• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Coast Visit Update

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Owner & Exchange Wine and Cheese Social: Not an actual Social, we did get the wine and cheese then sat down for a primer/slideshow on how to use II and Marriott points more efficiently and then many plugs for Sales.

Did get more understanding of the Pecking order in getting July/August. If you own six weeks here you will have priority over a five week owner to get that first jump on those prime months and on down to the measly EOY one week owner like us. At least four owners attending owned more than four weeks. Once in that prime unit, they stay the whole time. I believe the MC said $32,500/week was the going Platinum price right now.

2. Shuttle service: There is a street sign saying Shuttle Stop just beyond the big water fountain. We took the 10AM shuttle to Fashion Island -- a high end and unique shopping center (mostly outdoors). You can stay until pickup at 2:15 or 6:15. It's about a 20 minute ride.

3. Tennis: The courts are at the very far end of the complex -- a huge walk so drive there. Rackets can be rented at $15pp and can charge to room. Pick up rackets at Activity Center in Bldg. 2200. You also can have a shuttle pick you up and take you home if you call them.

4. Activities: Every day has over ten activities for all ages and real fun ones like Iron Chef Competition where you pick up secret ingredient at King Triton's Cove and go to your villa and prepare one dish using the secret. Return your dish by 2:15pm to be judged.

Closing comment: This development is getting way too large. :annoyed:

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cathyb, take the shuttle to Laguna Beach one day. It was a lot of fun. Good beaches and the shopping is good.

CatJ114683

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure you seek out Cafe Zoolu in Laguna Beach for the best swordfish ever. Very small, very delightful place. You will need a reservation or they can prepare to take out. FABULOUS. :cheer:

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Big Matt: Thank you. Yes Laguna Beach is fun -- we had lived in Orange County for 20 years so are very familiar with it and the surroundings. In fact stayed in a timeshare there two years ago.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cat: Ahhh now this we have not heard of -- muchos gracias :)

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
They charge a fee for tennis rackets??? :eek: Even my measly non-5*/golden pineapple resort loans them for free! Marriott is fast becoming the extra fee King.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to shop and lunch with the rich and famous -- go to Bristol Farms in Corona del Mar Plaza on Avocado (off Coast Hwy). Besides women dining in giant diamond jewelry and shiny leather pants, we saw a chauffeur taking a lady to have lunch there.

It also is a large grocery store with very high end food/wine and fresh flowers from places like Singapore. They have a huge deli department, lots of cheeses and the fresh fruit shine so much you could comb your hair looking into them. :) Well worth the four mile north trip. Bring money.

In their lunchroom I had a Maui Taro and Blue Cheese 'Burger' just to give you an idea of how exotic their menu can get.

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Missed Bristol Farms when we were there and went to Albertson's in Corona Del Mar. Not ritzy at all. In fact, not as nice as most Alberston's, but cheaper than Pavillions up the road, and they had a shaker of salt. We went several days without salt and pepper because Pavillions didn't have any small shakers unless you wanted to pay $$ for sea salt with a grinder. I will make a point to check out Bristol Farms on our next stay.

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we stayed at NCV in June they had little salt and pepper packets (like you get with 'to go' orders) in the kitchen, in a little tub. No more of those at NCV?

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just for kicks...I shopped at Pavillions most of my visit and they had great food and the deals were amazing if you buy on sale. I used my safeway card there (of course Pavillions and Vons are part of Safeway).

Salt is less than a dollar for a normal sized container. Not sure why you didn't just buy that. I love the Kosher salt though and if you were looking for that, I had a bit of trouble finding it.

Isn't that area wonderful. :D

Missed Bristol Farms when we were there and went to Albertson's in Corona Del Mar. Not ritzy at all. In fact, not as nice as most Alberston's, but cheaper than Pavillions up the road, and they had a shaker of salt. We went several days without salt and pepper because Pavillions didn't have any small shakers unless you wanted to pay $$ for sea salt with a grinder. I will make a point to check out Bristol Farms on our next stay.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Packet of salt and pepper are still here as well as coffee filters and starter two packages of coffee.

ACE1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pelican Grill

We ate at Pelican Grill when we were there in March. Beautiful view, good service and the food was very good. A bit pricey but very convenient since the shuttle will take you there. I think we may have gotten a discount since we were staying at the villas but I am not sure about that. We will go back again.

billfoster424

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious, has anyone tried the Pelican Grill Restaurant across the street from NCV at the Pelican Hill Resort?

http://www.pelicanhill.com/#/?page=dining

It seems like a nice place, based on the website.

My wife and I have eaten there when staying at the Newport Beach Marriott. I felt it was a bit "stuffy" personality wise. Food was good service was too just seemed like the other patrons as well as the staff were a bit stuck on themselves. Could be the "Newport" thing. Other than that I would say go!

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Salt is less than a dollar for a normal sized container. Not sure why you didn't just buy that. I love the Kosher salt though and if you were looking for that, I had a bit of trouble finding it.
I didn't want a big container with a pour spout. I wanted one of those convenient picnic packs with the salt and pepper. Two clerks tried to help me locate them to no avail. They had nothing with a shaker whatsoever when we were there, big or small, and while the large salt may be cheap, the pepper wasn't. Now I know what to bring from home the next time. The packets in our room had gotten moisture in them. I guess we could have asked for more, but they are not as convenient as a shaker. No worries though. Albertson's came through and with a choice of cardboard or plastic.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
ace1: Did you make arrangements for shuttle to pick you up after dinner?

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forgot to relay a tip made at Owner's meeting to help in getting July/Aug. :eek: He said many owners that do get those months will turn them in as high demand traders for other hard to get places -- soooooo, he suggested you take another month, say like June, and turn around and do Request First with II for July/August. He claims owners are successful in getting those tough months.

ACE1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pelican Grill

The shuttle will take and pick you up from the Pelican Grill or at least they would when we were there. However the night we went we decided to drive ourselves and we used the valet parking. But we have used the shuttle from many of the resorts before and find them very convenient.

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used the shuttle for dinner too. We had a birthday dinner booked at Garlic Joe's which is about 15 mins. away on PCH. The driver said he had obligatory stops to make but was free after 7pm. So we booked our dinner for 7:30pm and he took all 10 of us down there which was SWEET! He also picked us up at 9:30pm. I just gave him a call when we were paying our bill and he was there pretty quickly. My Mom gave him a nice tip for accomodating us all.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear you on the pepper cost. I was just assuming you could put the big salt in the salt shaker in the unit.

I know this is probably a little strange, but I always bring a couple of tupperware containers full of my must have spices. When I get there I use the tupperware for leftovers if I need the extra containers. I also bring cling wrap, foil, and zip lock bags. I even brought my own pepper mill. When we just went to NCV I put all of the stuff in an Igloo cooler and put it in a duffle bag for the plane trip along with our beach towels, etc. With four of us we managed with four bags to check including that one.

I didn't want a big container with a pour spout. I wanted one of those convenient picnic packs with the salt and pepper. Two clerks tried to help me locate them to no avail. They had nothing with a shaker whatsoever when we were there, big or small, and while the large salt may be cheap, the pepper wasn't. Now I know what to bring from home the next time. The packets in our room had gotten moisture in them. I guess we could have asked for more, but they are not as convenient as a shaker. No worries though. Albertson's came through and with a choice of cardboard or plastic.

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear you on the pepper cost. I was just assuming you could put the big salt in the salt shaker in the unit.
I never saw a salt shaker in the unit.

We called and reserved the shuttle one evening for dinner as well. We went to The Melting Pot in Irvine via the toll road. We were prepared to pay the toll, but the shuttle had a sticker. It was very convenient. I wish that we would have used it the evening we went to Rockin Baja at the Newport Pier as we drove around for a good 15 minutes just looking for a parking space. FYI, I love their bucket of crab there, but I wish it wasn't so cramped and noisy.

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the Bristol Farms you refer to on Avocado the one on the fringes of Fashion Island and near a Tommy Bahama Rest. and store?

Janna

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They had nothing with a shaker whatsoever when we were there, big or small, and while the large salt may be cheap, the pepper wasn't. Now I know what to bring from home the next time.

Yes! This is also exactly why we bring spices, condiments and salad dressings from home, because they really add a lot of $$$ to the grocery bill and make one week very expensive. Of course, I try to leave the kitchen sink at home, but sometimes my husband swears it must be in the car with all the other STUFF!!!

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was one in our unit. In fact there was a pepper shaker too. Marriott had put some salt and pepper packs in the shaker.

I never saw a salt shaker in the unit.

We called and reserved the shuttle one evening for dinner as well. We went to The Melting Pot in Irvine via the toll road. We were prepared to pay the toll, but the shuttle had a sticker. It was very convenient. I wish that we would have used it the evening we went to Rockin Baja at the Newport Pier as we drove around for a good 15 minutes just looking for a parking space. FYI, I love their bucket of crab there, but I wish it wasn't so cramped and noisy.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great idea :)