• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New "Founders Level" program for 1/1/20: what do you think

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased 127k points to be Platinum with 1k extra. The cost was $147 per 1k points. This was nearly 3 years ago.
Under 20k not bad to bump up to Platinum. How long do you calculate the pay back on this last purchase?

davejulien

Reaction score
Under 20k not bad to bump up to Platinum. How long do you calculate the pay back on this last purchase?

My mistake. We purchased about 177k points. I know our last purchase totaled around $26k with $147 being the cost per 1k points.

Anyway, how do you actually calculate the pay back? There is no easy way that I know of. The goal was since we got involved in this to go for the long haul. We’re 50 years old right now so we have many many years of discounts and upgrades. There are times and places that’s easy to book with 50% discount and upgrade. For instance I’m thinking of staying all of January at Bonnet Creek in a 2 bedroom. Last year it was so easy to book a 1 bed with upgrade for 63k points. To stay all month will cost 252k or $1660. To do the same with retail would cost 756k points or $4982 for a 2 bed all January. So that’s a savings of $3322. If I wasn’t going to Avon in February I’d see about staying for another month. I’m an IT guy so I can work anywhere.

There are other things that make it worth it like being able to deposit points all the way until the end of the year. This alone makes it so much easier to not lose points.

I kind of look at it if I had a second home it would be more expensive. I’d be paying interest and maintenance over the years. Taxes in a decent place might be at least 1/2 of what I’m paying in dues. With this timeshare I can go anywhere. Going to Vegas I can always get at 50%. Going to Chicago in 2 weeks for 3 days with 50% discount. I guess it’s all how you look at it.

The real kick in the teeth now is I’m in the middle of a divorce so that whole plan is shot out the window. I’ll need to find someone to travel with. Right now for January my mom seems interested. Nothing better then being 50 traveling with your mom. Lol. Moving forward I’ll need to find someone that enjoys traveling. My soon to be ex has said I can have the timeshare but allow her to purchase some vacations at cost. I’m good with that.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mistake. We purchased about 177k points. I know our last purchase totaled around $26k with $147 being the cost per 1k points.

Anyway, how do you actually calculate the pay back? There is no easy way that I know of. The goal was since we got involved in this to go for the long haul. We’re 50 years old right now so we have many many years of discounts and upgrades. There are times and places that’s easy to book with 50% discount and upgrade. For instance I’m thinking of staying all of January at Bonnet Creek in a 2 bedroom. Last year it was so easy to book a 1 bed with upgrade for 63k points. To stay all month will cost 252k or $1660. To do the same with retail would cost 756k points or $4982 for a 2 bed all January. So that’s a savings of $3322. If I wasn’t going to Avon in February I’d see about staying for another month. I’m an IT guy so I can work anywhere.

There are other things that make it worth it like being able to deposit points all the way until the end of the year. This alone makes it so much easier to not lose points.

I kind of look at it if I had a second home it would be more expensive. I’d be paying interest and maintenance over the years. Taxes in a decent place might be at least 1/2 of what I’m paying in dues. With this timeshare I can go anywhere. Going to Vegas I can always get at 50%. Going to Chicago in 2 weeks for 3 days with 50% discount. I guess it’s all how you look at it.

The real kick in the teeth now is I’m in the middle of a divorce so that whole plan is shot out the window. I’ll need to find someone to travel with. Right now for January my mom seems interested. Nothing better then being 50 traveling with your mom. Lol. Moving forward I’ll need to find someone that enjoys traveling. My soon to be ex has said I can have the timeshare but allow her to purchase some vacations at cost. I’m good with that.
So sorry to hear about the divorce. I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago. 1 bedroom. Great location. River walk nice and the architectural boat tour was worth every penny paid. Good luck moving forward and I am a believer in all things happen for a reason and hope it all works out.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I should have been more clear. We were told Founders level offers one to book all the time, even a year out, at 60% discount. However, to me, that is alarming because that puts increased demand on the same amount of inventory.

