• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Advice regarding RCI

lbeck

Reaction score
My wife and I inherited a timeshare from her parents. The unit is for a fixed week and the timeshare company is BlueGreen Resorts. We currently pay a $500/year maintenance fee for Oakmont in Pigeon Forge, TN.

We just heard a promotion from RCI that sounds good to us. The cost would be $5900 cash (more if financed) but allows us to stay at any of their resorts in a comprehensive catalog that they left with us.

I've been on the internet for a couple of hours and it is confusing. Most of the comments on timeshares, though, are negative. My wife wants to take the offer and I'm skeptical.

Can anyone here give some advice or tell me some things that I should consider before buying in?

Thanks for your help.

Lee

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
BG points have no resale value...owners regularly give them away for nothing to willing buyers.

there are also plenty of RCI intervals given away by owners as well.....so it sounds like you could accomplish what you are looking to do for about $5898 less than that deal above!

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're very wise to check out this "offer" before jumping on it. :clap:

There is a group (probably more than one) claiming to be a division of RCI and they are a total scam. They have nothing to do with RCI, and prey on unsuspecting timeshare owners who trust the RCI name. They'll take your money and your personal information, and you will receive nothing but grief.

Please, tell us more. Where did you get this offer? And why does spending $5,900 (or more if financed - which BTW would be a terrible idea) sound so good to you?

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
RCI Points Is Outstanding. $5,900 For Points Conversion Is Too Much To Pay To Join.

Can anyone here give some advice or tell me some things that I should consider before buying in?
Sounds like they're offering to do a points conversion of the timeshare you inherited. That is, they want you to pay $5,900 for another version of what you already have, just so you can start doing RCI Points exchanges.

If what you want is the opportunity to swap a week in your timeshare for a week in somebody else's timeshare, you don't need to join RCI Points for that. You can leave your timeshare as a straight week & join RCI Weeks. That costs a little something, but w-a-y less than $5,900.

If you really, really want to get into RCI Points, you can do that for lots less than $5,900. Just as 1 example, we bought an eBay triennial points unit at Vacation Village At Parkway (Kissimmee FL) for less than $300 total -- & that included free closing, free resort transfer paperwork, & free paid-ahead maintenance fees (i.e., free points).

That catalog of beautiful RCI timeshare resorts you can trade into sure looks inviting. The timeshare sellers sometimes manage to plant the idea (without actually saying it explicitly) that you can swap your timeshare for any week of the year at any comparable resort any time you want to go. The reality is that the choicest units at the best resorts in the most desirable times get snapped up quickest -- points or straight weeks mox nix. That doesn't mean all you can get via exchange are the offseason dogs & cats of the timeshare world, but it does mean your expectations need to be realistic in order to avoid disappointment.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

lbeck

Reaction score
Sounds like they're offering to do a points conversion of the timeshare you inherited. That is, they want you to pay $5,900 for another version of what you already have, just so you can start doing RCI Points exchange
I think you are right. We are getting tired of being locked into the same unit at the same time of year. The flexibility of venues and their offer that we would get 4 weeks instead of one and 1-4 BR units for the same price sounds attractive. We would be "Platinum" members. They tell us that this gives us special privileges like getting at the top of the list for preferred units.

So your advice, and the advice of others, is to look for something less expensive like your referenced eBay deal.

The deal does sound good, but I don't want buyer's remorse. I'm still open to advice and suggestions.....

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

I think you are right. We are getting tired of being locked into the same unit at the same time of year. The flexibility of venues and their offer that we would get 4 weeks instead of one and 1-4 BR units for the same price sounds attractive. We would be "Platinum" members. They tell us that this gives us special privileges like getting at the top of the list for preferred units.

So your advice, and the advice of others, is to look for something less expensive like your referenced eBay deal.

The deal does sound good, but I don't want buyer's remorse. I'm still open to advice and suggestions.....

With respect, you are being told some "half-truths" ( e.g., 4 weeks instead of 1, 1-4 BR units available for the same "price"). It might matter to you later when you inevitably discover that those "multiple" weeks are often low demand weeks in off-seasons, and / or that it's never actually "preferred units" being made available to you under your "Platinum" membership, but instead just a better spot in the line of hopefuls, a bit closer to the front of the line than those with "garden variety" memberships, for whatever units / weeks might become available at any given facility. The units don't get better --- just your place in the line seeking the exact same inventory.

Keep in mind that in the "exchange game", space availability rules all. The fact that you might want to go to some particular place at some particular time does not ever necessarily mean that there will be any space availability at that particular time in that particular place --- this year, next year or any other year.

