• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbies and Scared with Sunset Group

tbear104

Reaction score
We visited mexico over christmas holidays and got cornered by someone at the airport and ended up at a timeshare presentation (that is not what he called it). The presentation was with Sunset Group at the Hacienda Tres Rios Resort. Is there anyone out there who can help me know if this was a good decision and also is there anyone out there who has had a good experience with Sunset Group? All the information we can find on them is very negative. PLEASE help, we only have today left to cancel according to the 5 day cancellation policy in Mexico.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Cancel NOW, while you can! There is nothing they told you or sold you that you can't buy on the resale market for a fraction of the cost. And if you later decide to buy there anyway, you can save a fortune buying on your own terms elsewhere. Check resale prices on eBay - they'll amaze you how cheaply things are selling.

Please rescind while you have the option. Follow all the instructions to the letter, so you do it right. You will not regret it.

Good luck!

Dave

tbear104

Reaction score
More Questions about getting out

We are not sure if we have the COMPLETE list of how to get out. What we think is that we have to give written notice within 5 business days and that is it. Do you know of any other things that need to be done to get out, like talking to PROFECO (what we understand as being Mexico's better business bureau).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is only one thing you have to do - follow the directions for sending a written rescission today. That's all the law requires. If the resort is giving you more hoops to jump through, they are just trying to make it more difficult than it really is, so you won't be able to rescind. If you wait, it will be too late.

Here is an FAQ about rescinding for more info. It was written for another system, but besides that, everything applies to you.

Please rescind today!

GOOD LUCK! :hi:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Others here will have more experience to help you. I've never had to rescind a sale. But search the forum threads here. There is a wealth of experience on this board.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance. All I know is nobody here ever says they wish they HADN'T rescinded. But virtually everyone who doesn't rescind says they wish they HAD.

BTW, I checked on RCI.com to check for rental availability of your resort. They have *TONS* of units available, from studios to 2 bedroom sizes, from January through December 2009. Virtually any time of year is available, at prices ranging from $179 to $350 for the week. After you rescind, if you want to stay there, you could rent a week for a lot less than you're paying to buy one.

Dave

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to add my advice - rescind while you have the option. - do not deal with that group no matter what their sales sharks may have promised you. Send your cancellation by fax, registered mail, overnight courier, whatever you have available.

K.

tbear104

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for this info. I cant believe we agreed to this sales pitch. I hope we can get out without a big hassle.

Sunterra

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for this info. I cant believe we agreed to this sales pitch. I hope we can get out without a big hassle.
Agreeing to sales pitch: ~$200
Buying: (~$20,000)

PROFECO is for problems when they won't honor your rescission or won't do what's in the contract, or won't do what they promised in writing, or maybe if you can build a case won't do whatever.

tbear104

Reaction score
Thank you,
That is my next call.
I have been trying fax, email, call and none of the faxes are picking up on the other end "no answer from remote fax", no reply from email, and no one picks up at the sales department. I am writing down every call, fax, email, time, transaction that I try to communicate with them. My next call right now is PROFECO. Got there info off the internet. I have cc them on all of my emails to Sunset Group.

amarillored

Reaction score
Tres Rios

Just reading your postings about your purchase at Tres Rios to see if you got your purchase rescinded. We had the same experience last week and are so afraid we have made a serious mistake. We got home Sun and have charges posting to our credit cards that we don't know what they are for. I've talked to sales manager to no avail and member services with no results. Any help you can offer would be appreciated!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You need to look through your paper work for the rescission instruction and rescind immediately.

You need to call your credit card company and tell them you didn't authorize the charges and you want to challenge them, and block any further charges. You need to call the credit card company right this minute.

Here is an FAQ about rescinding for more info. It was written for another system, but besides that, everything applies to you.

Don't bother calling the resort again - they will only stall you until it is too late to rescind.

Last edited:

amarillored

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response. I am afraid it is already too late as we purchased first day of our 7 day stay in Mexico and didn't find out about the misrepresentation by the sales agent until their membership rep called us. I will try all your suggestions anyways and keep my fingers crossed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is a link to info. about a Mexican Govt. agency that helps buyers with timeshare fraud - you should contact them. I understand that they are slow to respond, but they are helpful.