• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Help Understanding Interval Deposit

juice920

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, can someone please help me understand how certain Interval exchanges work. Here's where I am a little confused. My brother has a 2br Yellow week at Williamsburg Plantation. Two years in a row he deposited that week instead of trying a direct exchange. Both of those years he was able to pick up a Red week at Oyster Bay Beach Club, a Five Star resort on St. Maarten. I would assume that demand for a high quality resort on St. Maarten would be high so why does Interval allow him the option of picking up that week? Does that somehow imply that if someone is willing to just deposit a week and pick up whatever comes along it might make sense to get a real cheap week since good trades seem to come up in return? Or am I just missing something? Thanks for your help.

lolalovestravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
juice920 said:
Two years in a row he deposited that week instead of trying a direct exchange. .

I deposited my 2BR lockout/off in II (deposited as two 1BR units) and I can check to exchange those weeks on a daily basis to get an alternate timeshare. I see great locations..BR at that... is this what you are referring to above?

Thanks....I am new at this.

Lola :p

Last edited:

juice920

TUG Member
Reaction score
lolalovestravel said:
I deposited my 2BR lockout/off in II and I can check to exchange those weeks on a daily basis to get an alternate timeshare. I see great locations..BR at that... is this what you are referring to above?

Thanks....I am new at this.

That is the process I am referring to. I too am new at this, hence my confusion. :)

When you say you see great locations in return do you mean that you feel you are seeing available exchanges that are harder to get than the week you deposited (higher demand location, higher demand week, etc.)?

lolalovestravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
juice920 said:
That is the process I am referring to. I too am new at this, hence my confusion. :)

When you say you see great locations in return do you mean that you feel you are seeing available exchanges that are harder to get than the week you deposited (higher demand location, higher demand week, etc.)?

First off I am not aware of any other way to exhange my units...if you can explain the other method I would appreciate it.

Yes, I do think that I am seeing exchanges that are of good value. I see many 2BR units and that is a free upgrade. I see Hawaii from time to time (1br units). It depends a lot on the date I am looking for.

juice920

TUG Member
Reaction score
lolalovestravel said:
First off I am not aware of any other way to exhange my units...if you can explain the other method I would appreciate it.

Yes, I do think that I am seeing exchanges that are of good value. I see many 2BR units and that is a free upgrade. I see Hawaii from time to time (1br units). It depends a lot on the date I am looking for.

I'm probably not the best person to explain since I am not yet a timeshare owner nor an II member. But from what I have read the other process with II is to do a search for an exchange (before depositing your week). If/when you find an exchange you like (with II filtering results to create equitable exchanges) you then have the option of accepting the exchange and giving up your week. This process seems best if you are trying to get to a specific region, resort, time, etc. because you get to set your parameters.

The question I'm hoping an experienced II member can answer is to what degree does II ensure that exchanges are equitable when you are banking your week first and then searching for available weeks? What I have heard seems to imply that you could get very good trades from a low demand timeshare if you are willing to accept the variable nature of that type of exchange.

lolalovestravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I check on a daily basis and look at what is available for exchange for my remaining banked week. (I already exchanged 1 of my two weeks (..twice..). See the post on the Good and Bad of it....that's me too. I find that the availibitily for a specific destination varies daily and certainly varies by the season. I can't imagine that the best approach is to take the exchange on the day you bank the week(s). Why not bank them and keep an eye on the options for exchange or even set up a request for exchange on a property that is not available now but might become available in the future. :p

Lola

Bill4728

Reaction score
The question I'm hoping an experienced II member can answer is to what degree does II ensure that exchanges are equitable when you are banking your week first and then searching for available weeks? What I have heard seems to imply that you could get very good trades from a low demand timeshare if you are willing to accept the variable nature of that type of exchange.

If you are willing to do the search yourself (not a ongoing computer search) you can often find great exchanges. The searchs are screened by the computer so as not to show you exchanges which II feels are too good for your deposit. So you can't trade a 1 bed green week for a 2 bd red 5* because the computer will not show it to you, even if it is available to others with a better week deposited.

If you have a very good week, II often shows you all the TS available. This means that you could trade to a less desireable week than the one you deposited. With a very good week , an ongoing computer search is the best way to ensure you get the best value for your week.

Hope that helps