• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New vacation option [HHI Home for DC Points Use]

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I would love to see this. Maybe Dioxide can combine his points chart and MF chart to get the per point cost?

There was a thread when the DC was first established but of course, MF's have increased since then so the figures would need to be adjusted. If you start a new thread, "Ratio of Enrolled Weeks MF's to DC Points Allotments" or something that you math wizards could make more correct, I'm sure you'll get good participation. :)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
There was a thread when the DC was first established but of course, MF's have increased since then so the figures would need to be adjusted. If you start a new thread, "Ratio of Enrolled Weeks MF's to DC Points Allotments" or something that you math wizards could make more correct, I'm sure you'll get good participation. :)
Its was Steven's thread, I'll post over there.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were a family of 5. Now we are a family of 15. I managed to book 4 units at GO two years ago but we couldn't get together after the little ones were in bed. Last year we rented a 7 bedroom house near N Forest for around $10,000(splitting cost by 4). It was the best family vacation ever. Something like this really would be great for big families.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
28 Pelican Street .....Nice option !!!!!

RENT THE POINTS and book it.....that's the way to go.

For 50 cents a point, it's not bad for a large dedicated house within a short walking distance to the beach, and I personally like the house a lot. The Old World decor is not so beachy, but it's still attractive, roomy, and very comfortable. I would love it.

The location is fine....not a problem in the world with that. There are several huge new homes in that area and more will be going up within the next few years, I promise you. I've driven thru there several times.

Compare the cash outlay ($6,000+) to renting 3 or 4 concurrent units at Grande Ocean, and I believe it's a deal (low estimate of $2500 per unit thru Redweek=$7500-$10,000). And the rooms are bigger, bathrooms nicer, kitchen awesome, "great room" fantastic.

If you're ever in that area, take a ride thru those quaint narrow little streets----it's actually pretty cool. Very quiet in that neighborhood, perfect for family gatherings. We'll see how it goes.

Let's compare the HOUSE'S proximity to beach vs Marriott's Surfwatch's proximity to beach:
(Open 2 separate pages and pull up both images side by side, I say it's virtually the same. In fact, due to the small difference in scale of Surfwatch's photo, I think the house is closer to the beach.)

House's proximity to beach:
https://goo.gl/maps/NxewsNUAWMr

Surfwatch's proximity to beach:
https://goo.gl/maps/TjCYjj5jx7R2

If there are more homes similar to this on the horizon, I think it's a wonderful pursuit for the "New" Marriott.
Only thing I'd like to see different at a "beach destination" would be a larger pool.

(Janette, I was typing my post when you posted yours---didn't see it until mine posted, but you're exactly spot on.....a great way to go.)

Last edited:

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love it!

I love the added diversity for the program!

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I think this will fall right into category of the Ritz owners who are in the DC club. They have points to burn and probably will associate with something more exclusive than spending time with the MVC rif raf.

Calcio

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can bike to Coligney Circle from there, so not a bad location, distance wise. Being outside a plantation definitely means you have less control of what adjacent homes might look like.

It is not convenient to use the amenities at Grande Ocean nor Surfwatch.

I know someone who owns a home on the street and it is a very nice neighborhood and a short walk to Coligney.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice option. Can you get pictures of the interior and the pool?

JME's mapping shows even more clearly that this house is closer to the beach than most of Grande Ocean's buildings- if you zoom out you can see it all in one view and really only the ocean front buildings are closer.

Someone quoted $3500 for rental of a house like this - that is way lower than the going rate unless it is in winter- I think Janettes quote of $10k is much closer to reality.

tlwmkw

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean

JME's mapping shows even more clearly that this house is closer to the beach than most of Grande Ocean's buildings- if you zoom out you can see it all in one view and really only the ocean front buildings are closer.

Someone quoted $3500 for rental of a house like this - that is way lower than the going rate unless it is in winter- I think Janettes quote of $10k is much closer to reality.

tlwmkw

Yes, my estimate of 2,500-3500 was much too low, as I was basing it on a friends house in HH that he rents out. It was before we knew just where this house was and how close to the beach it is (my friend's is much further from the beach) and his is a 4 bedroom. I agree that a house like this would rent out for much more in high season.

