• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need plumbing advice - new toilet

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Toilet in our guest bathroom is constantly running. I currently have the water turned off to the toilet to stop this from happening. We had a plumber come out this morning and was advised to have the toilet replaced as it's original to the condo (close to 25 yrs. old). The plumber is intending to replace the toilet with a model made by Gerber.

I checked online and if I researched correctly, the Gerber Company is an American company (which I like) and has been around since the 1930's.

The plumber has quoted a price of $390 installed. Was charged an $89 service call fee which will be applied to the installation.

I have no idea if this is a good toilet, good price, etc. I tried checking the plumbing company out for "complaints" on the internet, couldn't find any. (They are licensed.)

I could contact other plumbers in the area, but we have used this company in the past for other plumbing issues (our entire association had our condos re-piped by them 2 yrs. ago).

Any issues/comments you have for me?

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "wear" tank type toilets receive is to the mechanism - which can be replaced separately by replacing:

A. The "flush valve" mechanism - about $20 at Home Depot

B. The "flapper" mechanism - about $10 at Home Depot

While a tank type toilet can also get "plaque buildup" in it's water passages because of hard water, causing it's demise - this is uncommon with modern water systems.

If you have a "handy" person available, you could fix your existing toilet for about $30 in parts (my handyman would do it for $30 - $40 labor).

If you do want to go with a new toilet (because of hard water "plaque buildup" or wanting newer style etc.) - the price the plumber quoted is in line for a plumber supplied toilet including install.

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
As Ampaholic said, it is unlikely that you would have to replace the entire toilet. A running toilet is frequently the flapper, a cheap fix that you can do in a minute. I would not replace a toilet unless the porcelain was broken.

retailman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had all three of the toilet insides replaced with low flow systems. It was
like new toilets at a fraction of the cost.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
If you decide to replace the entire stool, here are some other considerations you should look at. We recently replaced several in our home during a remodeling because we have terrible mineral content (despite a softener) and they were very stained. Our house was "builders model" so he used pretty low quality items, meaning they were shorter in style and seemed to clog often.

Things we looked at:
1. Flush rating. If you go to Home Depot or one of the other big box stores, you can look at various models. The boxes will show their "rating" in terms of quality of flush. We picked the highest rated one, which was from American Standard, because it claimed it could flush a bucket of golf balls! In some more research, I learned it's because it has a wider opening where the water goes down, and a straighter route than some. After years of having to have a plunger handy, we haven't had one clog with the new ones. That alone was worth the upgrade because we'd recently repaired water damage on the ceiling below where one of our daughters had overflowed the toilet trying to undo a clog.

2. Height. Many of the newer models are taller - which is easier for people as they age. We went with a taller model, which is the current trend. Our contractor laughed that we were "trading up to the big kids one" because our old ones were much shorter.

3. Bowl shape. Elongated is the new trend, probably for comfort. However, that takes more in the room, so if you space is tight you'll need a more compact rounded one.

4. Water efficiency. There are some new models that use much less water, and even some that give you the option of 2 different flush levels. We didn't look at these, but there are available.

Cost wise, we spent close to $400 or so, because of picking the higher rating on flush and the taller height. But it's been worth it for several reasons, and we figured it was a purchase we wouldn't make often.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I installed Toto toilets recently, and while they are a bit more expensive than what you were quoted they are fantastic. An advantage of the model I bought is that they are single one-piece units. I believe this is the model:

http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=656

Note retail price listed on this site is significantly higher than what you will pay. When I researched toilets several independent stores told me this was the model of choice, which my contrctor agreed with, so I paid a bit more for them and am happy with the selection. Good luck!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Toiletology.

Click here for Toiletology Dot Com.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the comments! We had planned on remodeling the guest bathroom in the next few years anyway, so figured we'd upgrade the toilet now since we're having the problem. I guess I was more concerned on the brand of toilet that the plumber is planning on installing (Gerber) than anything else as I had never heard of this brand.

The current toilet is one of those "low" ones a few of you mentioned in your post and the new one will be a higher one ("trading up to the big kids one", as stmartinfan posted! :)

Also, this will help my mother out when she visits as she had made comments in the past about the toilet being so low and hard to get up from!

Thanks everyone - still reading your posts and going to the various links you've posted.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gerber is an OK brand - about like a KIA in cars.

Myself I would ask for:

1. Standard (mostly commercial) = Mercedes

2. Crane (also mostly commercial) = BMW

3. Kohler :cheer: = Cadillac

4. Toto = Chevy

5. Gerber

http://www.theplumber.com/recommendedbrands.html

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we had our bathrooms remodeled a few years ago, we bought American Standard 2462.016 toilets. This is the residential version of a commercial toilet. They have a vacuum tank in the tank and the 1.6-gallon flush is vacuum-assisted. (There's also a 1.1-gallon version, slightly more expensive.)

They're noisy, and that's the reason they're not that popular for homes, but if you don't mind the noise, they're GREAT. Never a worry, never get clogged, never overflow. They cost about $400 new, but they are well worth it. PM me if you want more info!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're very happy with our low-flow one, it flushes more powerfully than the oldies.