Personally, I think it would be a complete waste of $6k for you to proceed with this "offer". You could give away what you currently own (and in fact might just have to do so in order find a willing new recipient) and then easily pick up a RCI Points ownership on the resale market for pennies, thereby leaving that $6k in your bank account instead of putting it in theirs --- and still having RCI Points to use at different times and places as space is available. Or, just rent and skip all RCI and maint. fee costs.

Just my personal opinion; you've asked. Not trying to be negative --- just being truthful in offering a realistic perspective without sales weasel hyperbole and half-truths.

P.S. That impressive RCI catalog simply means that all facilities appearing therein are affiliated with RCI --- nothing more. Remember the indisputable mantra that "space availability rules all". Space availability is never somehow just magically "created" by those glossy color photos appearing in that catalog. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own RCI points -- via weeks converted by prior owners at a resort I like.

I would NEVER recommend RCI Points JUST to randomly trade on a WEEK to WEEK basis. Almost 90% of the RCI Points inventory is ALSO in RCI Weeks inventory.

And for $5900 plus MORE costs to trade in RCI Points (did they mention an EXCHANGE FEE?) besides the YEARLY RCI Point membership fee?

So take 10% of the $5900 fee plus another $225 RCI Exchange fee & membership fee (estimated low IMHO) plus your MFs on your NEW RCI Points deed/contract (say $950+ yearly 1/1 or cheap 2/2 unit) .... YEARLY COST for a week's vacation: $1765.

Renting a week can easy be cheaper ... than RCI Points.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
another option is to sell your BG fixed week, and look into renting timeshares from other owners!

5900 dollars buys you many years of vacations at pretty much any resort you want in the world!

lbeck

Reaction score
another option is to sell your BG fixed week, and look into renting timeshares from other owners!

5900 dollars buys you many years of vacations at pretty much any resort you want in the world!
okay. Case closed. I'll continue to learn as much as I can but for now I've convinced my wife - largely based on advice received on this forum - that we shouldn't sign now (maybe never).

I also called a friend of a friend and he said basically the same thing as I've read on the Internet. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed. But I think good advice trumps a good sales pitch.

Thanks to all of you who kept me out of trouble.

Lee

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I didn't realize Oakmont was now affiliated with Bluegreen. My first timeshare purchase in the 90s was at Oakmont. I sold it a few years later when I bought at the sister resort, Tree Tops in Gatlinburg. I don't use II too much, but they always seemed to value these properties because so many of the owners use them that they are hard for the exchange companies to get. RCI gives my Tree Tops good TPUs. I was never tempted to convert my weeks to points.

The resorts have always been well managed with very modest increases in maintenance fees. Don't know if anything has change with the Bluegreen impact, but you could do a lot worse than using these to trade.

Sheila

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cheer up! A similar "deal" will be out there today, tomorrow and next week.

I'll continue to learn as much as I can but for now I've convinced my wife - largely based on advice received on this forum - that we shouldn't sign now (maybe never).

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed. But I think good advice trumps a good sales pitch.

Thanks to all of you who kept me out of trouble.

Lee

Yes, be thankful for finding TUG and having the opportunity to make an informed decision. You haven't missed out on anything.

The "deal" sounded good because you don't currently have the knowledge to know what a deal is.

You're not buying into the pitch.....you will have no remorse. :D

Congratulations. :clap:

Learning as much as you can before making a move is your best defense against buyer's remorse.

Welcome to TUG. :hi:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not to mention after a few weeks worth of reading and research, youll sit back and smile at passing on this deal!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
There is always this misconception going out there around that you can't trade a fixed week. You can trade your fixed week through RCI to go elsewhere. You do not have to use the fixed week to go to your home resort every year. So there is no point of spending more money to have what you already own.

You can also join via the free memberships some of the independent exchange companies to make a trade-they have lower exchange fees than RCI.

You can also exchange on TUG. And you can rent other peoples timeshares if you want some extra vacations.

Later- if you decide you're liking this timeshare thing you can always acquire points or more weeks for free or practically free here on TUG, on Timeshare Nation, or on EBAY, etc.

You have a nice low maintenance fee- that is a plus.

Keep it and use it, trade it when you want and enjoy.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yessa!

There is always this misconception going out there around that you can't trade a fixed week. You can trade your fixed week through RCI to go elsewhere. You do not have to use the fixed week to go to your home resort every year. So there is no point of spending more money to have what you already own.

You can also join via the free memberships some of the independent exchange companies to make a trade-they have lower exchange fees than RCI.

You can also exchange on TUG. And you can rent other peoples timeshares if you want some extra vacations.

