• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Not quite sure what to do next after first time purchase

Chilcotin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have finalized my purchase at Grandview at Las Vegas (98000 RCI points) and am waiting on the RCI form to transfer the points over to me (the previous owner had filled it out wrong and it had to be redone...the form is on its way to me). The title has been registered with the land registry office and the ownership switched over at the resort. My points are tied to week 4 which is coming up soon. Do I have to call the resort and let them know that I want the points not the underlying week? Should I hold off paying my MF until my RCI account is opened? Do you know approximately how long RCI takes to open an account?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We hope you bought resale. Your post wasn't clear. If you don't have the correct form in to RCI, they can't open your account. Ask them after you send it off and they have had some time to set it up. From your post, I understand that you are more interested in using the points than being in Las Vegas the end of January? Good move. If you don't show up, your points will be added to your account, but you need an account to be added to. You needn't call to tell them what to do with your points. There is a chance that either the resort or the previous owner will book you a week based on last years' points while the transfer is taking place. You won't get any points transferred without paying your MF. You will also have to pay RCI to join Points.

The questions you ask really all can be answered by 'be patient.' All these things will take place in due time.

I remember waiting impatiently while my first purchase of a resale points TS closed and transferred. It seems like too long a time, then a big fat envelope arrives with your welcome package.

Jim Ricks

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,
I had so much more FUN with my first RCI Points purchase. ;)

I brought a FIXED WEEK that I wanted of eBAY. Great time of the year and very good view. 6 months LATER, I get a letter from the main office of the resort's management company, asking if I was NOT interested in transferring the RCI Points membership that came with that week.

Duh? I was just learning about RCI Points via TUG (thanks!) and had watched most RCI Points contract sell for much (MUCH) more money than I had paid.:D I have a few more RCI Points contracts - I think I have already USED 85% of my 2012 points or is it the 2013 points that I have used.

==> The resort I own at KNEW that the week was converted. Call the resort and ask if there is some there who is the RCI Points contact for RCI ... they should be able to answer your 2012 usage questions NOW ... might have to email them a copy of the deed.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are the owner at the resort

Not paying your annual fees will only cost you in late fees and penalties.
The RCI point connection has nothing to do with your agreement to pay your annual fees.

The account is currently in RCI points and you are transferring that account so the week 4 is irrelevant as RCI has already taken your 2012 year and assigned that account the points.

RCI is slow, I have had a points account transfer that I faxed in back in mid November that hasn't been completed, so as you haven't even sent the form to RCI I would guess you are looking at late January or early February before yours is done.

fwiw,

Greg

I have finalized my purchase at Grandview at Las Vegas (98000 RCI points) and am waiting on the RCI form to transfer the points over to me (the previous owner had filled it out wrong and it had to be redone...the form is on its way to me). The title has been registered with the land registry office and the ownership switched over at the resort. My points are tied to week 4 which is coming up soon. Do I have to call the resort and let them know that I want the points not the underlying week? Should I hold off paying my MF until my RCI account is opened? Do you know approximately how long RCI takes to open an account?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Chilcotin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help!

Jim I was one of the lucky ones who found TUG before my first timeshare purchase so I did buy resale :) I feel I did good as I got 98000 RCI points for under $800 with a management fee of $690.

Hopefully, my RCI form will arrive in the next few days and I can get the last piece put in the puzzle of my first timeshare purchase. Meanwhile, I'll continue to read TUG daily and keep learning about timesharing.

Chilcotin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so excited. The RCI Points transfer form is in the mail to RCI and I sent it Express Post from Canada so they should have it by Wednesday.

Also my first available use year is 2011 so I got an extra 98000 points that I didn't have to pay a MF fee for...an unexpected Christmas present :)