• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Some good Florida Advice

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone mention this option - We have friends who purchased a resale 3-br, 2-bath doublewide in a planned community near Clearwater. They paid less than $12,000 for it. We have stayed there, it is beautiful! Every bit as nice as any timeshare unit we have ever stayed in, with the convenience and charm of being their own home away from home. They have a monthly maintenance fee of around $500 which they pay year-round, which is still a good bit less than $4,000 per month for a three-month rental. The community offers a lovely pool, activity center with many onsite activities, security, basic yard care, all included in their monthly fee. So they have no worries about leaving it vacant while they are not in residence since there is gated security and always someone in residence nearby to keep an eye on things. They keep a car there, and fly down on cheap Spirit Air flights with no luggage because everything they need is in their home. During the summer months they often have family go down to stay for vacations since they're not that far from the beaches or Disney. Their community management also has a rental program if they ever wanted to rent out their home, but they haven't done that. Others do, so maybe you could look at something like that, too. Our friends love it, and it's definitely something we might consider down the line.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
A different suggestion

If you are looking for a rental of 3 to 4 months and want to save some money, you might consider a house near the beach in New Smyrna. Winter rentals there are usually very reasonable. Some of the owners that I know are doing little more than just trying to break even on the cost of utilities and upkeep. Summer is the main season where they try to make their money.

The weather can be very moderate as the forecast for the rest of this month shows highs of 60/70 and lows of 50/60. It can of course be colder in the winter, but it always warms up sooner or later.

A few years ago we stayed a week at a timeshare in Miami Beach. One day the low was 34 and the high was 38. The weather is never ever totally predictable. What you consider cold is also relative. We have snow birds from Maine that live in my southern Tennessee neighborhood for 5 months out of the year. They love it here, but I am going to Florida for 3 weeks next month.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yessa!

<snip> We have snow birds from Maine that live in my southern Tennessee neighborhood for 5 months out of the year. <snip>

Then you are very fortunate --- having such wonderful neighbors! :D

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister and her husband are renting a 1 bedroom condo in a high rise on the beach in Hollywood FLA for the months of January and February. They paid a nightly fee which ends up being about $3,000.00 each month. They brought their dog with them and were charged an additional $300.00 a month. We visited them for a week in early February. The condo was Ok, nothing special, but you couldn't beat the balcony with a beautiful view of the ocean. They have already put a deposit down on a different unit for next year in a different building. They really like Hollywood, bet they will eventually purchase.
Sue

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
my neighbors brother was visiting today, he rented a three bedroom home in Venice about five minutes from beach for $2400 a month, in a community

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister and her husband are renting a 1 bedroom condo in a high rise on the beach in Hollywood FLA for the months of January and February. They paid a nightly fee which ends up being about $3,000.00 each month. They brought their dog with them and were charged an additional $300.00 a month. We visited them for a week in early February. The condo was Ok, nothing special, but you couldn't beat the balcony with a beautiful view of the ocean. They have already put a deposit down on a different unit for next year in a different building. They really like Hollywood, bet they will eventually purchase.
Sue

OK. I like Hollywood, FL. What's the name of the apartment? AS another note, how do you find these buildings. Is there a website for 2-3 month rentals? Do you go through a realtor. What's the secret?

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dogs are welcomed here in Belize, your pooch will have lots of company! We have met many American & Canadian (& a British) snowbirds who are here for the winter with their dogs. Most of the people that fly with their pets have small breeds so they can travel in the cabin, the people with large dogs drive down.

The cost of living is much cheaper than Florida (2 bedrm,1 ba apt $450.US/mo.) and a cool day in January means temps in the 70's!

~Diane (a Canadian snowbirding in Corozal, BZ)

You good people have my juices flowing. As far a Belize goes, where can I get more information about short-term rentals. and yes, I have a very small pooch.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
You good people have my juices flowing. As far a Belize goes, where can I get more information about short-term rentals. and yes, I have a very small pooch.

