• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need to rescind Westgate

Lutharon

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm one of those that got suckered into the sales pitch one morning on our vacation, and decided let's get a timeshare. This was on Wednesday here in Florida, and we had home tonight, Saturday. Looking through my paperwork, I am aware I have a 10 day period, but nothing stating on how.

I called Westgate yesterday trying to find out what I need to do. Doing more research, once I get home, I will type up a letter, very plain, stating I am rescinding my purchase and I need to cancel the contract xxxxx. I did get a cd, but being on vacation, I don't know what's on it. Would what I need to mail be included on the cd? And to which address?

I know buying these straight from these companies are never a good idea, and need to get out of this! Just happened that morning that I allowed the sales guy pitch get me.

AnnieBets

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hand wrote my revision letter and mailed it while on vacation. Someone who bought Westgate should be able to tell you where to find directions/address to send letter.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hello all!

I'm one of those that got suckered into the sales pitch one morning on our vacation, and decided let's get a timeshare. This was on Wednesday here in Florida, and we had home tonight, Saturday. Looking through my paperwork, I am aware I have a 10 day period, but nothing stating on how.

I called Westgate yesterday trying to find out what I need to do. Doing more research, once I get home, I will type up a letter, very plain, stating I am rescinding my purchase and I need to cancel the contract xxxxx. I did get a cd, but being on vacation, I don't know what's on it. Would what I need to mail be included on the cd? And to which address?

I know buying these straight from these companies are never a good idea, and need to get out of this! Just happened that morning that I allowed the sales guy pitch get me.
Congrats and welcome to TUG. We track how much money TUG has saved owners by rescinding. Mind sharing how much the contract was for so we can add your amount to the total?

im sure others with more experience in rescinding WG can give more specifics but it’s really important to send the letter certified mail with proof or postmark and save the proof just in case. WG also doesn’t have to let you know they received the letter or give you any updates to the status, but it will be done.

congrats on saving thousands and welcome to TUG.

PS now buy a better system, resale!!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Hello all!

if you received a CD, the instructions are on it, somewhere in the fine print.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Send your letter to:
Westgate Resorts
2801 Old Winter Garden Rd, Ocoee, FL 34761

Send it USPS Certified w/returned receipt (so you'll know it's delivered)
I recommend noting in the letter that 'Promotional Materials to be returned under separate cover' then send their junk back by cheapest means.
It can take up to 45 days to see a credit on your charge card, and they are under no responsibility to inform you.

Glad you are getting out in time. We call them 'Wastegate' for a reason. Nice resorts, Lousy business practices.

Jim

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Send your letter to:
Westgate Resorts
2801 Old Winter Garden Rd, Ocoee, FL 34761

Send it USPS Certified w/returned receipt (so you'll know it's delivered)
I recommend noting in the letter that 'Promotional Materials to be returned under separate cover' then send their junk back by cheapest means.
It can take up to 45 days to see a credit on your charge card, and they are under no responsibility to inform you.

Glad you are getting out in time. We call them 'Wastegate' for a reason. Nice resorts, Lousy business practices.

Jim
^^^^^^^ Please follow this good advice; you have thousands of dollars on the line.

Lutharon

Reaction score
I appreciate it everyone. It was around a $12,000 flex plan. I didnt have time today sadly, as my flight was today and didnt have time to run it up there. I plan on certifying mail it on Monday with a return receipt to make sure I'm covered, and will look through the fine print this weekend before it's too late!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you are rescinding and have managed to save yourself 12,000 hard earned dollars.

I don't think any TUG members will recommend the Wastegate Timeshare System, but if you are absolutely determined you want a Wastegate Timeshare then you can see that several owners (other posters) are giving them away for FREE. Just check out the "Free Timeshare Giveaway" postings category here on TUG.

Once you mail your rescission letter beware that Wastegate may attempt to call you and talk you out of rescission (including offering you a much better deal). Pay no attention to those sales weasels hiding behind the Wastegate curtain. Just say NO.

Reaction score
As a side note, the POSTMARK is what is important. If your letter is sent and postmarked 10 days after the date on your contract, you are fine. Wastegate has been known to reject rescission because the letter arrived late, but courts have said the postmark date is enough. But, it's better to get it out ASAP.

TS

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I appreciate it everyone. It was around a $12,000 flex plan. I didnt have time today sadly, as my flight was today and didnt have time to run it up there. I plan on certifying mail it on Monday with a return receipt to make sure I'm covered, and will look through the fine print this weekend before it's too late!
Fill out the what to buy survey. I’d look to a much better system like Hilton, Wyndham, Westin, and some other lesser known ones like Marriott lol.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I plan on certifying mail it on Monday with a return receipt to make sure I'm covered, and will look through the fine print this weekend before it's too late!

Regardless of the content of any "fine print" that you may discover, stay focused on the indisputable fact that rescission (cancellation) rights are provided by state law (not by developer benevolence or willful choice or voluntary kindness).

If you submit your signed rescission in a timely manner to the correct address, a developer has no other choice or option other than to cancel the contract and provide 100% refund of any deposit paid within 45 days (although it likely won't take nearly that long). Rest assured that not even slimy Wastegate would ever dare to openly violate the law.

As already mentioned above, after your rescission is received you may get calls from hungry Wastegate sales weasels desperate to salvage the sale (and, of course, their commission). Since any such verbal content would be legally meaningless in a contract matter anyhow, you would be wise to not even answer any of those incoming calls at all. Just let the rescission process (and the law) work for you without getting in its' way and be thankful that you are dodging this bullet in time to evade slimy Wastegate's grip.

P.S. Be grateful that you made this unfortunate mistake in Florida, where the rescission period under applicable state law is 10 days (which, along with Tennessee, is the longest rescission period to be found anywhere in the U.S.). In most states, it's 5-7 days. In a few states (Massachusetts and two others), the rescission period is actually only 3 days!

Last edited: