• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Northstar Lodge Hyatt/Welk

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I grabbed a retrade for this property end of March 2024 (spring break). We own Summit Watch. I need to use my deposit for a ski week somewhere, and the 2 bedroom is helpful. I was hesitant to consider Breck properties because I prefer to sleep at a lower elevation. What does everyone think about Northstar late March and this property compared to what I am used to at Marriott Summit Watch? I am confused by the Hyatt/Welk management but the photos look beautiful.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi @vacation dreaming
I have read about Northstar on the Welk forum & recall reading that it was very hard to get even for Welk owners due to popularity and location.

Last edited:

paxlin

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Hacienda Encantada
Marriott Summit Watch
Northstar Lodge is a very nice resort. It is nicer than Marriott Summit Watch, which I also own.
However, late March condition at Northstar will be hit and miss depending on weather.
It is a long walk to the Big Springs gondola, but next to the gondola that goes up to Ritz Carlton.
Northstar is pretty good for skiing but do not have expert tterrains. But its very good for blues runs, with a few black runs on the backside.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is a former Welk property. Marriott Vacations Worldwide purchased Welk in 2021 and rebranded it Hyatt Vacation Club. It isn't a former Hyatt Residence Club property.

paxlin

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Hacienda Encantada
Marriott Summit Watch
This is a former Welk property. Marriott Vacations Worldwide purchased Welk in 2021 and rebranded it Hyatt Vacation Club. It isn't a former Hyatt Residence Club property.
Actually it was initially Hyatt property with only 1 building. Welk then purchased it from Hyatt and built out the rest.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Actually it was initially Hyatt property with only 1 building. Welk then purchased it from Hyatt and built out the rest.
Ahhh. I remember now. So it is possible that the OP exchanged into either the HRC part or the HVC part?

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhh. I remember now. So it is possible that the OP exchanged into either the HRC part or the HVC part?
I was wondering what the difference was between HNS and WNL were in II... I guess that is it...

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I can tell from the confirmation and I don’t know if it matters which building I traded for? My summary of reading reviews seems to be that Welk did not keep up with maintenance and hopefully Hyatt coming back into the picture will solve that. Specifically, I found several complaints about filthy carpets. I do have a teenager who likes black ski runs so hopefully the blues are harder blues. Weather is weather and we are stuck with spring break week so I guess I won’t worry about that.

paxlin

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Hacienda Encantada
Marriott Summit Watch
One more thing I forgot to add is that there is free overnight ski storage right by the Big Spring gondola, so you don't have to lug your skis all the way back to the resort after a day of skiing. Just remember to ski toward the gondola entrance at the end of the day and the storage is right there.

seatrout

Reaction score
I grabbed a retrade for this property end of March 2024 (spring break). We own Summit Watch. I need to use my deposit for a ski week somewhere, and the 2 bedroom is helpful. I was hesitant to consider Breck properties because I prefer to sleep at a lower elevation. What does everyone think about Northstar late March and this property compared to what I am used to at Marriott Summit Watch? I am confused by the Hyatt/Welk management but the photos look beautiful.
The Northstar property Hyatt side is more equivalent to Ritz Carlton, Vail or Aspen. In the Hyatt system, it is comparable to Hyatt Aspen or the Park Hyatt Beavercreek. It is a very nice property and you are very lucky to get it. It is ski in ski out but you need to be able to do Blue run. There is no comparison in Summit Watch and Northstar. As to end of season snow, it is variable so you would need to check the weather. There is no night ski there as compared to Park city.

Last edited:

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Northstar property Hyatt side is more equivalent to Ritz Carlton, Vail or Aspen. In the Hyatt system, it is comparable to Hyatt Aspen or the Park Hyatt Beavercreek. It is a very nice property and you are very lucky to get it. It is ski in ski out but you need to be able to do Blue run. There is no comparison in Summit Watch and Northstar. As to end of season snow, it is variable so you would need to check the weather. There is no night ski there as compared to Park city.
This sounds FANTASTIC. From the photos and research I could find, the Welk built units appear to be equally as nice as the units originally built by Hyatt. When you say “Hyatt side” are you referring to specific units, or the perspectives of Hyatt owners? I do believe the units that were recently deposited were all under the Interval Code used by Welk. Thanks!

Jblub

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of black runs there. He’ll have lots to take advantage of. It is a beautiful resort.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
There are plenty of black runs there. He’ll have lots to take advantage of. It is a beautiful resort.
Most of the black runs at Northstar are not really expert. It's a great cruising hill and it has good tree skiing when there is fresh snow, but expert skiers will find little challenge there. Northstar has the nickname "Flatstar".