When we came down for an exploratory visit in '14 we booked a 2 bedroom house at the Copa Banana from searching vacation rentals in Corozal (the town we are in). The owner has sold her own house across the road and now only rents the 3 houses out on a long term basis.

While we were in town we had a good look around for possible future accommodations. Many Belizians don't have the internet so when they have a house or apartment for rent they hang a sign on their gate. We also joined a few Facebook groups for this area.

We did find a nice waterfront house to rent through HomeAway but a few months later the owner cancelled our reservation as he said they sold their house. We were able to book our 2nd choice (Hotel Maya). (Btw when we arrived here we went past the rental house & the owners name was still on the gate! :mad:).

First you should decide what town you want to stay in. Do you want a Caribbean/'beachy'/tourist feel or do you want a typical local Belize feel? Then search on HomeAway, Flipkey or AirBnB, or just google vacation rentals for the town. The cost of rentals and groceries are obviously more in the popular touristy/expat towns.

Before you decide on a rental make sure you are clear on its location. We met a couple from the US yesterday who rented a house for 4 mos. off the internet. The ad stated 10 mins to town (but its at least 10 mins by car -which they don't have!) so they bought bicycles!

Hope that helps a little.

~Diane

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend the Space Coast, but I'm biased since I live here lol. My folks rented monthly at Indian Harbour Beach Club until they purchased a place. It's right on the beach and is wonderful. For the winter months it books up quite a bit in advance usually, so that's something you'd probably want to look into sooner rather than later.

http://indianharbourbeachclub.com/

Suesue1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exploring more options

I know you are looking at Florida, but since you are considering other options, let me throw out another: Port Aransas in Texas. My mother has been renting a house (a different house each year...she likes the variety) about 3/4 mile from the beach for the past 3 years and has already booked her new rental for next year. I'm currently visiting with her now. The house has 4 bedrooms/3 baths and she is paying $2000/month. We meet lots of snowbirds on our beach walks everyday. Her rental for next year is only $1800, and is a 3/2, less than 1/2 mile to the beach in a nice little neighborhood. Nice people here, everyone is so friendly. Lots of pet-friendly places to rent. She brings her little dog every year. There a lot of rental agencies here so you should have a huge variety on Google. Good luck!

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to check out the Century Village locations.

My aunt, who lived in NY for most of her life, went to Florida to stay with her grandson and his family after her husband died. She liked Florida so much that she sold her NY home and became a full time FLA resident.

Although she was welcome to live permanently with the family, she preferred to have her own place. So she visited a lot of locations and finally purchased a condo in Boca Raton. There were so many activities and free bus service to the pools and huge Club House and near-by supermarkets and to the beaches, and religious services, etc... I spent the month of Florida with her for several years and really enjoyed it.

I'm mentioning this because there are always owners who can not come down for one reason or another so they rent out their condo privately or through the Main office.

I do not have any current information but you might want to do some research on the internet.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marco Island/ Naples

We live in Naples and used to live on Marco Island. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. I also have family with rentals at the Riverside Club and Anglers Cove on Marco. Both resorts are on the Marco River about 2 miles from the beach.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
you do get what you pay for, my family is renting a one bedroom on Marco for two thousand for the month. it is not clean, the furniture is bad, the bathroom is really bad, the bed is extremely uncomfortable, it is very small, and they are anxious to return home.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
you do get what you pay for, my family is renting a one bedroom on Marco for two thousand for the month. it is not clean, the furniture is bad, the bathroom is really bad, the bed is extremely uncomfortable, it is very small, and they are anxious to return home.

It also pays to make sure the rental agreement protects you in a situation like this! I am curious, what condo complex are they renting in?

