• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie to exchanging

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I have owned my timeshare since 2007, but I have never exchanged outside of the Sheraton Vacation Network. So, I am going to ask some (most likely) dumb questions.

I have perused II and I somewhat understand the process. Either I deposit first or request first. If I deposit first, what happens if my request is not fulfilled? I need to make a Las Vegas request for the 2nd week of May in 2017. I own a two BR floating timeshare week at SVV in Orlando. I assume since it is an Orlando TS it isn't very desirable(since there are a gazillion TS in Orlando). When am I SOL for my request?:eek: At some point I will have to make other arrangements if the exchange doesn't work out. I assume this isn't a quick process. Maybe I am misunderstanding the whole process. My SVV week can be booked for crucial holiday weeks and maybe that would give me more leverage? Plus I am assuming the 2nd week of May in Las Vegas isn't high demand.

Next quandary, when I request Las Vegas, with the dates I need, does Interval pick the resort or do I get the final say? If I get choices, what if the choices aren't what I was hoping for? (i.e. miles from the strip, I want to be walking distance.) :shrug:

Off the wall question. I have a 2BR unit, is there any way to pay the difference to get a 3BR unit?:shrug:

TIA,
Gina

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Gina - Starwood has very specific II rules that are not quite the same as the general II rules, so the info. you get here may not be accurate for Starwood resorts.

It would be helpful for you to read the exchanging FAQ at the top of the Starwood forum.

Four points:

-Starwood does not permit you to make a reservation and deposit it. With Starwood, you get a generic credit to exchange - thus, you cannot reserve a holiday week and deposit it. You can only deposit a specific week if it is a true fixed week.

-With a 2 bdm. deposit, you cannot request a 3 bdm. exchange, and you cannot pay for an upgrade.

-If, however, you can "see" a 3 bdm. available on the II website, in the online inventory, you can make an instant online exchange - but that's a real long shot.

-On II, you can request the specific resorts you want.

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I have read the info in the stickies. It makes my eyes cross.:eek: I thought owning/exchanging within the SVN was complicated. I will call II and see what I can figure out.

Thanx

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have read the info in the stickies. It makes my eyes cross.:eek: I thought owning/exchanging within the SVN was complicated. I will call II and see what I can figure out.

Thanx

Be aware that you may get the wrong Info. from II, because of the special Starwood rules, unless you talk to the Starwood desk.

What other questions do you have?