One relatively minor point regarding the model. If you like to put tissue boxes etc on the tank's lid, look for one with a flat lid. Ours is slightly domed, so we can't put anything on it. It's not the kind of thing that we would have thought of or noticed before buying, so just a heads up! :hi:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I researched the toilet issue obsessively a couple of years ago and I also have to recommend the Toto. We have now installed three Drake models, purchased from homeclick.com . No problems at all. They do what they say they will do every time. Ours cost about $250 - $300 each, and my husband installed them. Homeclick seems to have great sales, and they delivered the toilet right to our door.

You can find more information that you could ever want to know on the gardenweb bathroom forums: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/bath/

(Kind of embarrassed that I have this information in my head. Guess I took the toilet decision a bit too seriously, lol)

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Toilet in our guest bathroom is constantly running. I currently have the water turned off to the toilet to stop this from happening. We had a plumber come out this morning and was advised to have the toilet replaced as it's original to the condo (close to 25 yrs. old). The plumber is intending to replace the toilet with a model made by Gerber.

I checked online and if I researched correctly, the Gerber Company is an American company (which I like) and has been around since the 1930's.

The plumber has quoted a price of $390 installed. Was charged an $89 service call fee which will be applied to the installation.

I have no idea if this is a good toilet, good price, etc. I tried checking the plumbing company out for "complaints" on the internet, couldn't find any. (They are licensed.)

I could contact other plumbers in the area, but we have used this company in the past for other plumbing issues (our entire association had our condos re-piped by them 2 yrs. ago).

Any issues/comments you have for me?
If you plan to remodel in a few years buy new internals for between $20 and $40. If you buy a new toilet look at new sinks and bathtubs as well. Finding matching fixtures after a couple of years can be an adventure

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Read your own link! He recommends three Toto toilets FIRST. Standard = Mercedes? :hysterical:

There is no need for that, I am left to assume you don't like Mercedes? He wasn't recomending commercial toilets - and anyway I can have a lower opinion of Toto toilets than my link does. :p :p :p :p

FYI - If you can find a "Standard" Brand toilet it will be the finest commercial toilet you can get, if you spend your cash on an "American Standard" non commercial toilet from Home Depot - well, you'll get what you pay for.

It is true that since American bought out "Standard" and "Crane" the quality of both has been slipping - so I will recommend a Kohler - just to be safe.

But geeezeummms - turlets ain't rocket science. :rofl:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Read your own link! He recommends three Toto toilets FIRST. Standard = Mercedes? :hysterical:

likely because of the mark up he can get on them - much like the Gerber. :eek:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
There is no need for that, I am left to assume you don't like Mercedes?

Actually, I just bought a MB in August. And I'd buy another Toto without hesitation. Of course, we're talking toilets here...shouldn't be that hard to find a good one...

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/bathroom-products/champion-4-toilet/

This toilet has a trap size of 2 3/8 and can flush a bucket of golf balls. The cost is around $250 at Lowes. Lowes will install this for $99.00.

I remember when congress passed the 1.6 gallon flush rule and most of the new toilets back in 1994 became a double flush. The toilet makers finally designed better toilets to accommodate congress causing the price of toilets to go up.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Call Roto-Rooter, That's The Name -- And Away Go Troubles, Down The Drain.

This toilet has a trap size of 2 3/8 and can flush a bucket of golf balls.
I'd be worried about the bucket-load of flushed golf balls getting jammed in the drain pipes at some impossible location downstream.

Do you suppose that's ever happened at a timeshare ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I purchased an American Standard Champion (the golf ball model) because I could get it locally rather than ordering a Toto Drake. Both were very highly rated as 'regular' commodes. I'm not sure I made the right choice because I eventually ran into a problem some spoke about. The valve system is different than I'm used to and seems to lose 'vacuum' which causes it to close too soon. I read of one solution which is making a mechanical connection by drilling a small hole and attaching a wire. It works but you have to hold the handle a bit longer. Otherwise it's been great. Hopefully things have continued to improve since my purchase because that one replaced one of the original 'low-flow' toilets which didn't work worth the proverbial ____.:p

akp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you even remotely handy?

Installing your own toilet is dead easy. I'm a middle aged woman and have installed many by myself. It is easier with a helper :)

It takes about 20 minutes and very little skill. The most difficult part is getting the screws lined up with the holes in the base of the toilet.

Anita

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Installing your own toilet is dead easy. I'm a middle aged woman and have installed many by myself. It is easier with a helper :)

It takes about 20 minutes and very little skill. The most difficult part is getting the screws lined up with the holes in the base of the toilet.

Anita

My husband has replaced 2 of ours, pretty quick job without my help. I offered but he declined.

Just took a look, both of them are Kohler

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I recently replace two toilets w/o any help.
I had one issue (besides lining up the holes over the bolts): On one, the tank could not be seated properly -- the sewer line was closer to the wall than it should have been -- so it leaked.

My solution: A ton of plumbers goop around the ring where it drains into the bowl.