• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to selling, tips to get started.

Reaction score
I'm trying to sell our timeshare points through Shell Vacations. And it almost seems harder because they are "points" and not a specific week. :confused:

I feel so lost in all the information. Where do I start? I don't even know how I would transfer it if I got an offer (which seems unlikely). :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started?

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tug has a knowledge base on that club
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44941.

If anything, with point, it actually make it better to evaluate and much easier to sell.

Not Shell Vaction Club owner, but I will suggest you check eBay's listing and complete sale (you need to log in, and after you get to the Timeshare search page, in your left bottom, there is a check box for complete listing, it usually hold 3 weeks result). So you will find what all the people used. Don't feel too shock if the price is too low than you think. It is close to bottom price in eBay.

If it just a club no deed base, you should be able to call Shell, ask an owner transfer form, fill that yourself and have the buyer signed, and send to shell. However, you will need someway to convice your buyer that you will not just scam them (cash their money and not do the transfer). If it is deed, then you would want to have closing company help you to prepare a good deed to transfer the ownership in the local office.

Read
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44 for how to sell.

No matter what you do, don't pay up-front fee more than $50

Jya-Ning

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw your other post
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80608

Very few timeshares can get sold if there is still loan attach to it. I don't know if Shell is part of it. You can see if you find any listing that ask to take over the payment.

You may want to first talk to Shell, or go over your contract first. It usually better to go over the contract first. To see if they want to just take back your membership and call it even. It maybe better if you find out from your state what they can and can not do to collect, so you know what kind of bargin chip you have before talk to them. With difficult economic situation lay ahead, I will guess most companies will take a tough stand try to collect any money signed by a written contract.

Renting needs some trying. If you have not done that before, I don't believe you can do that well. Since I am not shell owner, don't know what kind of cost it will be associate with cancel an reservation, you need to find that first. Than you can try to make some reservation and see if you can rent it out. With airline cost so much, I will suggest try to reserve places that can be reach by car. Find from AAA what season hotel charge most in that area, and figure out what kind of point it will cost you, and make some guess what kind of occupant rate it could be, than you can try to guess what is your potential rate of return, you need to find places and time that gives you best chance to get high rate of return and yet can be reserved in a easier way.

Be prepared that you may barely cover the MF with a few changes that help you pay a little % of Loan. You still need to pay most part of it.

If you know a lot of friends that like travel, and willing to rent from you, that will be better. However, when involve money with friendship, you need extreme think it through. Otherwise, you may find you are having difficulty to keep the friendship and not loss money.

Selling I would guess you will not be able to find buyer to cover your loan, so you need to pay the difference, and that could be very big amount in front. But check eBay listing first, so you can get an idea what you will going to pay (or get back).

Jya-Ning

Reaction score

Thanks so much! I looked around on the net, and it seems a lot is not known about Shell, and their "ways". lol

The Tug information was helpful, but didn't quite answer all my questions. I finally called them to ask a few questions. It looks like I will have to pay off the loan with them in order to sell. :doh:

Otherwise I'd have to do a membership transfer, and the other person would take over payments. And unless i find someone as naive as I was I don't think that will fly. Plus I would just be racked with guilt.

But it would only be a $200 "closing cost" to get the paperwork done, and that makes me feel better. Now I suppose its just a matter of selling it for more than $1.

I agree about renting and experience. The more I read (on the How to rent your timeshare thread), I worried about how complicated it could be. I think we will stick to just selling.

But thank you for answering and giving me some links. :D I felt like a deer in the headlights when I tried finding information.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what makes you want to sell your Shell points. look at your point range, look like you should be able to get 1 BD at Prime time in all the resorts that club has to offer.

If you have financial difficulty, then you have to talk to Shell. Either they can change the payment term, or take the property out from your hand and call it even.

If you just don't know how to use it, you should try to learn. It is much easier to commit a time in very earliest time for vacation than to take a loss.

Renting should allow you to cover MF and some more. With loan, it is not going to be able to cover it all though. Although it may take some skill to make a hugh profit out it, it is not that difficult if you just want to make some money with a point system. Since the determine factor is not at the time of purchase, but at the time of make reservations.

Selling as you found out, you either have to pay the loan off first or find some buyer that want to take over the payment. I did not rack Shell so don't know if it is possible, you may want to search eBay to see if there are ad like that. I know Worldmark do have ad like that. And beliee Marriott, Disney owner can sell like that.

Good Luck.

Jya-Ning

Reaction score
The idea to sell is mostly due to problems we had with the company. (It turned into a long dispute, and if we had the money for lawyers probably would have taken them to court).

So between that, and the monthly cost it just doesn't seem worth it. But ya... Lots of research to do for selling. :crash: