• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New owner, need to sell. Advice?

Greg_L

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations/Diamond Resorts
My wife and I purchased a timeshare from Hilton Grand Vacations/Diamond Resorts after spending our anniversary in a nearby resort using her Hilton Honors points. We were pretty impressed with the resort and stayed for a sales presentation. We ended up buying.

We've stayed in the resort about three times now and have paid our loan payment for four months and dues.

Our financial situation has drastically changed with two teenagers getting their licenses within a month of each other, so we've had to purchase two new (to us) cars.

We need to sell our timeshare, but I do not know how. I have bookmarked "How to Sell Your Timeshare and avoid getting scammed" and plan to read it this weekend.

I received a card in the mail yesterday from a company (no name provided) offering to buy us dinner and give us a $500 grocery gift card or a $100 gas card for attending. After sitting through several "owner's meetings," I know nothing is "free."

Has anyone dealt with this type of company? Is it a scam?

I've also read (elsewhere) that the first step in getting rid of your timeshare is contacting the resort to see if they can help. Has anyone been successful with that?

Sorry for all the noob questions. We're just trying to get our financial life in order, and a timeshare, at this point, is just not in our best interests. Maybe in the future, but not now.

TIA

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you have an outstanding Loan you will not be able to sell the Timeshare.

Yes these companies that offer to help you get out of your timeshare are all frauds/scams.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If you have an outstanding Loan you will not be able to sell the Timeshare.

Yes these companies that offer to help you get out of your timeshare are all frauds/scams.
Yep.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Don't bother contacting Hilton, they won't consider buying two cars for teens as a financial hardship, and they won't take back with a loan balance.

The postcard companies will either offer to list it for sale at an unreasonable price, and it will never sell, or advise you to default on the loan and take the credit hit. Both things you can do yourself for little cost.

Sorry, no magic solutions to this dilemma.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
We need to sell our timeshare, but I do not know how. I have bookmarked "How to Sell Your Timeshare and avoid getting scammed" and plan to read it this weekend.
Lots of information here. Read up and others who know more about this will help. Don't agree to anyone who contacts you offering to sell it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
as mentioned above, all the usual options for timeshare disposal are unavailable to you due to the fact that you still have a loan balance.

the only two ways to eliminate the loan balance after your rescission period is over would be to pay it off/transfer to another line of credit, or default.

Greg_L

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks so much for the information/advice. If the only options are to pay it off/transfer to another line of credit or default, we will look into the payoff/transfer option. Our credit ratings are too good for us to default on it, and in all honesty, we got ourselves into this; it's our responsibility to get out of it.

That being said, if we find a way to pay it off, we can sell it for what we can get and then pay the loan/funding source back. Correct?

Again, thanks so much for the advice.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Sorry to say the news isn’t good. Depending on what you own the market value can range from zero to maybe 15% to 30% of what you paid retail.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Harsh reality, but if you have a lemon, make lemonaid if there is no easy alternative path. Getting the best use out of what you paid for is the best revenge. Coming here to TUG is a good way to learn how to use it better.

Confused, but how could you be surprised your kids got their licences. They likely didn't go from 8 to 16 overnight. I assuming those events could have been anticipated.

Greg_L

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm watching the videos and reading the articles, and a lot of information concerns weeks and locations. We purchased points, not a specific week, and we don't have a set resort.

Does that change things?

I looked in the marketplace, but everything I saw was certain weeks for sale at certain resorts.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how to list this for sale.

Greg_L

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harsh reality, but if you have a lemon, make lemonaid if there is no easy alternative path. Getting the best use out of what you paid for is the best revenge. Coming here to TUG is a good way to learn how to use it better.

Confused, but how could you be surprised your kids got their licences. They likely didn't go from 8 to 16 overnight. I assuming those events could have been anticipated.
No, our kids didn't go from 8 to 16 overnight. They didn't want to drive for the longest time until life made them have to. Our daughter is 19, and she just got her license. Maybe that is something we should have anticipated and slept on this purchase before pulling the trigger, but hindsight is 20/20.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You can try contacting Diamond if you haven't but honestly you took out a loan and there is no easy way out.
Here's the link to their exit program (Transitions) but it requires payoff of the loan and they charge a fee.

On, TUG you can find Diamond point listings under the free timeshare forum or the marketplace for about the same amount.
1692154302131.png
1692155076718.png

Outside of TUG, there are point resale listings on Redweek. Here are some of the asking prices
1692154471234.png
1692154767203.png

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information/advice. If the only options are to pay it off/transfer to another line of credit or default, we will look into the payoff/transfer option. Our credit ratings are too good for us to default on it, and in all honesty, we got ourselves into this; it's our responsibility to get out of it.

That being said, if we find a way to pay it off, we can sell it for what we can get and then pay the loan/funding source back. Correct?

Again, thanks so much for the advice.
@Greg_L You might find that simply keeping the TS at this point may make the most sense. The money you've spent is gone. The value in timeshares is in the value of the memories they give families. Kids grow up, options change, but times spent together with families and loved ones are not replaceable.

If your financial situation allows it. Keep the TS. Pay the monthly/annual cost. If it is tight, book some nice prime weeks and rent them. You may actually make a few scheckels on them- or at least reduce the bleeding.

Good luck! We wish you and your family well!

Jim

Last edited:

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
I'm watching the videos and reading the articles, and a lot of information concerns weeks and locations. We purchased points, not a specific week, and we don't have a set resort.

Does that change things?

I looked in the marketplace, but everything I saw was certain weeks for sale at certain resorts.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how to list this for sale.
Yes. Points are worth ZERO on the resale market. A lot of that has to do with the restrictions on resale points. You would be lucky to give a points contract away.