By the way, she said that Wyndham has "bought into" AirBnB and wyndham timeshares will offer some VRBO/AirBnB residences in exchange for your points.

Come 1/1/20 all platinums will be in the "Legends program" but with no increased benefits.

Deborah Harvey sounds like one of the more "inventive" Wyndham sales people we've heard of.

davejulien

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about the divorce. I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago. 1 bedroom. Great location. River walk nice and the architectural boat tour was worth every penny paid. Good luck moving forward and I am a believer in all things happen for a reason and hope it all works out.

Thanks for the condolences. New roads are sure to be traveled.

I’ve been to Chicago many times but my mom hasn’t. In fact she’s never been to many big cities before. She mentioned going to New York but I explained just how big that is. She settled on Chicago as a happy medium. It’s closer too so that also makes it more appealing.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade. Right now I have a studio. Nearly all of my reservations have been upgraded this year so there still is hope.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the condolences. New roads are sure to be traveled.

I’ve been to Chicago many times but my mom hasn’t. In fact she’s never been to many big cities before. She mentioned going to New York but I explained just how big that is. She settled on Chicago as a happy medium. It’s closer too so that also makes it more appealing.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade. Right now I have a studio. Nearly all of my reservations have been upgraded this year so there still is hope.
New York Is a must trip for you to take her on. Do it while you can still travel with her. I regret not being able to take my dad on these travel's.

davejulien

Reaction score
New York Is a must trip for you to take her on. Do it while you can still travel with her. I regret not being able to take my dad on these travel's.

Another issue with New York is I’ll be pushing her around in wheelchair around town. I wouldn’t mind taking her but it would be very hard for her to get in-and-out of vehicles all the time. Not to mention all the slopes and inclines in New York. Chicago just seems to be a bit better under these circumstances. I guess we’ll see how she does around Chicago and then maybe plan another trip if she enjoys this.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that the 800k is the 60% discount that you would get in your discount window. I've heard 60% at 60 days. That doesn't make me bite. 60% at 90 days out might be another story. It certainly isn't going to be from 13 months out.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Another issue with New York is I’ll be pushing her around in wheelchair around town. I wouldn’t mind taking her but it would be very hard for her to get in-and-out of vehicles all the time. Not to mention all the slopes and inclines in New York. Chicago just seems to be a bit better under these circumstances. I guess we’ll see how she does around Chicago and then maybe plan another trip if she enjoys this.
We stayed at Midtown this summer. Pushing a stroller (grand-daughter). Not all curbs are handi-cap accessible. Maybe 85%-90%. Manageable with a stroller, was thankful I wasn't pushing a wheelchair. We've done that with my MIL several places, it can be challenging. I'd probably still do it, but I was surprised. I swear every corner around here has the ramps, but not NYC? How can that be? (Sorry, guess we're a little off topic).

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that the 800k is the 60% discount that you would get in your discount window. I've heard 60% at 60 days. That doesn't make me bite. 60% at 90 days out might be another story. It certainly isn't going to be from 13 months out.

12 months out for a 60% discount. Make no mistake this was alot of BS to sell more developer points to a VIP that could not use or need. Another fine example of how Wyndham uses a marketing strategy to sell more developer points.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
If the 60% discount were true, maybe that’s how she got to 800,000 ‘bonus’ points. 1.4mm x 60% discount = 840,000 additional points available for use every year. I’ve listened to their BS so long I am beginning to think like them.

I would wait for the actual benefits to be announced .. though being that close it would be tempting.

If they did give such a discount, I agree they’d have to somehow prevent mega-renting by disallowing guest certificates on those reservations or something like that.

Bob

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

I agree with you. There are many things you can’t put a price tag on. My philosophy is, If we’re happy and can afford it, it pays for itself. I hope you find someone to travel with and enjoy many years of timeshare ownership.

JJVGHNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. There are many things you can’t put a price tag on. My philosophy is, If we’re happy and can afford it, it pays for itself. I hope you find someone to travel with and enjoy many years of timeshare ownership.
At an update in August, we were told that we better buy up to Platinum before 8/31...or else we'd lose our chance. We were told that the window for founders would be 63 days, kind of an odd number, I thought, and there would be 60% discount.
We didn't buy.
At another update last week, we were told the window for founders would be 75 days, and the discount would be 70%! They mentioned the discount for WM properties that will come with founders, and when I asked what they discount would be, they said 70% also, which would be huge benefit.
No mention of bonus points. And nothing in writing, we still didn't buy, will wait and see.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
I always get a kick out of these long discussions that are begun by nothing more than a rumor. Whatever a sales person tells you about a future program or program change is nothing more than a rumor. I acknowledge that there are changes coming to what we currently know as the VIP program, but the sales force is not given any solid information until it's official. And we will know when it's official because Wyndham will tell us. In fact we already know the basic outlines due to some leaked Wyndham documents; there will be two additional tiers of VIP (regardless of what they call it) and most or all of the current VIP entitlements will be grandfathered. Until the program change is actually announced, everything a sales person tells you about it has only one goal and that is to make you buy more points. And they will make up anything they think they need to in order to get you to buy.

But as for the original poster, if I were that close to the new rumored highest tier, I would buy up to meet it before the program is announced. But I don't believe that would entitle you to an additional 800k points per year. And most of the experienced Wyndham owners here have expressed the same opinion.

antjmar

Reaction score
How are you using your existing points? Each of us have different vacation schedules. I use my arp to book a summer vacation in a 3br for about 10 nights. Since only 1 four BR exists I doubt I’d get an upgrade. In fact the salesman was actually honest and agreed that based on how I travel Upgrades are very unlikely. I also book presidents week in a 2 bedroom at a ski resort. That’s the largest unit at this resort. Since I have a family of 5 and usually need a 2 bedroom I can’t risk booking a smaller unit during prime vacation times and hope I get upgraded.
Also timeshares aren’t the only way to travel. I often see better deals during off peak dates via other websites, not to mention several VIPs renting at slightly above the 50% discount. IMO for my situation even $10k is too much.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
A VIP ownership can pay for itself if you use it efficiently. The way to do it is to work through the learning curve, understand the system, learn the ins and outs and plan ahead. The key is to keep it longterm and take advantage of and maximize the VIP benefits. Our VIP Platinum ownership is twenty-five years old and has paid for itself many times over.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
A VIP ownership can pay for itself if you use it efficiently. The way to do it is to work through the learning curve, understand the system, learn the ins and outs and plan ahead. The key is to keep it longterm and take advantage of and maximize the VIP benefits. Our VIP Platinum ownership is twenty-five years old and has paid for itself many times over.
If you don't mind me asking What was price paid 25 years ago?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the documents I have and from what my parents told me it was $30K for the initial 1M points. They added more points a few years later. That's when it was Fairfield and the point system was new. There weren't many resort locations either. In today's (2019) dollars with inflation $30K equates to $59K. Wyndham more than doubled the inflation rate of the cost of their product. What we have sells for well over $100K today.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

Again, there are many things you can’t put a price tag on. Time away with family, rest and relaxation, enjoying the beach, mountains, cities with great restaurants, resorts, etc. I’m retired and I don’t want to spend my time doing accounting to try and figure out if I’m going to break even at some point in the future. For those that are renting out their points and trying to make a profit, great, go for it. That’s not for me. I purchased my timeshare to enjoy it with my family. It pays for itself every time we take a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
12 months out for a 60% discount. Make no mistake this was alot of BS to sell more developer points to a VIP that could not use or need. Another fine example of how Wyndham uses a marketing strategy to sell more developer points.

