• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NOTICE: Countrywide Mortgage? Beware!

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just appeared on my Front Page that you had better check your credit reports if you have a Countrywide Mortgage. There has been an arrest of a Countrywide employee the FBI says sold Social Security numbers and other sensitive information on as many as two million customers!!!!!!!!

This was a ConsumerReports.org report dated September 12, 2008 Under their Money category.

Flo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister was a victim of this criminal-she just found out about it on Friday. I didn't realize it was such a widespread problem with this one person. Very scary!

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well damn! I just got a letter from Countrywide today. Guess we were one of the lucky ones as well. :mad:

I just got done placing fraud alerts on DH and my accounts.

dgdbloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got our letter as well- just one more thing to take care of

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the solution for this issue to put fraud alert on your credit reports? If so, I think I'm already covered as we had a mail stealing incident (which turned out to be too much mail in the post box so it was waiting for us at the PO) reported and fraud alerted about 6 months ago. Thanks for the heads up though. Anything about it on countrywide.com?

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
The facts on Fraud Alerts & Security Freezes. Both are placed in your credit files to stop people from opening accounts in your name without your permission.

A 90 day fraud alert is free and only takes a couple minutes to place at one of the credit bureau's (Equifax, Experian or Transunion). Just go to any of the 3 web sites and fill out the form. That credit bureau will notify the other two. This only is in effect for 90 days. If you have a valid police report, law enforcement agency report or U.S. postal report you can extend the period of time by submitting the above reports, plus something validating your ID & address in writing.

A Security Freeze is permanent (unless you undo it) and normally costs about $10 to file one and $10 to undo it. Each state has set cost for doing this, so check your state. You must file this security freeze with each of the credit bureau's, so it could cost you $30 to file with all 3 and another $30 to do your spouse. Transunion is presently allowing anyone to put a security freeze on their credit for free (don't know how long that will be in effect).

I place the free 90 day fraud alert every 91 days. After doing one I use a Yahoo calander reminder to remind me of the next time it's due. Works great and costs nothing but a few minutes. If you want to open an acct while you have an alert, the credit bureau will call you (for free) to get your permission. When you compare this to all the effort expended after someone gets access to you credit, it's really worth it.

KCI wingman

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Oh, oh.... I wonder if that's why they've been trying to call us every day? We check caller ID and don't answer. We have a rental financed through them :( No letter yet that I know of - hope we didn't throw it away thinking it was another ad to try and get more business from us - we've gotten a lot of those also.

Jan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Countrywide today. They can tell you if your SS was one of the ones that was stolen and if a letter was sent.
Jan