• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Obtaining points with Abound

MattP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm really new at this game and am trying to figure it out. A few months ago we moved from our deed at Sheraton Vistana Villages to the Abound program. Not sure if it was the right move, however it's done. We went again recently and were sold an additional big amount of VOI points for the Abound program, apparently at a discount because the other sale hasn't been completely registered yet so they were able to offer this to us. I suspect that this is all complete BS, but I was ok with doing it because this way I could research it and then cancel it within 10 days. I wasn't completely comfortable with our need for additional points, the outlay of money, whether Abound is worth it, and whether it's cheaper to get points that can be used in the Abound program in a cheaper way (such as buying a deed and then somehow transferring it into the Abound program). Because I'm really unsure about all of this, I have rescinded the offer via email and will follow up with a posted letter today.

So my questions are the following:
1) In the timeshare (ok, Vacation Club) world, is it worthwhile to be a part of the Abound program?
2) If I wanted to add points to the Abound program, how do I go about doing this? Would all Marriott properties be eligible, just the ones that no longer have a deed, or can you even transfer points within the Abound program (I think I read on a different post that there was some confusion about this)
3) Let's say I purchased a deeded property at Vistana Villages, can I somehow transfer this into the Abound program (I think they call it a Land Transfer - forgive me for not knowing the exact terminology) without the upsell and and the associated stupid costs? Is there a cheap way to do this?

Thanks for any help you can give, and thanks for the existence of TUG. I'm sure that it has saved me a world of pain. And thanks, Brian, for your help.

Matthew

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm really new at this game and am trying to figure it out. A few months ago we moved from our deed at Sheraton Vistana Villages to the Abound program. Not sure if it was the right move, however it's done. We went again recently and were sold an additional big amount of VOI points for the Abound program, apparently at a discount because the other sale hasn't been completely registered yet so they were able to offer this to us. I suspect that this is all complete BS, but I was ok with doing it because this way I could research it and then cancel it within 10 days. I wasn't completely comfortable with our need for additional points, the outlay of money, whether Abound is worth it, and whether it's cheaper to get points that can be used in the Abound program in a cheaper way (such as buying a deed and then somehow transferring it into the Abound program). Because I'm really unsure about all of this, I have rescinded the offer via email and will follow up with a posted letter today.

So my questions are the following:
1) In the timeshare (ok, Vacation Club) world, is it worthwhile to be a part of the Abound program?
2) If I wanted to add points to the Abound program, how do I go about doing this? Would all Marriott properties be eligible, just the ones that no longer have a deed, or can you even transfer points within the Abound program (I think I read on a different post that there was some confusion about this)
3) Let's say I purchased a deeded property at Vistana Villages, can I somehow transfer this into the Abound program (I think they call it a Land Transfer - forgive me for not knowing the exact terminology) without the upsell and and the associated stupid costs? Is there a cheap way to do this?

Thanks for any help you can give, and thanks for the existence of TUG. I'm sure that it has saved me a world of pain. And thanks, Brian, for your help.

Matthew
1) Like all timeshare programs, Abound can be worthwhile, you just have to figure out how to work it. If you don't, it won't be.
2) You can purchase Abound points resale for a lot less than the cost of buying direct from MVC. Keep in mind that MVC will charge an additional $3 per point (minimum $3,000) to make those points fully functional, but it will still be cheaper than buying direct. If you buy an MVC week resale, it will not be eligible for Abound unless you make an additional points purchase directly from MVC, and that option is apparently only available certain times of the year.
3) At this point, anything in Vistana that you purchase resale is not able to get into Abound for free. That ship sailed as of August 9, 2022. As with MVC weeks, you will need to make an additional direct purchase to make it eligible. However, Vistana apparently still does this year round and it's cheaper than through MVC, though the minimum to qualify a single ownership interest is (last I heard) $10,000, and $5,000 for additional interests qualified at the same time.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Hi Matthew, could you be more specific in what you bought both times? It will help everyone to give you answers.

Also was your week at SVV part of the VSN meaning you get star options for it?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If you are within recession period for the last purchase of vacation points - and don’t rescind - I feel that our time here is wasted. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk