• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to this board.

fldtwice

Reaction score
We have come to the conclusion that the time has come to part with our timeshare week and do not have much idea how to proceed. I am aware of the TUG classified ads and have lurked at ebay but don't really have much idea of how to price the week. Additionally, I live in Canada and don't know what is required in regard to closing legalities and how such arrangements are made since the timeshare is in VA.
Any help is appreciated.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

middleoforchid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc, HPrincess, DSV2, MKO, MARtrust pts. Hokulani
Hi fldtwice, we sold a timeshare about a year ago thru a Californian timeshare broker,with the buyer paying the closing cost.Selling price was $3500 and the closing co. withheld 2 taxes--one for $350(10%) and another $100 or more for some sort of Hawaiian tax.I asked about it on the bbs and a kind TUGger said the taxes were witheld because it's done by a US closing co. If you can find a Canadian closing co. maybe you can save yourself some money. As a foreigner,you can claim the witholding tax back but when I saw all the forms that I had to fill out,I decided not to go thru w/it! Hope this will help you a little.... Angela

fldtwice

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt replies. I have read the "how to sell article" and I am finding more and more info on this site and others although for non-selfserving advice this is the site!
Thanks to this site we have avoided a very recent brush with the
$3495.00, "pay us and we will take your troubles away", group. So it's on to the next.

For the last twenty years we have been very satisfied with our VA timeshare. In conjuction with RCI it has given us everything we could wish for in flexibility and excellent accomodation, however since our retirement our lives have changed...sold the house and bought an RV. Now, it is not making good economic sense to park the RV in front of the timeshare.

In addition I have heard stories that a deeded timeshare becomes part of the estate and I have been assured that the young'uns are not interested in taking it over.

I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel with TUG, RedWeek and the other recommendations in this website.

Angela, I appreciate your advice re: a Canadian closing co....but they may be in short supply in NB. We will be spending the winter in TX so I may put a hold on the whole issue until then so that I can deal with an American co. that may be better versed in closings. I suppose there is no good reason not to advertise now.