Later- if you decide you're liking this timeshare thing you can always acquire points or more weeks for free or practically free here on TUG, on Timeshare Nation, or on EBAY, etc.

You have a nice low maintenance fee- that is a plus.

Keep it and use it, trade it when you want and enjoy.

Although I'm certainly no fan of RCI, IMnsHO these are wise words containing solid and insightful input and advice.

rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oakmont is not a Bluegreen resort - it is an independent, with an on-site manager reporting to an elected HOA board. Also, the maintenance fee is not $500 - it is $405 for 2016, which is the same as it was for 2014 and 2015.

This is an unusual resort in that the maintenance fees are the same for all the units, regardless of unit size.

Weeks 22 thru 35 and 40 thru 43 are fixed weeks - the remainder of the weeks are floating.

The resort was originally sold with the units exchanging as weeks through II. In 1989, after about half the units had been sold, the developer switched to RCI. and the units sold afterward continued to exchange as weeks, but through RCI instead of II. When the resort had been been nearly sold out, they began selling conversions to RCI Points.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oakmont is not a Bluegreen resort - it is an independent, with an on-site manager reporting to an elected HOA board. Also, the maintenance fee is not $500 - it is $405 for 2016, which is the same as it was for 2014 and 2015.

This is an unusual resort in that the maintenance fees are the same for all the units, regardless of unit size.

Weeks 22 thru 35 and 40 thru 43 are fixed weeks - the remainder of the weeks are floating.

The resort was originally sold with the units exchanging as weeks through II. In 1989, after about half the units had been sold, the developer switched to RCI. and the units sold afterward continued to exchange as weeks, but through RCI instead of II. When the resort had been been nearly sold out, they began selling conversions to RCI Points.

Sure sounds like you know exactly what you're talking about on this, making me wonder how / where OP came up with a reference to BlueGreen. :confused::shrug::confused:

Any chance that BlueGreen is the management company? I know that a relative owns a timeshare week at an "independent" resort (located in Daytona Beach Shores, FL) at which BlueGreen is indeed the management company, but all weeks there are fixed weeks and Bluegreen has no other presence or influence or "points" ownerships there whatsoever (at least AFAIK) --- BG just simply manages the property. Could it perhaps be a comparable situation at Oakmont? I dunno, don't claim to. :shrug:

Last edited:

rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oakmont does not have an outside management company. Since 1989, when I first purchased a unit there, the resort HOA board of directors has hired a general manager to oversee the operation of the resort. This general manager reports only to the board.

While I no longer own that first unit, I do own a resale unit at Oakmont and stay up to date on what is happening there.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oakmont does not have an outside management company. Since 1989, when I first purchased a unit there, the resort HOA board of directors has hired a general manager to oversee the operation of the resort. This general manager reports only to the board.

While I no longer own that first unit, I do own a resale unit at Oakmont and stay up to date on what is happening there.

Gotcha --- it was just a speculative question / theory, now abandoned.

Still don't know how / why OP introduced BlueGreen into the conversation though. :shrug:

juri57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bed & Breakfast

I own Royal Aloha in six locations and Alhambra near Disneyworld. Have been a time share owner since the 70's. I have come to the conclusion that all the negatives you read on the internet are true. You pay a handy fee to purchase the time share then you have to pay hefty maintenance fees on an annual basis no matter if you go or not go. We have recently spent six weeks in Europe and never used the RCI exchanges (which cost you an additional $209.00). We stayed in Bed & Breakfasts for anywhere from $250.00 to $350.00 for a one bedroom apartment for the week. That was on the Amalfi coast in Italy and near Assisi Italy. In Croatia along the Adriatic coast we stayed in a one bedroom apartment for $20 Euros for the night.

My $650.00 maintenance fee for Royal Aloha would get me two weeks in Italy. My $850.00 maintenance fee for Alhambra would get me three weeks in Italy. I am sure that, for $650.00, you can find a B&B anywhere in Europe. Even in Venice, which is considered expensive, you could find a place for that kind of money.

Look on the internet. Search for B&B's and you will be surprised how cheap you can get away for. Just need to do a bit of planning and research. We have traveled through most of western Europe as well as China 2 times, Mexico, Indonesia, and Thailand and always found reasonable accommodations. Never stayed in expensive Hotels but more in Pensions and B&B's.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
AirBnB

I am sure that, for $650.00, you can find a B&B anywhere in Europe. Even in Venice, which is considered expensive, you could find a place for that kind of money.

Look on the internet. Search for B&B's and you will be surprised how cheap you can get away for. Just need to do a bit of planning and research.

Yes, and AirBnB adds an entire new dimension to the search.