I think there's a lot of rumors being bandied about for upleveled VIP benefits. One of the items I've repeatedly suggested to several higher ups within Wyndham is a program to grant limited advanced booking benefits at a discount, based upon VIP tier. This is actually under consideration from what I've been told, which is probably filtering down to the masses via the rumor mill on some level. One of the many suggestions we've submitted is an VIP advanced booking program such as:

Advantage: none outside of the standard 15% 60 day discount window benefit
Ambassador: 25% for up to one standard (10 month) booking per use year
Champion: 35% for up to one standard (10 month) booking per use year, 35% for up to one advance (ARP) booking per use year
Legends: 50% for up to two standard (10 month) bookings per use year, 50% for up to two advance (ARP) bookings per use year
Founders: 60% for up to four standard (10 month) bookings per use year, 60% for up to four advance (ARP) bookings per use year

None of the above would replace the standard 60 day discount window booking benefits. We've also suggested similar upgraded benefits for free room upgrades.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking What was price paid 25 years ago?
This is actually a very good point that nobody has talked about for a VIP account to pay for itself.
Everyone wants to use todays points cost & MFs to figure how long it takes for a VIP account to pay for itself
A VIP has a fixed cost of their buy in, in this case 25 years ago
As MFs increase a VIPs savings increase but their fixed buy in cost remains the same amount
So in actuality a VIP has a better deal every year as MFs increase.

You take what 55plus VIP Platinum account cost 25 years ago verses what MFs are today, 55plus VIPP account might be paying for itself every couple of years. In other words as they state it’s paid for itself many times over not 1 or 2 times

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, there are many things you can’t put a price tag on. Time away with family, rest and relaxation, enjoying the beach, mountains, cities with great restaurants, resorts, etc. I’m retired and I don’t want to spend my time doing accounting to try and figure out if I’m going to break even at some point in the future. For those that are renting out their points and trying to make a profit, great, go for it. That’s not for me. I purchased my timeshare to enjoy it with my family. It pays for itself every time we take a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I call this balance. As you get older money is not as important as the time spent enjoying traveling. I spent the first 15-20 years of marriage not taking many vacations. The last 10 years I have gone on 7-10 a year. Long weekends or for a week at a time. The Wyndham system has helped me travel to places I may of never been. At a lower price then a hotel room. Thanks to my Uncle who bought in VIP and introduced me to the Wyndham resorts. I like the 1 bedroom with kitchen. I try not to stay in a small hotel room at double the cost.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
hi
We and had a sales session this a.m. with Deborah Harvey from the Las Vegas office. We are platinums with 1,359,000 points
She says if we up our points to 1.4 million points which we would need 41,000 points at cost of $10,400, we would be in the new "Founders Level rogram" and get 800,000 bonus points each year. (We could use those points to pay down $1680 on our maint. fees which would take 7.5 years for us to break even on our $10,400 cost ---Assuming she was 100% correct, telling the truth).
What does the forum know and think?
thank you
Jerry Whitfield
Winston salem NC

The only part of this "deal" that I would believe is $10,400 for 41,000 points. Whether that is a good deal is subjective -- how badly do you want to bump up to the next level, and what is your next best use of $10 thousand. The rest sounds like "puffing" from a salesperson.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is actually a very good point that nobody has talked about for a VIP account to pay for itself.
Everyone wants to use todays points cost & MFs to figure how long it takes for a VIP account to pay for itself
A VIP has a fixed cost of their buy in, in this case 25 years ago
As MFs increase a VIPs savings increase but their fixed buy in cost remains the same amount
So in actuality a VIP has a better deal every year as MFs increase.

You take what 55plus VIP Platinum account cost 25 years ago verses what MFs are today, 55plus VIPP account might be paying for itself every couple of years. In other words as they state it’s paid for itself many times over not 1 or 2 times
I disagree As maintenance fees increase its not a better deal for anyone. I think I heard this line at a owners update. You may have sat through to many updates and became Brain Washed. So If I buy today at $150-200 per 1000 points in 25 years I will look back and say this was a great investment? Even if maintenance fees double over the next 25 years will I still see a 50-100% return on my original investment every couple of years. Sounds like Wyndham math to me.