Jblub

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the black runs at Northstar are not really expert. It's a great cruising hill and it has good tree skiing when there is fresh snow, but expert skiers will find little challenge there. Northstar has the nickname "Flatstar".
I'm not an expert skier so maybe not the best judge of what's truly difficult or not. I live in the Bay Area and Northstar is my go to resort. I ski the occasional black but there are some runs at Northstar I won't go on. The trail map is at https://www.northstarcalifornia.com...tar/maps/20221115_NS_Winter-Trail-Map.001.pdf
Another thing to consider if you're going there March of '24 is to get the Epic Ski pass early for next season. Epic raises its prices as it gets closer to ski season so committing to buy early saves money. Even if Northstar is the only Epic owned resort you are skiing all season it still might make sense for you to get the annual Tahoe value pass since you won't be there during any of the blackout dates. Mine was around $530 for this season and the kids' passes were $265. That doesn't take many days to break even on.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert skier so maybe not the best judge of what's truly difficult or not. I live in the Bay Area and Northstar is my go to resort. I ski the occasional black but there are some runs at Northstar I won't go on. The trail map is at https://www.northstarcalifornia.com...tar/maps/20221115_NS_Winter-Trail-Map.001.pdf
Another thing to consider if you're going there March of '24 is to get the Epic Ski pass early for next season. Epic raises its prices as it gets closer to ski season so committing to buy early saves money. Even if Northstar is the only Epic owned resort you are skiing all season it still might make sense for you to get the annual Tahoe value pass since you won't be there during any of the blackout dates. Mine was around $530 for this season and the kids' passes were $265. That doesn't take many days to break even on.

Definitely this! I am going to Park City next week and I bought an epic pass last May just for this trip because the pass was significantly cheaper than buying lift tickets at PC would be for a week.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

Park City Resort does not have any night skiing either that I am aware of? They close at 430 everyday.

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I decide to fly into SFO how bad is the drive? I got a Sunday check in so I might spend the weekend in San Francisco and drive out on Sunday- I am assuming heading out on a Sunday should reduce the traffic issues.

Jblub

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I decide to fly into SFO how bad is the drive? I got a Sunday check in so I might spend the weekend in San Francisco and drive out on Sunday- I am assuming heading out on a Sunday should reduce the traffic issues.
It's about a 3hr drove from the Bay Bridge with no traffic. OAK is a closer airport and primarily used by Southwest. Going towards Truckee on a Sunday should be relative easy if the weather is okay. Leaving Truckee on a Sunday afternoon can be rough during the height of ski season but by late March you'll probably be fine.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Northstar Lodge is a very nice resort. It is nicer than Marriott Summit Watch, which I also own.
However, late March condition at Northstar will be hit and miss depending on weather.
It is a long walk to the Big Springs gondola, but next to the gondola that goes up to Ritz Carlton.
Northstar is pretty good for skiing but do not have expert tterrains. But its very good for blues runs, with a few black runs on the backside.
This year
It's about a 3hr drove from the Bay Bridge with no traffic. OAK is a closer airport and primarily used by Southwest. Going towards Truckee on a Sunday should be relative easy if the weather is okay. Leaving Truckee on a Sunday afternoon can be rough during the height of ski season but by late March you'll probably be fine.
This year it’s likely that they’ll still be skiing in March. There’s been record snow this year! We’ve been then there when they were skiing at some resorts in July. As the locals there say, “snow ski in the morning and water ski in the afternoon!”

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
In the past, there have been posts about filthy carpets and some other neglect issues. I personally experienced filthy carpets, filthy floors, and an air conditioning problem that had existed for over a year (based on a previous exchanger in my same unit with my same problem). The "bones" are good, but the maintenance has been lacking.

In spite of these issues, I'm still positive on the resort. In fact, I have an exchange to Northstar this July and June 2024.

I'm wondering if anyone else who has recently stayed at Northstar is seeing recent improvement to the years of neglect under Welk? Is Hyatt doing anything or is it still status quo?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the past, there have been posts about filthy carpets and some other neglect issues. I personally experienced filthy carpets, filthy floors, and an air conditioning problem that had existed for over a year (based on a previous exchanger in my same unit with my same problem). The "bones" are good, but the maintenance has been lacking.

In spite of these issues, I'm still positive on the resort. In fact, I have an exchange to Northstar this July and June 2024.

I'm wondering if anyone else who has recently stayed at Northstar is seeing recent improvement to the years of neglect under Welk? Is Hyatt doing anything or is it still status quo?
Today I ALMOST booked a June 2024 week at Northstar, but I remembered a discussion about Lakeside construction restricting access and other complaints. Couldn't verify online so decided to pass. What is the story there?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Today I ALMOST booked a June 2024 week at Northstar, but I remembered a discussion about Lakeside construction restricting access and other complaints. Couldn't verify online so decided to pass. What is the story there?

Different Hyatt (High Sierra).

Northstar is not on the lake.