And Venter, I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to be around other MVC members or being more exclusive. The use of a house like this for family reunions or traveling with a big group, with or without kids is much more conducive than booking 2 or 3 2-bedroom Villas at one of the very nice MVC properties in HH. Yes, it's a lot of points either way, but it's a different vacation experience too. It's nice to have more options now with MVC as others have also mentioned.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score

tlwmkw
the one I posted was next door (or across street? Adjacent numbers) It was 10K-ish in summer

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Even estimating this house at being $10k/week, there is plenty of competition in the area for Marriott (not that it will affect their ability to rent it out, just saying). It certainly wouldn't be my first option.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... Let's compare the HOUSE'S proximity to beach vs Marriott's Surfwatch's proximity to beach:
(Open 2 separate pages and pull up both images side by side, I say it's virtually the same. In fact, due to the small difference in scale of Surfwatch's photo, I think the house is closer to the beach.)

House's proximity to beach:
https://goo.gl/maps/NxewsNUAWMr

Surfwatch's proximity to beach:
https://goo.gl/maps/TjCYjj5jx7R2 ...

... JME's mapping shows even more clearly that this house is closer to the beach than most of Grande Ocean's buildings- if you zoom out you can see it all in one view and really only the ocean front buildings are closer. ...

I don't understand the point of these comparisons unless you're talking about how many steps it takes to put your feet in the sand? Regardless of which resort you're talking about, as properties that directly adjoin the beach and are beautifully landscaped each in their own way, they're infinitely more visually-superior than a house on a street in a nice neighborhood of rental homes. Perception is key and I'd bet that the short walk through one of the resorts beats the short walk through this home's neighborhood any day.

I'm not knocking the neighborhood - it's very nice! But knowing the difference between the SurfWatch footprint and the nice rental homes neighborhood that's just around the corner, it seems odd to use how many steps it takes to get to the beach as a selling feature when comparing the home to the resorts.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I don't understand the point of these comparisons unless you're talking about how many steps it takes to put your feet in the sand? Regardless of which resort you're talking about, as properties that directly adjoin the beach and are beautifully landscaped each in their own way, they're infinitely more visually-superior than a house on a street in a nice neighborhood of rental homes. Perception is key and I'd bet that the short walk through one of the resorts beats the short walk through this home's neighborhood any day.

I'm not knocking the neighborhood - it's very nice! But knowing the difference between the SurfWatch footprint and the nice rental homes neighborhood that's just around the corner, it seems odd to use how many steps it takes to get to the beach as a selling feature when comparing the home to the resorts.

I think being in close proximity to the beach is very important for big family outings, especially if there are grandparents present. Steps to the beach do matter. The location of the house in question is quite nice, and walking through a private neighborhood is no problem.

The intent of my exercise was to show that the house at 28 Pelican St. was NOT FARTHER to the beach than the resorts (rather, it's quite close), and then also to simply give the visual to show that.

Most families will want to take a walk together, to catch up, so to speak, and altho most of the vacation will be in and around the house, walks on the beach, in groups, will be something everyone desires. Plus the activities in the house-----longer meals, playing games, telling stories, getting reacquainted with extended family members, and in general just hanging out together.

What landscaping one sees on the way to the beach doesn't much matter for this type of family adventure, altho the resorts do excel in this---it's the sand and surf they want, not the journey.

The 'house thing' is something that is rather MISSING in the current timeshare or accommodation experience, and now Marriott takes note of that and is inching its way into the door. They want to have a viable option for that customer too, and it's an attractive venture I think. Good for them.

(Not to digress, but I like flexibility and innovation, and Marriott has certainly latched onto that concept as they move forward, whether offering homes, retrofitting hotel properties as timeshares, or acquiring boutique hotel properties all over the globe. Sounds more interesting than simply building the cookie-cutter timeshare resorts, especially in and around big cities.)

As Janette said so well, many like her are already doing the house rental experience, but currently are compelled to seek out independently-owned homes to rent. But she has just illustrated that the need is there, and no doubt there are more Tuggers who will be intrigued by the home rental option as Marriott moves forward.

So far the cost of Marriott's home on Pelican St. in Hilton Head doesn't seem so prohibitive, especially when several families are participating. But these 'homes of the future' should hopefully remain reasonable and never outrageously priced, so I hope they're listening.

And.......who's to say it wouldn't work for several TUG couples together too, and not only traditional families? Now that would be a hoot.

Last edited:

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
New HHI Option - Seems similar to Worldmark options

Discover a New Place to Call Home on Hilton Head Island

For Owners seeking another option for hosting family and friends on vacation, we’re proud to announce a new opportunity on Hilton Head Island and yet another exciting way to use Vacation Club Points!

Chosen especially to accommodate big groups and even bigger vacation dreams, this 4,200-square-foot home on Hilton Head Island is the perfect place to connect with your loved ones. It features 5 bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms - plus a variety of quality finishes and luxurious amenities, including:
•Gourmet kitchen with stainless steel appliances
•Hardwood and tile floors
•Stone fireplace
•Private pool with hot tub
•2-car garage
•And more

During your stay at this vacation home in Forest Beach, you can walk to the beach or to Coligny Plaza and explore more than 60 shops and restaurants, play a round of golf on one of the island’s many courses or stroll along miles of sandy shores.

This new offering is the latest addition to the Explorer Collection and is available now to our Executive, Presidential and Chairman's Club Owners.

Last edited by a moderator:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This new offering is the latest addition to the Explorer Collection and is first being introduced to Chairman's Club Owners.

This new offering is the latest addition to the Explorer Collection and is available now to our Executive, Presidential and Chairman's Club Owners.

So have they expanded this offer to a larger ownership base?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So have they expanded this offer to a larger ownership base?

The original email dated Feb 22 said, "This new offering is the latest addition to the Explorer Collection and is first being introduced to Chairman's Club Owners." BUT included in that email was a link to this page which noted, "For Owners with Executive, Presidential and Chairman’s Club Benefit Level." So there was definitely some confusion at roll-out but the latest email seems to have fixed that.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I would love to know the points required for stays during different seasons. I'll be in Hilton Head next week (AGAIN, oh boy, 3rd time this year!!!!) and I'll check into it. I may call owner services and find out beforehand anyway since I'm very curious. I'll definitely run by the house and check it out, may even take a tour.

Looks like a real deal for what they quoted as a starting cost in the email (obviously off-season). But then, when is off-season? HH is crowded all the time!!! January and February are becoming more and more popular, and we personally like it just as much as any other time. The only "slow" times (and that's relative) seem to be specific weeks just before Christmas and around Thanksgiving.

Anyone who's been to HH during the past two months knows that the island is hopping, and dinner reservations are still necessary at the good spots.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Points required

Hi Marty, I posted the points requirements by seasons above...here it is again:

I just spoke to Marriott VC about the HH house. It is available to book now and Fasttr wasn't too far wrong on the peak season points. For the high summer season weeks (I asked starting July 1) it 12,750 points for the week (weekly rentals only). It stays at this level until the week of Aug 19th when it drops to 7,300 points through most of October. The week of Oct 28th it drops again to 5,500 points and in January it is at the lowest rate of 3,600 points. We would definitely consider booking this house at the 7,300 point level for late August, as that's the usual time we vacation at HH.
Looked at another way, dividing this cost split between 4 or 5 couples would come out to 1,500-1,800 points per couple for the week.
Really not a bad deal to rent a great house in HH!
I didn't book it yet, but will check to see which of our friends or family would be available later in the summer to join us.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
good option

Hi Marty, I posted the points requirements by seasons above...here it is again:

I just spoke to Marriott VC about the HH house. It is available to book now and Fasttr wasn't too far wrong on the peak season points. For the high summer season weeks (I asked starting July 1) it 12,750 points for the week (weekly rentals only). It stays at this level until the week of Aug 19th when it drops to 7,300 points through most of October. The week of Oct 28th it drops again to 5,500 points and in January it is at the lowest rate of 3,600 points. We would definitely consider booking this house at the 7,300 point level for late August, as that's the usual time we vacation at HH.
Looked at another way, dividing this cost split between 4 or 5 couples would come out to 1,500-1,800 points per couple for the week.
Really not a bad deal to rent a great house in HH!
I didn't book it yet, but will check to see which of our friends or family would be available later in the summer to join us.

Yes, you did post that.
Thanks, Brian, can't believe I missed it. I've noted those point requirements now, so I appreciate it. I also think it's a good option, and not too unreasonable for several parties to go in together. If 4-5 couples, it could mean a point rental price of $750 - $900 each, and that's awesome for a week in that place.

Gives another option now for a totally new experience. I could rent ALL the points and then have friends reimburse me for their share----that's how I would work it.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Surprised there weren't any pictures of the pool, but the rest of the photos were superb...except for the 20 steps you climb to get in. :)

Reminds me of the Destination Club days years ago on tug where several of us, me included, lost money. I also rented a beautiful VRBO home with pool about 5 years ago for 4 adults and 2 dogs for a great mid-Sept. holiday except the 100+ degree plus humidity. Early October might be excellent.

Brian