• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport, Maui, Palm Desert, Oh My!

Kokonut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talked to the Sales Center at NCV. They are sold out of July 4th Platinum Plus weeks. I suspect that any such week submitted for ROFR would be snatched up for inventory.

hot2trot

Reaction score
When do you vacation? How often will you go to your home resort? If it is 2 out of 3 or 4 years then buy where you want to go. Think down the road when the kids are out of the house; how will you vacation then? Will you ever want to be in a smaller than 2 bedroom villa?

If it is the summer months, the desert is awfully hot then! While Villas I doesn't lock off, it is closer to the hotel, it is the largest of all the villas (over 1600 sq. ft!) and has a VERY high trading value if you own in the platinum season.

Newport Coast Villas as you know does not lock off, but the gold season trades very well, the platinum season has gotten pricey and 80% of the platinum owners want 20% of the time June, July, August and it can be a problem booking one of those weeks. Many owners there own multiple weeks so they can book 13 months in advance. The property is beautiful though!

The California resorts do not have property taxes included in the Main. Fees, so if you total them up their M.F.'s aren't cheap.

Of all the resorts, Hawaii has the highest M.F's because it is so expensive to maintain property in Hawaii and they require more maintenance. It also includes more housekeeping and property taxes. Right now the airfare to Hawaii is killing tourism there. The prices more than doubled when the gas went so high. Will this change your travel plans?

One of you other options is to buy what is called a 50/50. You actually own an every other year at two different resorts. For Example Even Year Plat Desert Villas I, Odd Year Newport Coast, or Even Year Maui Odd Year NCV. That would solve your dilemma!

Yes, Newport has plans to add a restaurant when the sales center is gone - well, it will never be gone, but they will shrink it down when they get sold out. They will be adding a much larger spa as well.

Yes, you can book in the 13 month window if you own two separate resorts as long as you are booking the weeks concurrent or consecutive. Doesn't mean you have to use them, but you have to book them that way. So, if you want a summer week in Newport, then you have to own a summer week in the Desert or own in Hawaii when it is platinum all year.

It depends on your budget, but the 50/50 may be the way to go for you. Hawaii isn't easy to trade into especially Maui during June July and August. (Doesn't mean it can't be done but you just have to be patient)

tiger1210

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not consider Shadow Ridge? They have lock-off capability and I have always had great trades and also AC's. Don't rule it out!