• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Notification of canceled week

andy

Reaction score
How far in advance does RCI notify people when they can't use the resort? I have a number of confirmations for south Florida. I am wondering about Sea Gardens and Palm Aire, I already know Santa Barbara will be closed.
Thanks, Andy

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sorry to butt in but I would contact the resort directly and ask.

perigo449

TUG Member
Reaction score
Current information fron Fairfield Web site:

The Fairways at Palm-Aire: Most of the resort is open at this time; however, Royal Palm, which sustained the resort's most severe damage, will remain closed for through late 2006.

Santa Barbara: We anticipate that this resort will be closed for the rest of 2005 and through 2006 due to storm damage.

Sea Gardens: We anticipate that this resort will be closed for the rest of 2005 and that some of the resort may reopen in early 2006. At this time we are assessing when the entire resort will be able to reopen.

andy

Reaction score
It is like a merry-go-round, I call the resort and they tell me to call RCI. I call RCI and they tell me I have to call the resort. My first week is only 6 weeks away and I am getting anxious to go. Andy

Jan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the week of Xmas at Sea Gardens. Two weeks ago my week that I exchanged with appeared back in my RCI acct and when I looked at exchanges my week at Sea Garden was gone. No phone call...no nothin.
Jan

andy

Reaction score
Jan,
The same thing happened to me, I just noticed today that my weeks that I had confirmations for are gone and the weeks I used to exchange are back in my account.
It would be nice if RCI could notify the people and let them know what is going on. I called RCI and they told me the weeks were space banked by Fairfield, I called FF and they knew nothing about them. - Andy

technoteacher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancelled week notice from RCI

I just received notice from RCI that my week at Palm Aire is cancelled. We had the week of Christmas reserved. We have a family reunion scheduled with people coming from 4 parts of the country. I called Palm Aire tonight (RCI was closed when I opened the letter) and they said Fairfield did NOT cancel the reservations, RCI did. I asked, but wouldn't you have notified them of the closed building thus cancelling our reservation and he said no, again, RCI cancelled and I need to talk to them. I will call them tomorrow.

I've lost my fee to exchange although my week is back to exchange against. There is nothing available anywhere in the state of Florida for that week, so I guess we don't go to the reunion. What frustrates me most is that surely RCI and Palm Aire knew before November 30 that our unit would not be available. That is the date on the letter - only four weeks prior to our reservation.

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of us in this boat!

Laura :mad:

andy

Reaction score
I received 2 letters yesterday that stated that both Santa Barbara and Palm Aire were damaged extensively by hurricane Wilma and my reservations were cancelled.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In my capacity as a TUG BBS administrator...

Please do not add discussion comments to this thread. This forum is only for questions posed to RCI. Each time someone adds a comment, that addition delays the response from RCI. Why? Because RCI's representative to TUG, Madge, responds to the oldest threads first, based on the date of the last addition to the thread.

Those wishing to discuss topics raised on this forum should do so on the Exchanging forum.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Andy,

RCI cancels exchanges only when it is certain that the resorts will be unable to accommodate our inbound guests. This is not as black and white as it may sound. Often, resorts can accommodate our guests even with many units down for maintenance. However, hurricane-affected resorts are in the unenviable position of having to rely on contractors in areas where demand is very high for such services, and work schedules can fall behind.

We are in constant contact with our resorts to determine if more vacations will need to be canceled. As soon as it is clear that this must happen, we contact our members. If there are too many to contact by telephone, we send letters.

It is absolutely not our practice to cancel vacations without notifying the affected members. I'm very sorry to hear of all the frustration.