicki