• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Not enjoying Disney, getting older, high maintenance—-should we sell or rent?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
We are retired now, early 60’s, own at HHI since 2001 and SSR since maybe 2005. Three children who are now in their 30’s and late 20’s, two young grandchildren. My husband has never enjoyed the parks, I used to, but now find them ridiculously crowded, hot and overpriced. Our maintenance fees are in the $500/month neighborhood, which we can afford. However we prefer relaxing vacations in Hawaii, for example, or touring in Europe at this stage in our lives. We have exchanged into Adventures by Disney but we know it’s not the best use of points. With that background, I’d love to hear your thoughts about selling our contracts. Have you done it? Do you regret it? Why or why not? How about renting? Is it easy? Does it make more financial sense than just exchanging into ABD? I’m mildly concerned that if we sell I’ll be sorry not to be able to take the grandchildren on a memorable trip, but honestly...will I be irked to spend so much money on a trip to a place that we don’t enjoy?
Give them to your kids. I wouldn’t sell them unless they absolutely don’t want them. Owning DVC is probably the best vacation club to own. Rent for a few years and recoup the money on maint fees and make a few bucks. See how the kids would use it. If they are adamant about not transferring the ownerships to their names then sell them.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We own a tiny number of points compared to you so it’s a little harder for us to get fed up with Disney (we don’t go for very long). But still, we do get fed up from time to time. When that happens, we just take a break and skip a year or two.

It sounds to me like ultimately you should sell your points. But if you specifically don’t like the parks, you might consider some resort-based trips. I personally could see an Animal Kingdom Lodge concierge level stay with zero park days, or spending a week or 10 days at Aulani. Obviously since you own at HHI that option has probably occurred to you, as has a beach stay at Vero Beach.

Since you have young grandkids, I think it makes sense to hold until you’re sure you won’t be using your DVC as the grandkids evolve. DVC is super easy to rent the years you’re not using it, so until you’re 100% sure, I’d hang on to it. But definitely sell if you’re sure you’re done with Disney because it’s eventually going to go down in value,

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Your query has helped me be distracted from things at home that are really irritating me!!! Had a few more thoughts. I see that Hilton Head is $9.10/point for dues and maintenance. That is high. I don’t know if you use those points to reserve DisneyWorld stays or not. I do know that people love Hilton Head resort. And are willing to buy resale and you could offload that contract. Regarding your SSR contract. You can do a deed transfer to your kids, although there is a deed transfer fee from title companies. I would have a serious conversation with the kids. We no longer want our DVC. We can sell all our contracts and get (insert dollar amounts here). Or we can transfer such and such deeds to you (you can transfer ownership to immediate family members and they become real DVC members with all of the benefits of legacy owners...rules have changed for those that buy resale, but this process protects your family). But.....they are then responsible for all dues, maintenance and real estate taxes. Tell them exactly how much. You sound as if you and DH don’t get any joy from DVC any more. But then again seem like you are not in any kind of financial woes at this moment. You’ve received lots of good info here...and lots of conflicting ideas too.
There is no right or wrong answer. But then again, you were looking for ideas and input. Good luck with your decision.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn't say how many points you own in each but my offhand advice would be to sell the HHI - Jan 2042 is coming like a freight train - and keep the SSR for now. With SSR's 2057 expiration they will hold their value better over the next 10-20 years and if you wish to give them to your kids there will be many years of vacations left. In the meantime, it's easy to rent DVC points and much more lucrative than using them for ABD.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
You didn't say how many points you own in each but my offhand advice would be to sell the HHI - Jan 2042 is coming like a freight train - and keep the SSR for now. With SSR's 2057 expiration they will hold their value better over the next 10-20 years and if you wish to give them to your kids there will be many years of vacations left. In the meantime, it's easy to rent DVC points and much more lucrative than using them for ABD.
Small correction with SSR expiring in 2054 and AKV expires in 2057.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Small correction with SSR expiring in 2054 and AKV expires in 2057.
Oops...you are right. OKW extended and AKV are 2057...SSR is 2054.

blondietink

Reaction score
We have been to Aulani with our DVC points 3 times so far. I would use a bunch of points to go there is I were you. It is very relaxing with a little Disney feel, but not overwhelming. You can also exchange into RCI resorts of which there are quite a few in overseas. I would not sell right away until you have tried those routes.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want the steady income and don't mind doing the work, keep it. The demand is really high, usually fetching $20 per point. But if you are ready to be done, you will certainly make a profit. I bought 2 resales in 2015 and we sold them last year. They both sold for more than what we paid for them even in the short time that we owned them.

Just be cautious that your broker doesn't ask too little as we did have Disney exercise ROFR on our last one.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you asked you grown kids if they want your points? I gave 400 Disney's Old Key West points to my son two years ago. He and his wife enjoy Disney but they always go there during the off seasons. I didn't want any money for the points so everyone was happy. In fact the transfer was easy peezy.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Have you asked you grown kids if they want your points? I gave 400 Disney's Old Key West points to my son two years ago. He and his wife enjoy Disney but they always go there during the off seasons. I didn't want any money for the points so everyone was happy. In fact the transfer was easy peezy.
Ugh.....I would have pretended to be your child for the transfer LOL. I want points!