• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need new Computer- PC or MAC?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently own a PC with Windows 10 but the computer has pretty much passed its expiration and useful date (nearly nine years old). As I contemplate getting a new one, I too am torn between a PC or Mac. I realize I am exhuming a thread that's over eight years old so much of the info in this thread is probably out of date.

My main question though is, if I were to switch to Mac (yes, generally more expensive, I know), could I transfer all of my programs, data, and files from my current PC? What differences and/or complications might there be? I have a lot of data and files that I don't want to lose. And yes, I currently have a passport that is currently holding many files and data from even older previous computers (all PC) that I would like to keep.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Data will transfer. Programs mostly won’t. You’d have to install the programs you use (MS Office, for example) on the MAC. The issue is that older software versions are not usually compatible with new operating systems. So the software would need to be upgraded. If you run any unusual software, you’d have to make sure a Mac version exists. Once your programs are ready, your data files can usually be moved, opened in the new Mac software, and saved as a Mac version of things. It’s a process, but unless you have something incompatible, you’d probably be ok. If not, you’re better off sticking with a Win 10 machine. (But you’d still need to install your software on a new PC, which might also require upgrading.)

Good luck!
Dave

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You wont need M$Office on a Mac, OpenOffice is free and will read msoffice file formats. The free Mac office suite will open them also.

If you have military service you can shop online at the Exchange, good bargains on some items and no tax/free shipping. I purchased my wife an iPad Pro for xmas and she loves it, hasn’t touched the old Win10 computer sitting on the desk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
You wont need M$Office on a Mac, OpenOffice is free and will read msoffice file formats. The free Mac office suite will open them also.

Okay, thanks for that info. It's not software that I would want to transfer if I went with a Mac. It would mainly be photos and documents that were mostly printed on Microsoft Word or Office.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Okay, thanks for that info. It's not software that I would want to transfer if I went with a Mac. It would mainly be photos and documents that were mostly printed on Microsoft Word or Office.
My last hardware purchase was a late 2012 Mac Mini- before that I used various Windows machines.

My experience with transferring my documents and photos from Windows to Mac was a breeze. I have never looked back since making the switch.

Recently I made what is likely the last upgrade to my mini and changed to a SSD and that increased the mini's efficiency such that I can likely get about 2-3 more years of use from it. The most recent Mac OS is the last I will be able to upgrade to I believe (Catalina).

I should get something over a decade's worth of use from my Mini. I have yet to see any Windows machine match that.

Just some food for thought.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

If the bulk of your files are just saved data like that, you should be good to go. As I said, if you have any one-off software items, it might be a problem to find a compatible program to read the files. But Word or Office files shouldn't be an issue.

Dave

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
You obviously have concerns with all the data you want to transfer so that will weigh heavily in your decision. I switched to a Mac about 15 years ago and absolutely love them. I was in IT and we never had anything but Microsoft Windows pc’s at my company. I couldn’t believe how much faster, simpler, intuitive, and bug-free the Mac was. Just strictly from a reliability and ease of use standpoint, you can’t beat the Mac, imho. The only reason I would ever recommend a pc over a Mac is if initial cost is an issue.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
You obviously have concerns with all the data you want to transfer so that will weigh heavily in your decision. I switched to a Mac about 15 years ago and absolutely love them. I was in IT and we never had anything but Microsoft Windows pc’s at my company. I couldn’t believe how much faster, simpler, intuitive, and bug-free the Mac was. Just strictly from a reliability and ease of use standpoint, you can’t beat the Mac, imho. The only reason I would ever recommend a pc over a Mac is if initial cost is an issue.

I agree 100%. I was over IT when I retired in 2012. About three months after retirement I moved our household completely to Mac and have never regretted it. I was so tired of fighting viruses and rebuilding my PCs. Haven't had to do any of that with my Apple equipment.

Our two MacBook Pros are approaching 8 years in age. I never had a PC laptop last that long. We've had no degradation in performance at all.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I agree 100%. I was over IT when I retired in 2012. About three months after retirement I moved our household completely to Mac and have never regretted it. I was so tired of fighting viruses and rebuilding my PCs. Haven't had to do any of that with my Apple equipment.

Our two MacBook Pros are approaching 8 years in age. I never had a PC laptop last that long. We've had no degradation in performance at all.

Just in the interest of curiosity and full disclosure, @controller1 - have you made any upgrades to the MacBook Pros since you bought them? I.E. Additional memory? Upgrading the hard drive?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Just in the interest of curiosity and full disclosure, @controller1 - have you made any upgrades to the MacBook Pros since you bought them? I.E. Additional memory? Upgrading the hard drive?

I doubled the memory of both immediately after purchase. I haven't made an upgrade to the hard drive. They both have a 250GB SSID. However, everything is saved to the cloud. I also use Apple's Time Machine and have a Western Digital external drive attached to my router for Time Machine backups.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you guys notice that this whole thread up to Post 78 was from 2012! I wonder how many of it's original participants are even on this side of the lawn! Or at least still active on TUG. We hope they are well and that those waiting 'on the other side' are R.I.P.

Jim

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you guys notice that this whole thread up to Post 78 was from 2012! I wonder how many of it's original participants are even on this side of the lawn! Or at least still active on TUG. We hope they are well and that those waiting 'on the other side' are R.I.P.

Jim
Lanny did acknowledge that but your point on the original participants is a unique and colorful way of phrasing your question!