• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Kindle wifi arrived today

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I received my new Kindle today. I had ordered it a few weeks ago when they first announced the new model. This is my second Kindle. I must say its lighter and slightly smaller than the previous one. The screen appears to be the same size. I had sold my original kindle (V2) right after I received my IPAD. However as much as I love the IPAD there is just too much glare when using it outside. Also for me I didn't like reading a book on it because its too heavy and the screen wears on your eyes after long periods of time.

So far I am really impressed with the new Kindle. The keyboard and controls are slightly different and I noticed you can now change the style of the font as well as the spacing, orientation, and size. I purchased the Wifi version for $139.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Congrats on receiving yours. Mine is due to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait! Is there anything you've discovered so far that I'd need to know? I've never had a Kindle, other than the (quite cool) app on my Droid phone, so it'll be a learning curve.

Dave

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Nice! I'm tempted to get one before my next trip to use by the pool and beach...

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Kindle is very user friendly - even my DH, who NEVER reads instructions, finds it easy. I would imagine the new one is even easier if that's possible. Love mine!!!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got mine right after lunch. Set up wi-fi while it charged up. It automatically searched and loaded the books/mags/games I ordered since ordering the K3. I've read most of the user guide, but it's mostly unnecessary. This will take some of my TUG time for sure. I likes it!

Jim Ricks

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Just got mine and it is charging. Do the pages always flicker to black when you change to the next one? That is a little irritating. It does not do that on my iPhone or online.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine arrived yesterday, was defective - but my replacement should arrive tomorrow. The 2 I ordered for my daughters arrived today, so when I get home from work I can play with theirs:) Since the 1 will be a Christmas present I will probably take one of them - then I can set it up tomorrow the way I want.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine arrived yesterday. Seems to reboot a lot, Will see if it gets better; if not I'll need a replacement also.

Nancy

hofftkmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got ours yesterday too. It seemed to lock up once already. Overall, quite impressive though.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Nice! I'm tempted to get one before my next trip to use by the pool and beach...

Now I never thought I'd see you give the nod to Kindle over your iPad. :eek:

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Playing with what was supposed to be my daughter's kindle - I just could not wait another day. Very happy with it so far. I will take it to work with me tomorrow to play some more:)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Mine came in today as expected. Just checking into it. Sure like it so far. No problems that I can see.

pittle, mine also flicks to black between pages. I guess that's normal?

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's funny I didn't even notice the black before until it was mentioned here and it is on original too. I received mine too but I still getting used to it. I put them V1 and this one next to each other and the contrast is better. V1 seems more comfortable and lighter for some reason probably due to being a larger frame. The screen is the same size plus the pages are easier to turn on V1 which is also part of its problem because I would accidentially turn the pages all the time. It feels more sturdy and will definitely travel better. I'll only had a little time to play with and read on it though.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Now I never thought I'd see you give the nod to Kindle over your iPad. :eek:

Keep this in perspective... I use my iPad every day... but it doesn't work outside. Now that there is a (relatively) cheap Kindle, why not get one as well? The only issue I have to struggle with is the need to buy books from two different stores now (fyi, I do not like the Kindle app on the iPad...I much prefer Apple's iBooks software).

We need the ability to buy books from any source and view them on any application. Hopefully, that will become reality sooner rather than later.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Keep this in perspective... I use my iPad every day... but it doesn't work outside. Now that there is a (relatively) cheap Kindle, why not get one as well? The only issue I have to struggle with is the need to buy books from two different stores now (fyi, I do not like the Kindle app on the iPad...I much prefer Apple's iBooks software).

We need the ability to buy books from any source and view them on any application. Hopefully, that will become reality sooner rather than later.

Ken,

Will the Calibre software accomplish what you need (e.g., purchase your book from a non-Apple source & then convert it with Calibre for your iPad)?

Richard

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken,

Will the Calibre software accomplish what you need (e.g., purchase your book from a non-Apple source & then convert it with Calibre for your iPad)?

