• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie confused

RyanBuckner

Reaction score
I'm a Wyndham member who converted my points to RCI Weeks last year. That week will expire on September 30th and I have no travel plans.

What can I do (other than extend the timeframe)?

Can I sell this week, exchange, rent?

sorry for the Newbie question but I have never used my membership in 5+ years and they always expire, what a waste!!. :banana:

Bill4728

Reaction score
You can't rent weeks you get thru RCI (or II)

The best idea would be to give it to a friend.

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Wyndham member who converted my points to RCI Weeks last year. That week will expire on September 30th and I have no travel plans.

What can I do (other than extend the timeframe)?

Can I sell this week, exchange, rent?

sorry for the Newbie question but I have never used my membership in 5+ years and they always expire, what a waste!!. :banana:

Ryan, this is going to sound mean, it's not meant to be... but the saying "more money than brains" comes to mind here! Bought it, Paid Maint fees for 5 years, and haven't used it once???:eek: You need to spend some time here, ask some serious questions of the wyndham experts' and figure out how to take best advantage of what you own. You're missing out on some nice vacations that you are already paying for! as for the current week that's expiring? I agree, find a family member or friend and become their hero! give it to someone who can use it! Good Luck Man! You're in the right place to get the right answers! RT

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
sorry for the Newbie question but I have never used my membership in 5+ years and they always expire, what a waste!!.

Are we talking about RCI membership or Wyndham membership?

Have you take any vacation these 5+ year? If so, what time frame? Are they around the similar time, or it just randomly pick? Is it becase of your work, that you just don't believe you can take any vacation until you get everything wrap up than you will just take a quick one? And you don't know things is completed until it is completed? Why is it?

Is your work place can not run if you are not there? If that is the case, you have failed your job. Is it just you are so afraid that if your college take some shift of your workload, they will think you are overpaids, and lay you off? Or if you told your customer or boss that you will take off 1 year ahead, they will lay you off? Or is it just that you are start anew or constantly change jobs and want to get up the corp ladder, so in the 5+ plus next n amount of years, you will always strech yourselve until you can no longer strech and fail?

Or, is it the places you want go Wyndham does not have any resort?
Or, is all the places Wyndham has to offer, you just does not think it is worth to take days off?

You need figure out if you can take any vacation, or even willing to take any vacation before determine what you should do.

If you can not, you should sell it. Expect to loss 95% of your purchase price if you bought from developer.

If you can, just pick a day, call at 13 month, told operator you need to get your home resort, and make reservation. Or call at 10 month for any other Wyndham resorts that your deed is not based on. You need to get to use Wyndham internal exchange first.

Jya-Ning

RyanBuckner

Reaction score
I appreciate your honesty. To be honest, I take 3 big vacations a year and I have never been able to get RCI or FF to tell me there is a resort in my area (Sarasota Fl, St Martin, or Caymans) available. In fact, I called today and there are no resorts available for the time I need to travel for within 24months!! That seems absurd to me, and not what I was told when I bought the TS.

I admit that in 5+ I have never used my membership and it's a waste of money, and I know that with some education I could probably fix all that. So that's why I'm here folks.

Vacation time isn't the problem, the problem is that I probably should have bought a fixed week and instead I went with points. I know I can exchange, trade, etc...I just need to learn how. There are so many rules that quite honestly I give up after reading for an hour on what my options are, and let another year expire.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark !

"more money than brains"
Whoa !

You've got my number.

The main difference in my case is that I have more horns than I can play rather than more timeshares than I can use.

However that may be, I still am a big-league doofus regarding timeshare points management -- had to use some overripe timeshare points to get some dumb Disney tickets just to prevent the stale points from expiring completely.

Timeshare ownership is not a matter of Set It & Forget It.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
... Sarasota Fl, St Martin, or Caymans.

Wyndham does not have any TS resort in these area. And if you only have 60k, I don't believe you can get even if Wyndham decides to add resorts in these area. Even if you group them using credit pool and use once every three years, it is still not enough.

Are these places you will go all the time?

Do you want to change some places? Wyndham does has location in St Thomas, and Places in West FL like Destin and Panama City, although it is preety north.

With RCI, they are depended on resort deposit to them. There are chances you can get Cayman since I know they have make bulk deposit, but I will guess they are not going to be the time slot you want. Once deposit, it will get taken by the owner and disappear soon, so unless you call in and ask on that period, you will not get it.

You need put the RCI week deposit on-going search. And hope you get some bulk deposit from the resort that make its trading power lower enough you can get it. And it usually not happen that far (2 years). The resort probably rent it out first before they feposit to RCI unless their owners really want to exchange through RCI.

You can try Plus Partner route, in stead of deposit to RCI as week. Start from 10 month of your travel day, call Wyndham VC every day until it is 7 month ask them do an RCI point resort search on these area.

More likely, I will either not try Timeshare route, or use different TS company if I only want to go these three places.

Jya-Ning