• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie - HGVC Valdoro

Tonezef

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to buy my 1st HGVC and really just looking for the best deal for around 8400 points. There is an ebay auction that has Valdoro for $1495 currently.

Spring/Summer/Fall Week (8,400 points) - don't think I would really stay there but really just looking for points for other locations.

MF would be around $1900

Trying to see what I am missing and why this is listed at such a low price. Auction on ebay closed yesterday for Marbrisa for 8400 for around $4K.

anderik1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are relatively high maintenance fees. If it passes first right of refusal, you still may be better paying more up front and less every year.

Vegas often seems to have some of the lowest fees to points.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
That is a really high MF. To determine you should run the following calculation for each HGVC property you are considering:

Price (including closing costs) + (MF × 15 years) = Total cost

If you plan to own more or fewer years adjust the yearly value in the equation.

IMO for points trading you would do better with a Vegas property such as Paradise 7k plat or BLVD 7k plat in which the MF is half that cost at about $950 / year ($985 and $900 to be exact). With a $1000 savings in MF annually you would make up that purchase price in a few short years. For example, if you paid $6000 for a Vegas 7k, that Vegas unit would only take 4 more years to be a better deal than Valdoro at $2k with a savings of $1000/year.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As others have stated, Valdoro has relatively high maintenance fees per point so unless you are planning to use it for Home Week priority reservations, Valdoro is not a very good property to own just for generic points. Ski weeks at Valdoro go for much more, but you need to own either a fixed week or a winter float week there in order to get the 12-month Home Week booking priority at Valdoro -- that is another reason why the week you are looking at is priced quite low.

Kurt

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
Agreed. When we decided HGV was what we wanted to do we found TUG and began months of research. It took months of looking through websites, reading TUG, and figuring out the whole fees to point ratio. After all of that we still have lots to learn. These great minds of TUG are a great asset when making a new purchase.

That being said, we got a great deal on a gold 5000 point package but should’ve held out for a bigger platinum package. Even though the platinum points are higher, the fees are the same (same season).

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Agree with all of the comments above and will add a little bit more color since you are a "guest" and presumably a timeshare newbie... Often you will hear folks on here say "buy where you want to stay", but this is less important for points systems like HGVC because unless you want to stay for a full week (vs doing shorter trips) AND you always want to go during the same week or type of week (i.e. summer week or Christmas week) AND in the same size unit you bought (meaning if you own a 1 bedroom but this year you want to travel with family and get a 2 bd)... unless all 3 of these conditions are met then you really should be focused on maximizing the number of points you get per MF (maintenance fee) dollar while balancing the upfront costs (purchase price).

If you are thinking of purchasing HGVC (or any other system for that matter) but are curious about which property and how many pts, what's a fair price etc etc, you might actually benefit from filling out the newbie survey and getting some higher level feedback? Go here to do that: https://tugbbs.com/forums/forums/new-to-timesharing-start-here.17/

I don't mean to offend, btw, just remembering back to when I was a newbie and thinking of the types of advice I wish I would've gotten :) For example, I'm curious how you landed at 8400 pts, I myself started at 3500 (studio plus platinum at Elara) to test out timesharing in a relatively low-risk type of entry...

Keep asking questions, this community is awesome!

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are relatively high maintenance fees. If it passes first right of refusal, you still may be better paying more up front and less every year.

Vegas often seems to have some of the lowest fees to points.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Valdoro does not exercise the right of first refusal

Tonezef

Reaction score
thanks for all of the feedback on this. Think I am staying away from this resort. MF too high. Like every one stated, better to pay more upfront than pay the high MFs. Only really want the points and not dependent on resort