• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie Question on Points

Beacon888

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, HGVC BAYCLUB
My wife and I are looking to purchase HGVC timeshare in either Las Vegas or Orlando. We're mainly purchasing there for the price point. 7000 platinum points. How hard is it to book Hilton Hawaiian Village for summer and winter months when kids are out of school? I am getting advice from Judi Koz, where she advises to purchase at Hilton Hawaiian Village to get first priority in choosing dates. There's a big purchase price and annual maintenance fee difference. What would you do?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
My wife and I are looking to purchase HGVC timeshare in either Las Vegas or Orlando. We're mainly purchasing there for the price point. 7000 platinum points. How hard is it to book Hilton Hawaiian Village for summer and winter months when kids are out of school? I am getting advice from Judi Koz, where she advises to purchase at Hilton Hawaiian Village to get first priority in choosing dates. There's a big purchase price and annual maintenance fee difference. What would you do?

Judi is giving you good advice -- it is definitely not certain that you can get HHV in the summer -- it is possible, but it is not a certainty. It is my understanding from HGVC TUGgers who have owned longer than I have that it used to be much easier, and it is getting more more difficult.

And naturally, when the kids are out of school is the most highly sought after....

Good luck and welcome to TUG!

Best,

Greg

Dreamz999

Reaction score

Judy is right. It's very hard to book at HHV especially during the peak season no matter if it's Kalia, Lagoon or the Grand Waikikian. You will need to plan ahead and book at the 12 month window. I've been trying to get another room for my friend during the same week that we go but to no avail. I've been calling everyday, more than twice a day but still no luck. Most people buy HHV because of location. They want first priority. Yes, it cost more but you're guaranteed since it's your home resort. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own in Vegas and have been able to get HHV during our Easter break and February break by booking the day the window opens. Personally I have not seen Christmas break available but I have seen 1bdr's during the summer months. I agree with Judy if Ohau is where you want to go every year then buy there but if not keep in mind the Big Island seems to be easy to get into during most times of the year.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Beacon888

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, HGVC BAYCLUB
Thanks Everyone for your feedback. Gives me a lot of things to think about before I purchase.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
It's still possible to book HHV right at the nine-month mark. Book three nights, then keep adding to it every night or two. However, I booked a week in June at Kalia all at once after the nine-month mark, and there was still good availability in all size units in all three towers.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
It's still possible to book HHV right at the nine-month mark. Book three nights, then keep adding to it every night or two. However, I booked a week in June at Kalia all at once after the nine-month mark, and there was still good availability in all size units in all three towers.

Linsj, do you remember if it was early, mid or late June?

That's very good to know....thanks very much!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here are some more old threads....regarding the 3 day add on, availability at HHV after the 9 month mark, and other related HHV discussions.

Have you found it necessary to play the 3 night, then add reservation game - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101887
Adding onto a 3 day reservation - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81779
Sightings Alert - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134694
My opinion on hhv - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114130
At the Grand Waikikian & not overly impressed - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162442

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Linsj, do you remember if it was early, mid or late June?

That's very good to know....thanks very much!

June 11-18 this year. It's a studio, which is generally hard to get in Kalia since there are only a few.

Beacon888

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, HGVC BAYCLUB
How hard is it booking the 2 bedroom units? I know the points required are from 7000 to 9600 points. Still thinking whether to buy at HHV or another resort for points. All your feedback is greatly appreciated

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you plan on going to HHV every year or even every other year I would definitely buy therer. Especially since you are limited to the summer months. It just seems to get more and more difficult to get a reservation.