• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Continental tire problem

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought 4 continentals at Town Fair tire. At first I had a shimmy on the wheel so I had them rebalanced. The shimmy got better. Then I had a shimmy in the passenger seat. They rebalanced again and the shimmy got better.When the tires first start to roll and are cold, I feel that something is still not right. Also,I still hear a slight flopping sound when I travel 60 or so on the hightway. Is it me, or should I expect them to be better than this. I bought continentals because I had them on my Volvo and loved how quiet they were. I don't remember any problems on my old tires. Of course being female does not help. They are beginning to think I am loopy. Thanks for your help.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having a shimmy after being balanced is not a good sign. I think I'd get a 2nd opinion. Maybe from a trusted mechanic. It wouldn't be the first time a tire (or tires) had separation of tread to cord, or between cords internally. This is serious and should be investigated.

You mentioned 'being female doesn't help'. I am not sure this is valid, as you can tell something isn't right. Tire guys have terminology for when something isn't right. For instance a 'shimmy' would mean side-to-side involuntary movement. Like the steering wheel moves back and forth regularly independent of road surface. Bad balance would be indicated by 'bounce' or vibration that increases with speed. A way to test whether it's a tire is to rotate the tires to different positions and see if the car performs differently. If it's the same, you might be looking at shocks/struts or other mechanical stuff than the tires.

Good luck and get it checked out.

Didn't you ask here for tire recommendations recently and were Conti's suggested?

Jim Ricks

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Conti's were recommended. I'll go back to the tire store. I wonder if Town Fair was not a good choice.

Last edited:

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally got the tires switched . They exchanged them for the Cooper Mastercraft touring LSR tire with a 60,000mile warrenty. The car is behaving fine now. It is too bad that proper service isn't given the first time around.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised. I had this problem years ago with a set of Continentals. After several rounds of complaining one of the employees admitted they were having problems with that brand because of the internal belts separating. Changing to another brand fixed the vibration in my case as well. To hear the problem may still exist after several years is discouraging to say the least. Guess I will continue to avoid them.