• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie Flying to San Diego, Need Help

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just learned that we will need to fly from CT (well, probably one of the NYC airports) to San Diego and back sometime between June 28 and July 3. The competition my daughter is dancing in will be held at the Mariott Hotel and Marina. I'm not sure yet if we will stay there, but probably. Our family has only been on one plane trip together, so I'm not sure how best to go about securing airfare. I looked at jetBlue a couple of weeks ago and already the prices have gone up. Trouble is, I don't know yet what day she's dancing and I don't think we can stay for the whole event. Someone suggested we fly into an airport other than San Diego, rent a car and drive as that might be cheaper. She couldn't remember which one. Can anybody make alternative airport suggestions I could look at? Also, are certain days of the week cheaper than others? Would it be worth it to stay an extra night or two to travel on more favorable days? Any and all tips would be appreciated!

yan19454

Reaction score
I flew to LAX and drive there. A lot of air line fly to LAX

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
How far is that? Some of the flights I pulled up on Expedia show a flight from NY-LAX then LAX to San Diego.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
LAX to San Diego is NOT a drive I'd want to make unless I had to. It will take you at least two hours, possibly more.

Other airports that would be closer (but possibly not cheaper) are Long Beach (for Jet Blue), Orange County and Ontario.

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
Fly to San Diego. The Marriot is only a few miles away from Lindberg Field. You can take a taxi or bus to the hotel and save on a car rental.
Flying to the LA area, usually only saves about $50.00 per ticket. Than you get to sit on the 405 and traffic.
Basically weigh the amount of money you save on your airfare, vs how much your energy is worth driving down to SD.

For the record, we fly out of LAX most of the time, we can get a non stop there, that we can't get from SD. Changing planes sucks with a toddler:)

Al

Bill4728

Reaction score
Fly to San Diego. The Marriot is only a few miles away from Lindberg Field. You can take a taxi or bus to the hotel and save on a car rental.
Flying to the LA area, usually only saves about $50.00 per ticket. Than you get to sit on the 405 and traffic.
Basically weigh the amount of money you save on your airfare, vs how much your energy is worth driving down to SD.

Great advice!

Only fly to LAX, if you can't fly direct to San Diego but can fly to LAX direct.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP...Check F9 and HP (Frontier and America West)...

I'm seeing a F9 A fare (LGA-SAN) for 198.00+ r/t for your dates but haven't seen availabilty. Their web site is booking into W at 324.00 all-in. I saw WN at 137+ one-way as a comparison.

If you can pin down precise dates, or are flexible, let me know.

Pat

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
camachinist said:
OP...Check F9 and HP (Frontier and America West)...

I'm seeing a F9 A fare (LGA-SAN) for 198.00+ r/t for your dates but haven't seen availabilty. Their web site is booking into W at 324.00 all-in. I saw WN at 137+ one-way as a comparison.

If you can pin down precise dates, or are flexible, let me know.

Pat

Thanks Pat, but in layman's terms, please? :) I don't know what all your abbreviations mean. When I said newbie, I meant NEW-BIE!

Last edited:

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
ctreelmom said:
Thanks Pat, but in layman's terms, please? :) I don't know what all your abbreviations mean. When I said newbie, I meant NEW-BIE!
A fare and W fare = booking classes of ticket
r/t = round trip
WN = Southwest Airlines
198+ = 198.00 plus taxes and fees
one-way = one way ticket
all-in = includes taxes and fees
haven't seen availabilty = airline lists fare but seats aren't yet available or are currently sold out. That's why I need dates.

Hope that helps!

Pat

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it sure does. We need dates too! I know the dates of the whole event, but the organizers (and I use that term loosely) haven't released the schedule so I don't know what day my dd will compete. I know reservations for the host hotel open February 10, so I would think they'd release the schedule by then, but you never know. We haven't decided yet if we will go for the whole event or go the day before she dances and leave the day after. I'm starting to wonder if what I might save by buying plane tickets now would offset the extra cost of staying in the hotel for the whole event.

Now, the other piece of this is: Is there an RCI-affiliated TS near the Marriott Hotel that I might be able to trade into or get a bonus vacation/last call for? Or, is this area super high demand? Can you tell I've never been to San Diego? I was in San Franciso once years ago, but that was a business trip (ahhh, the days of an expense account) so I didn't need to worry much about cost.

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are TS in the greater San Diego area but only one in SanDiego "the Gas Lamp Plaza" The other ts are about 30 -45 minutes out of town.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Bill4728 said:
There are TS in the greater San Diego area but only one in SanDiego "the GasLamp" The other ts are about 30 -45 minutes out of town.

There are other timeshares in San Diego and the San Diego area:

Coronado Beach Club (Coronado)
Casa de la Playa (La Jolla)
Capri by the Sea (San Diego)
See the Sea in San Diego

However, I would think any of these would be hard to get.