• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New sales pitch?

CarolinaMountaineer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our customer service rep today told us about a new plan that would hve us buy some points ($ per mo less than current MF) on a 10-year payment plan, during which we would pay no MF and at the end (or when note paid off) we'd have no more MF ever. Involves signing up for Rewards Plan, so I'm thinking maybe we didn't get all the 'fine print' gotchas, since he 'couldn't tell up everything that the other guy would tell us tomorrow.' Meeting in the AM so I'd like to go well-armed.

Any thoughts/experiences???

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Id be suspicious

I dont know how you can own without paying maintenance fees...dosent seem fair to the rest of us

perhaps its a discovery package (what I call the "try us youll like us" deal) where you pay for the use of a certain number of points and what you pay goes toward a future purchase...I thought that these were 2 year plans, not 10 and you pay about $10/1000 points

Your idea is a good one...read the small print...Id be worried that what the salesman said isnt reflected in whats on paper

What you might do is write down your understanding of the program being offered, and ask that it be added to the contract that you and they will sign (ps they will never sign it)

My short answer is dont sign anything,,,you will almost certainly do better buying on the secondary market

Last edited:

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
Something to consider since you obviously have internet access...

Do an eBay search for Wyndham Timeshare Points. Then modify the search to only those listings sold...and prepare to be shocked.

I'm willing to bet that you can find however many points you used to get to TN for less than $100 and maybe closing costs. Some folks do even better than that. $1 and free closing and transfer is not uncommon.

Don't you dare buy anything more from a sales weasel.

If you are curious as to other locations...consider renting so that you can "Try Them On" so to speak. Seriously, once you buy ANY timeshare, it's yours to keep...selling them is very hard, hence the ultra low prices on eBay.

Give yourself some time to breath...you're on vacation. Do not make any financial decision that will punish you for maybe the rest of your life. Honestly, don't you research more before buying a car?

No snap decisions while on vacation...unless it's Steak or Lobster for dinner...

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like cash back on a Wyndham rewards credit card to pay your mfs or referring other owners.

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has to do with getting extra points to rent reservations which will cover you MF and after your loan is paid off in 10 years you are supposedly maintenance free. Part of the pitch is to get Club wyndham access so you can have arp and more places to be able to get better rentals...blah blah blah. We got this pitch and it was your mf are $2500 a year and if you send 25,000 with us we get rid of your MF bill by renting out your extra points and then after 10 years once this is paid off then you are free in clear. If this was actually legit you would be able to do this with resale points.

Your way to end it quick after they pitch it is to show them an ebay listing for club wyndham access like this one...

Ebay listing

Then ask why you can't just do what he is saying with this listing since it would be the same thing for significantly less and that should end it pretty quick.

Jason

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like cash back on a Wyndham rewards credit card to pay your mfs or referring other owners.
Agree... it's probably a combine of Wyndham Rewards and your own personal consultant to rent out your points to defray maintenance fees.

It will sound wonderful on paper, but please don't be fooled. The personal consultant is one of the biggest lies used by sales persons at Wyndham. There isn't any such thing. One thing they won't tell you is if you rent your points through Extra Holidays, you only receive 65% of the net fees paid by renters and they may only rent one or two days out of your week. You lose the balance of the week.

The Wyndham Rewards card is nice for collecting Rewards points to use for motel nights while traveling to our timeshare vacation. That's all we use it for.

If you want to convert Club Wyndham Plus points to Wyndham Rewards points, it has to be done during the 12 month period prior to your Use Year start date. It's not for left over points at the end of a use year.

Regular use year points can be converted to Assessment dollars in the first 3 months of the Use Year and the conversion factor is .0021 per point. The example given in the Directory is 105,000 points converts to $220.50 maintenance dollars. So you can see that converting all your points will not pay all your maintenance fees for a year.

We once had a sales person use the conversion feature to try and sell us more points. It sounded great, but when I got home and used the directory to see how to do it, I saw that I couldn't use left over points at the end of the year to pay on fees and the conversion factor stinks!

Wyndham points are thrifty when used to stay at Wyndham resorts. Most other uses for points are gimmicks to make them sound better than they are for the unwary potential buyer.

Sales reps always find a way to avoid telling you what that conversion factor really looks like.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, YOU have agreed to spend a whole day of YOUR vacation being brow beaten by a sales weasal. Suggest you GO Fishing or Golfing or Shopping or sleep in. Be smart to unplug your phone ... and you will have a much better time.

As prior posters have stated:
Wyndham Rewards Credit Card, conversion of points to rewards and Extra Holidays "renting" stealling a weekend while you pay the MFs on the entire week.

I see a "gone fishing" sign on your door. :whoopie:

Last edited:

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then ask why you can't just do what he is saying with this listing since it would be the same thing for significantly less and that should end it pretty quick.

Jason

I doubt that would end it because then they will tell you the lie that resale points are useless in the Wyndham system... or they will be worthless next year after some planned changes are implemented. Only points bought directly from Wyndham will work for this system. :D

Why should anyone buy points from Wyndham then, that will never be worth anything in a resale market? Well, eBay proves pretty well that they aren't worth very much money.

Never fear, Wyndham can't afford to deny anyone's resale points for making reservations in the resorts. It's a contracted obligation. Resale points owners pay the same maintenance and Club Wyndham fees as Developer purchasers. What it says in the contract is what is. Only buy the amount of points that you plan to personally use. You will be obligated to pay the fees as long as you own them and. It is possible to rent your reservations, but it's not easy to defray your fees...no matter what a sales person will tell you.

Look through the rental section of the forum and you can see others working to rent some time to recover their fees. It's done every day, but most owners don't use Extra Holidays and nobody has a Wyndham "Count on Me" personal consultant or account manager.

ledaga

Reaction score
Rewards Points

The whole program is to get you to have a reward credit card through Visa and receive 10 points per $1 dollar spent which would possibly pay you fees if you were to charge about $5,000 per month on the card, however the catch is that you have to buy points from Wyndham to get the reward card to get the points.

If you wont buy the points then they will try to sell you a discovery package for 20 months and charge it on the card until it is paid and then you still have to buy points from Wyndham to continue to get points off the card.

They also use the ploy that you can use the discovery points to sell you points to Wyndham for $60 per 100,000 points to offset the MF until the discovery points go away and they you have to buy points.

They don't want you to talk cost of money or costs of program.

In my case it would take 15 years to break even with the purchase of points even with $5,000 being charged per month on the card.

It was an absolute joke. Don't get caught in the scam.

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rewards Card

you can get the rewards card without buying from developer , that is just another lie to get you to buy,I was told that I could never get one ,he argued the point so I pulled it out and showed him, then he said I could never join rci so i showed him the acct. # it is all BS,not to offend anyone but they are like used car salesman,they tell you anything to get you to buy, always buy resale unless you want to PIC points to be VIP, and on your rewards card you get $60.00 for 10,000 points,you can do the math from there. Sorry that my post is so similar to ledaga I skip the bottom of his post .

Last edited:

ledaga

Reaction score
$ per card use

$60.00 per $1000 of charges on card at 10 points per $1.00 charged on card. Therefore for me it would be $3500 charges on card per month to equal MF per month. Did you apply through Wyndham?

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
$60.00 per $1000 of charges on card at 10 points per $1.00 charged on card. Therefore for me it would be $3500 charges on card per month to equal MF per month. Did you apply through Wyndham?
I don't know about that "10 points per $1.00 charged on card" part.

I have the annual fee free card and this is what I get:

3 points for every $1 spend on Wyndham purchases
2 points for every $1 spent on non-Partner purchases
12,000 Bonus Points for 1st Use Welcome Bonus

They have a card that costs $39 a year and it have potential for:

5 points for every $1 spend on Wyndham purchases
2 points for every $1 spent on non-Partner purchases
16,000 Bonus Points for 1st Use Welcome Bonus

We use the care more for non-Wyndham purchases; so the $39 card didn't make any sense to us. We only use the points to stay in motels on the way to our resort vacations. Wingates are our favorites.

ledaga

Reaction score
member services representatives (sales)

There was all kinds of holes in their stories but the 10 points per dollar was his incentive amount per dollar. I think I will call corporate and get the facts from CFO.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, I forgot about the 10 extra points that Wyndham awards the card when you stay at a Wyndham motel/hotel and give them your rewards number. They have a Wyndham rewards card and the Wyndham rewards credit card. If you are using the credit card, you don't have to show the non-credit card to get the extra points at Wyndham properties. You only get points on the plain card by staying at Wyndham properties. If you use the credit card you get their 10 points plus those for using the credit card.

You would have to put your maintenance fees on the card and stay at only Wyndham properties to get points from both. You would not get the 10 extra points per dollar by any other purchases on the Visa card.

Save you a phone call. Here is the official Wyndham page which explains it. https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec/consumer/earnCreditcard.action

Read all the fine print on that page and try not to go bline :D

ledaga

Reaction score
member services lips were moving

As usual the lips were moving without a grain of truth. Could and would not support their economics package they were offering. It was so far from the truth it is unreal. It was at Branson Meadows

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
reward's card

I don't know about anyone else,but that's all I get , if the question was for me ,if I applied thru wyndham the answer is yes about 4 years ago when it was thru bank of america, I'm guessing that you would have to stay about 2 weeks a month at wyndham owned hotels to get anything close to what your talking about .besides all of you know that their sales people do not lie.