• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need some help with public transportation for Seattle

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have a question about public transportation from SeaTac to downtown Seattle as well as from the King Street bus station.

Does anyone have input on the Light Rail from SeaTac to downtown Seattle?

http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Central-Link-light-rail.xml

I'll be arriving by plane into SeaTac and my dd will be coming most likely by bus from Vancouver. I'm not sure yet whether we'll be staying at the Best Western Pioneer Square or the Inn at the Harbor Steps on 1st near Pike's Market.

I'm planning on arriving before my daughter, checking into the hotel, then meeting her at the bus station. She'll be coming in around 3:30 p.m. I don't know what the area around the bus station is like, and what our options for getting to the hotel are. Walking? Cab?

All input appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Link light rail is the only real option to get downtown on public transit. Since the rail was completed the bus routes that connected SeaTac airport to downtown were eliminated. It's pretty convenient, relatively fast, and lot easier for transporting luggage than a bus.

What bus station are you referring to? King Street Station is a rail station. AFAIK, the only interurban bus service at King Street Station is feeder buses that are run by Amtrak.

You would get off of the light rail at Pioneer Square station, and exit on the west side of the station. Go up the stairs cross the platform to the other side of the station and take one of the exits on that side of the station. From there just go downhill several blocks to Pioneer Square.

The area around Pioneer Square is marginal. Not necessarily unsafe - I used that station almost every day for four years when I worked in downtown Seattle. But don't hang around and if it's after dark do be cautious.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks. Yes, I was talking about King Street Station, the one that serves both Amtrak and the bus line.

It looks like we're going to be staying at the Inn at Harbor Steps on 1st St (dd's choice). From Google Maps it seems to be about an 11 minute walk, I would think it would be safe enough in daylight?

Also, would I still get off the Light Rail at Pioneer Square, or at a different stop?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I was talking about King Street Station, the one that serves both Amtrak and the bus line.

It looks like we're going to be staying at the Inn at Harbor Steps on 1st St (dd's choice). From Google Maps it seems to be about an 11 minute walk, I would think it would be safe enough in daylight?

Also, would I still get off the Light Rail at Pioneer Square, or at a different stop?
For Inn at Harbor Steps you want to get off at University Station and go two short blocks toward the water (downhill). Easy and a very nice and convenient neighborhood.

To get from King Street Station to Inn at Harbor Steps you've got some good options. First, you don't want to do it on foot if you have luggage, not when you've got some simple alternatives. King Street Station is on Jackson Street, which is the south end of the downtown ride-free zone. so any time before 7 pm you can hop on any bus of the train and ride for free (Jackson Street on the south and Virgina on the north, and between I-5 and the waterfront).

So one option is to walk the four blocks from King Street Station to First Avenue and get on a north bound bus. Just check with the driver to be sure the bus stays on First Avenue all the way to the Market.

Another option is to go east from King Street Station to Fifth Avenue, where the International District train station is located. Then just get on any north bound carriage (bus or train, doesn't matter) and take the tunnel for two stations, to University Station.

No problem walking that in daylight. Almost as safe as walking the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta - comparable to walking near Market and Montgomery, whereas the area around Pioneer Square station is like the Civic Center area in San Francisco.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks so much! That is great information. Now we just have to hope the weather is decent (meaning not pouring........or snowing :D ).

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks so much! That is great information. Now we just have to hope the weather is decent (meaning not pouring........or snowing :D ).

What? Rain?? In Seattle??? Absurd! :hysterical:

Expect it will probably BE raining, and dress in layers. If it happens to NOT be raining, you'll have a pleasant surprise.

Have a great visit. We're a nice bunch around here.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
What? Rain?? In Seattle??? Absurd! :hysterical:

Expect it will probably BE raining, and dress in layers. If it happens to NOT be raining, you'll have a pleasant surprise.

Have a great visit. We're a nice bunch around here.

Dave

Oh I know you're a nice bunch. ;) I've visited your fair city before, it's just this is the first time I'll be doing it without a car. And to be honest, each time I've been there I haven't been rained on. :shrug: But there's always a first time right. :D