• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Northwest Airlines Seat Assignment

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have never flown NWA before. On the day that the seats were available, I selected our seat assignments. We usually try for a window and isle, hoping that the middle stays empty. I just received an email from NWA because of a schedule change which involved the times of the flights, not the Flight number. All of my seats were reassigned to an isle and middle. Is this common practice for them? It seams that the old seat assignments I had was in are now Preferred seats. Is that why they just randomly reassigned me? This time around, I reassigned us in side by side isle seats.

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Typical!......When we flew NWA in Dec., they pulled the same thing on us. My husband needs an aisle seat so he can put his right foot in the aisle (back surgery!). They reassigned him an aisle so his left foot was in the aisle......GRRRRRRRRR! Nothing they could do, according to them. I really think NWA thought this was funny! Not to my DH, who stood most of our flight.....

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seat Assignment Changes

Usually this happens if there is an aircraft change, say from a 757 to a A320. When that happens all bets are off.:mad:

At least you were able to get aisles across.

Cheers,

Paul

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
It happens frequently with every airline. It doesn't even have to be an equipement change. Something as little as changing the departure time by a couple of minutes and their idiotic computers go nuts with the seat assignments.

Recently we had issues with United doing this. My wife is slightly claustrophobic and needs to be towards the front half of the plane. This was a 777 and sticking her in middle section of seats is a no go for her.

So, what did United do? They kept changing some little thing about the flight every so many weeks until they had us in the second to last row and in the middle section of seats with the flight be essentially full...........unless we wanted to pay an additional $69 pp to move up to economy plus. Oh yea, I paid the money. I've also tried to avoid United since the pulled a similar move with us back in 2005 and that's when I had status with them.

Right now I have a schedule change with NWA I'm going to have to do something about. Rather than flying to Detroit and then on to Boston they have us flying to Minniapolis, then Detroit and then onto Boston. Two layovers when we're just going to Boston really isn't acceptable. If they can't change it back to one layover, I may have to cancel this flight all together, request a refund and pay more to book on someone else. Neigther of us are all that thrilled with NWA out of Wichita anyway and the price they charged us wasn't THAT good.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have never flown NWA. The reason I booked with them is because it was not easy getting flights to Santa Fe from NY.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
NW has been my main airline since I bailed out of DL and comped my elite status over to NW in the www.saveskymiles.com fight. I have rarely had this occur on NW, although it was much more common on DL. Now that NW has been taken over by DL, I suspect that it will become even more common. But I have just comped my status against, fleeing DL, to CO.

I remember one time back when I was primarily flying DL that they made an aircraft change in Zurich to a smaller aircraft for the TATL flight back across the pond in which there were not enough seats for everyone ticketed on the original aircraft. All new seat assignments were being made at the airport and those last in line would get a hotel voucher and a ticket home the next day. If it were not for something I really needed to have gotten home for, I would have waited and gotten the free night in Zurich.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
In the fWIW column, when I called concerning the unsatisfactory change of itenerary, I was limited as to which flights they would allow us fly. The flights I wanted and that they were actively selling seats on where not allowed. Instead we ended up flying the Barbie Dream Jet (CRJ) and then on her friend Skippers Jet (embrair). This is NOT going to thrill my wife by, everything else that they would allow was either rotten times or bad routing.

Needless to say, I am NOT impressed. But then again I've never been overly impressed with any airlines customer service. IMO, there are not good airlines to deal with. Only varying degree's of rotten. :(

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you think DL's shifting around its and its new acquistion NW's fleets is bad on domestic routes, at least those are shorter flights. It is not as bad as buying a flight on one of NW's nice A330s with the great IFE and finding out you have been downgraded to a DL single aisle jet with crappy IFE. That is happening to more and more TATL flyers. I am keeping my fingers crossed that my upcoming TATL flights (now credited to my CO ff account) on NW in the next few weeks will remain on A330's as they still show and don't meet this fate.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually this happens if there is an aircraft change, say from a 757 to a A320. When that happens all bets are off.:mad:

At least you were able to get aisles across.

Cheers,

Paul

Or even better, they got me on a DTW-West Palm flight day before Easter. 757 to DC9 style.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or even better, they got me on a DTW-West Palm flight day before Easter. 757 to DC9 style.

DC9's have a higher percentage of 1st class seats, so more chance of an upgrade. I love to fly on 9's and have never failed to get an upgrade on one. For regional jets, the now departed AVRO's were great in that department, too.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
DC9's have a higher percentage of 1st class seats, so more chance of an upgrade. I love to fly on 9's and have never failed to get an upgrade on one. For regional jets, the now departed AVRO's were great in that department, too.

Well we just about got left in DTW, with a flight into FLL and $400 vouchers. DH did get a 1st class seat and since we volunteered to get bumped and were generally pleasant to the GA, she got me 3 seats together for me and the kids.

Honked a guy with 4 kids off that he started a fight with DH, GA and the co-pilot on how we got 1 1st class seat and 3 together. I think he was justed pissed that he had to sit with his kids(small toddler, preschool age plus whiny baby). My 7yr old spent much of the flight amusing the whiny baby because the wife was across the aisle from us.