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're going to get away from the cold you might want to consider Arizona instead. My best friend just moved permanently to Tucson so I was envying her weather as I was wearing hoodies and jeans in Central Florida (Sarasota and Cocoa Beach). True, it's warmer than my home state but not what I expected.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the websites is shorttermrentals.com. I urge you to plan this waaaay ahead. Our friend failed to do so and couldn't find anything close to the last minute for under $6,000 (for something decent) in the Ft. Lauderdale area. There are also real estate people (don't know any but you could google) who do the short term rentals. Over hear I also like Deerfield Beach area - nice public beach and on the "other side" I like Marco Island and Naples. JMHO :D

Reaction score
Personally, I would recommend Pompano Beach. I have stayed there in a condo, which I found online, and it had a view of the ocean and the water was really clean. There are a lot of Restaurants there and at night there is always something to do, if you are looking for some party. I would definitely recommend it further :)

Sullco2

Reaction score
Sarasota area

Hello

We own a condo on Longboat Key, the barrier island between Bradenton and Sarasota. We rent it out throughout the year and rely on on-site management to handle everything. The key from your perspective is who will handle the details--the inevitable repairs, annoyances, malfunctions that--if they linger--will impact your leisure.

Be sure you're covered in that respect.

Our community is tennis-oriented with multiple soft surface courts, resident pros, and newly redone clubhouse with fitness center. There's a Jr. Olympic pool, bar and restaurant, fishing dock on the bay, and convenient shopping. All food essentials are two short blocks away but Publix is a few miles south.

Beach access is a mile away biking or slightly more if you need parking. Not a theme park in sight--appealing for some!

Our unit is a town house with a large garage; living area with full kitchen and dining area plus lanai that faces east and looks over a mangrove preserve. Master suite up stairs from that (so it's two flights) with En suite bath and double sink/vanities. Guest br and bath plus full w/d on that level as well. Spacious and can accommodate 6 if you use convertible couch in lr. Half bath on living area makes that feasible.

Rent rates vary with calendar and we've had both seasonal and vacationing tenants although demand is for long stays in winter. Europeans come summer and fall.

FYI you can expect to pay $4500/month February and March and a bit less January and April. Long term tenants get some discounts but not huge.

Fly into Tampa or Sarasota. Driving on the barrier island is very civilized and a striking contrast to the white knuckle adventures that accompany the slightest trip on the East Coast. I llke many aspects of the east coast of Florida but the driving environment isn't one of them.

Hope that helps as you figure out snowbird flight patterns.

taloa

TUG Member
Reaction score
donnaval

What is the name of this community near Clearwater

thx

Dave

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in Brevard County (Melbourne area beachside) and I'd recommend Indian Harbour Beach Club for monthly rentals. You might be a little late to reserve those months now though, but it's worth a try.

taloa

TUG Member
Reaction score
To Flvdl Family

FLVDL FAMILY

Thanks for you suggestion

LilyPond

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love The Keys, Marathon in particular. Lots of restaurants and of course tons of beach to enjoy. I have no clue regarding rental cost. I used to know someone who would vacation for 2 months each year from Pennsylvania to The Keys and would reserve the same unit a full year in advance.

How wonderful to get out of the snow and thaw out for a few months! Have a great time!

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
I love The Keys, Marathon in particular. Lots of restaurants and of course tons of beach to enjoy. I have no clue regarding rental cost. I used to know someone who would vacation for 2 months each year from Pennsylvania to The Keys and would reserve the same unit a full year in advance.

How wonderful to get out of the snow and thaw out for a few months! Have a great time!

We are going to Marathon later this week. What restaurants would you recommend? Any other things we should not miss? We will be there 5 days and will of course take some time to visit Key West but don't want to miss anything in Marathon.

TIA

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love The Keys, Marathon in particular. Lots of restaurants and of course tons of beach to enjoy.

Back in the 50s I used to hang out in Key West for months on end. After it became "discovered" I opted for Marathon for the reasons detailed above which gave me a nice home base from where I could take day trips to Key West whenever I got the urge.

George