Richard

Good question. According to the Calibre site, it should. But, it recommends using the Stanza application on iPad, not Apple's iBooks app. Now that iBooks supports PDF documents, I suppose it might be able to read Calibre converted books in PDF, though that's not as nice. I like the iBooks application because of its inherent capabilities, and I'm not yet sure if it's possible to use it as intended while buying a book from any other source than Apple. But, I'll find out and let you know.

I was given a Kindle yesterday (!), so hopefully it will arrive later this month as they estimate, which will be just in time for a late September trip.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Well, I just did a bit more searching on Calibre and iPad compatibility, and discovered a method to manually import an ePub formatted book into iTunes, which would then transfer to the iPad and be viewable in iBooks just as if it was purchased from Apple. Some references complain that the table of contents don't always function, and that there may be some formatting issues (though that doesn't make sense to me, since if it's truly ePub, it should be completely compatible). When I have time I'll try this and update the thread.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Still learning about my new Kindle. I mentioned to the spouse that I feel like I'm starting all over in grade school. There was a dramatic pause, and then I heard this reply...
(wait for it)
(wait for it...)
"You mean you're in KINDLEGARTEN?"

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Dave

mo1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that's pretty funny, BMWguynw:hysterical: :hysterical: Hadn't heard that one before.

So glad everyone is getting their Kindles and hope they all work out great.

Don't forget to check out the Amazon site. They have tons of free 1923 out of copyright classics that you can download. Don't know how long these will be available.

Have fun Kindlng, everyone.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Update on Calibre.

I bought a new book from Kobo in ePub format. What Kobo doesn't say is that the book has DRM encryption in it (I have since learned that all books at Kobo are DRM encrypted). I can't convert it via Calibre, open it in iBooks or do anything other than read it via the Adobe reader (on a computer) or the Kobo software on an iPad, etc. We need a universal standard.

Update on Kobo buying experience

Terrible! Initially, I bought the book without difficulty (it's a new book not available at Apple, and is ~$5 less expensive at Kobo than at Amazon). I was able to download the ePub format version and open it using Adobe Digital Editions. Then I tried to open it on my iPad using the Kobo software...no such luck. The book was not in my account. Strange, eh? I went in circles for a few minutes and then looked again online. Now my account doesn't show the book in my purchased list, but when I view the book page at their website I can buy it again, but it shows "this item is in your library".

I called Kobo and they escalated the situation to billing, which is only via email (I should expect a response in "24-48 hours"). The rep said I would get a refund and then should buy it again. Oh, really?

Not a great first buying experience with Kobo.

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My Kindle arrives tomorrow too! I got the version with the 3G WiFi. Does that mean I'll be able to check my e-mail on it too? I didn't really understand the difference, since the "basic" model obviously has to have internet connectivity in order to download books....

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Kindle arrives tomorrow too! I got the version with the 3G WiFi. Does that mean I'll be able to check my e-mail on it too? I didn't really understand the difference, since the "basic" model obviously has to have internet connectivity in order to download books....

Your wi-fi Kindle has an e-mail address, so it could receive e-mail. Though I don't know that you will want to. You have to specify permitted addresses (or domains) you'll allow. I don't think you can respond- at least not yet. New stuff is being enabled all the time. And frankly, the keyboard is not something you'll want to type much of a missive on.

If you go to the page Amazon sent you when it shipped, you can pre-register it, load your new books/mags/content on it. You can read the user manual so you will know the basics before you open the box. 'Course you can do that while it initially charges for 3 hours too.

Have fun with it, I have been enjoying mine for the last week. I need to stop ordering stuff to load it up with, but it's soooo much fun to place an order and see it appear on the kindle in seconds. Talk about instant gratification!

Jim Ricks

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand what you mean about ordering - just too easy:) I really hate to see my credit card statement when it gets here!! kindlecheapreads.com has some great deals - I have decided that for the next month, I will not BUY anything. What I can get for free will just have to be enough.

It is great to be ABLE to check my facebook, and my yahoo... but I really cant see using the Kindle to play on the internet, even though it can.

jamstew

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering ordering one, but I'm totally tech-challenged and don't know which one to get. What's the advantage of 3G that makes it more expensive, and why would one need it?